Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:27   #1
TheGreatGonzo
Clown Hunter

Is recent Jackson domestic shooting going to give Frank an excuse...

...to attempt to pass city laws regarding firearms? In the extensive news coverage of this past Monday's shooting death of Doris Shavers, the press keep referring to Phillip's (suspect) guns as "unregistered". Registered with who ?!? There is no gun registration in Mississippi. Furthermore, the focus appears to be on the fact that JPD responded to the residence twice on that night prior to the shooting, ran NCIC checks on Phillip's guns, but did not "confiscate" them. Frank, in classic style, has already told the press he has "fired" several police officers. Chief Shirlene "Empty Uniform" Anderson, on the other hand, states that is not true and that the internal affairs investigation is ongoing. I can't help but wonder if Frank is not going to use this incident (which is, without question, a tragedy and a heinous crime) to attempt to enact new laws in Jackson. He might know that he will never get a "gun registration" law passed, but I could see him pushing a city ordinance that states police officers can take away your firearms if the city sees fit. What do you folks think?
Gonzo
TheGreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:25   #2
Cliff Cargill

Just.Let.Him.Try.

The NRA...we'll be a waitin'.
Cliff Cargill-Mississippi Glocker #112
NRA Firearms Instructor (1992) (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Safety, Personal Protection)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life (1991)
USPSA Life (L-1610) ICORE Life (LMS1972)
Cliff Cargill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42   #3
trbaldridge

Re: Is recent Jackson domestic shooting going to give Frank an excuse...

Quote:
[i] I can't help but wonder if Frank is not going to use this incident (which is, without question, a tragedy and a heinous crime) to attempt to enact new laws in Jackson. He might know that he will never get a "gun registration" law passed, but I could see him pushing a city ordinance that states police officers can take away your firearms if the city sees fit. What do you folks think?
Gonzo [/B]
In that same vein, does Frank still carry his "unregistered" guns? Were any of his convictions serious enough to take away his carry permit? I guess I should pay better attention to stuff like that, but living in Vicksburg instead of Jackson...

Hope to be at ICORE tomorrow if the weather is good (kid took my truck and my wife is out of town so my only mode of transport only has two wheels and no roof).

terry
trbaldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:49   #4
Cliff Cargill

!

They say we're not getting rain until late afternoon. So come on!
NRA Firearms Instructor (1992) (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Safety, Personal Protection)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life (1991)
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56   #5
trbaldridge

Re: !

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Cargill
They say we're not getting rain until late afternoon. So come on!
That is the plan, Cliff. ICORE till lunch, then over to Brooks' to help him put some siding on his barn. I might want it to rain on the way home after that. The saddlebags and trunk have proven quite waterproof in previous outings. As a matter of fact, so have I.

terry
trbaldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 15:01   #6
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

Gonzo,

A city, in Mississippi, does not have the authority to regulate the carrying of arms within it.. It does, however, have the authority to regulate the discharge of weapons.

He can try all he wants. Just like he tried to shut down gun shows.
Old 09-21-2007, 19:20   #7
PARAGON

Re: Is recent Jackson domestic shooting going to give Frank an excuse...

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatGonzo
...to attempt to pass city laws regarding firearms? In the extensive news coverage of this past Monday's shooting death of Doris Shavers, the press keep referring to Phillip's (suspect) guns as "unregistered". Registered with who ?!? There is no gun registration in Mississippi. Furthermore, the focus appears to be on the fact that JPD responded to the residence twice on that night prior to the shooting, ran NCIC checks on Phillip's guns, but did not "confiscate" them. Frank, in classic style, has already told the press he has "fired" several police officers. Chief Shirlene "Empty Uniform" Anderson, on the other hand, states that is not true and that the internal affairs investigation is ongoing. I can't help but wonder if Frank is not going to use this incident (which is, without question, a tragedy and a heinous crime) to attempt to enact new laws in Jackson. He might know that he will never get a "gun registration" law passed, but I could see him pushing a city ordinance that states police officers can take away your firearms if the city sees fit. What do you folks think?
Gonzo
4th Amendment
PARAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 20:17   #8
TheGreatGonzo
Clown Hunter

Oh, I realize that the law would indicate it would not be possible. However, look at other cities that have, despite what their state constitutions say, instituted "city specific" laws and statutes regarding firearms: San Fran; NYC; Chicago; etc. I could definitely imagine Frank trying to make it happen.
Gonzo
Old 09-22-2007, 02:17   #9
Dauntless452003

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatGonzo
Oh, I realize that the law would indicate it would not be possible. However, look at other cities that have, despite what their state constitutions say, instituted "city specific" laws and statutes regarding firearms: San Fran; NYC; Chicago; etc. I could definitely imagine Frank trying to make it happen.
Gonzo
I agree.

Based on his track record, I don't think Frank has much in the way of respect for State or Federal Law, for that matter and would, therefore likely not feel as if he were constrained by any silly ol' law the State of Mississippi has on the books. After all...he's FRANK MELTOOOOOOONNNNN!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:25   #10
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

I would have a problem with Frank and his boys coming to get my guns...
Old 09-23-2007, 18:02   #11
mcooper

Let Frank try.

Too bad I'll probably be in Starkville when he starts with his shenanigans.
mcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:22   #12
TheGreatGonzo
Clown Hunter

Did anybody notice the giant front-page headline on the Clarion Ledger's Sunday Edition? Top left-hand corner, above the fold:

"GUN SEIZURES...Is enough being done to take guns off the streets?"

I'm telling you folks, I see the handwriting on the wall on this one. I don't think he will be succesful, but I think he is going to try.
Gonzo
Old 09-25-2007, 15:36   #13
Cliff Cargill

They interviewed me for that story in Sunday's Clarion Ledger. There will be another story in Wednesday's paper as well.

This will go about as well as little frankie trying to ban gun shows.

The NRA will be waitin' for you little frankie.

You'll fall on your face once again.

www.nrams.com

NRA Life (1991)
Old 09-25-2007, 16:43   #14
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

45-9-51. Certain ordinances prohibited

Subject to the provisions of Section 45-9-53, no county or municipality may adopt any ordinance that restricts or requires the possession, transportation, sale, transfer or ownership of firearms or ammunition or their components.

45-9-53. Exemptions

(1) This section and Section 45-9-51 do not affect the authority that a county or municipality may have under another law:

(a) To require citizens or public employees to be armed for personal or national defense, law enforcement, or another lawful purpose;
(b) To regulate the discharge of firearms within the limits of the county or municipality. A county or municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the county or municipality or in an area annexed by the county or municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
(i) A shotgun, air rifle or air pistol, BB gun or bow and arrow discharged:
1. On a tract of land of ten (10) acres or more and more than one hundred fifty (150) feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
2. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
(ii) A center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol or a muzzle-loading rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:
1. On a tract of land of fifty (50) acres or more and more than three hundred (300) feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
2. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of tract;
(c) To regulate the use of property or location of businesses for uses therein pursuant to fire code, zoning ordinances, or land-use regulations, so long as such codes, ordinances and regulations are not used to circumvent the intent of Section 45-9-51 or subparagraph (e) of this section;
(d) To regulate the use of firearms in cases of insurrection, riots and natural disasters in which the city finds such regulation necessary to protect the health and safety of the public. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to the lawful possession of firearms in the home, place of business or in transit to and from the home or place of business;
(e) To regulate the storage or transportation of explosives in order to protect the health and safety of the public, with the exception of black powder which is exempt up to twenty-five (25) pounds per private residence and fifty (50) pounds per retail dealer;
(f) To regulate the carrying of a firearm at: (i) a public park or at a public meeting of a county, municipality or other governmental body; (ii) a political rally, parade or official political meeting; or (iii) a nonfirearm-related school, college or professional athletic event; or
(g) To regulate the receipt of firearms by pawnshops.

(2) The exception provided by subsection (1)(f) of this section does not apply if the firearm was in or carried to and from an area designated for use in a lawful hunting, fishing or other sporting event and the firearm is of the type commonly used in the activity.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:41   #15
Cliff Cargill

Here's today's Clarion Ledger story about crazy Kenny Stokes wanting tighter gun laws. This was the story I was qouted in.

Read all about it:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...NEWS/709260372

There's a place to comment; tell them what you think!

You have to register, but it doesn't take long.

NRA Life (1991)
Old 09-27-2007, 10:06   #16
para40
curmudgeon

Please do not upset Frank! When he is this way he is prone to pull over 2 school buses on the shoulder of I20 for hugs, very dangerous.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:03   #17
Ballyhoo

Hey Cliff, wasn't one of those shootings last week on Frank's street? Before we know it he'll have half the Jackson police department guarding his street while the thugs take over the rest of Jackson. I'm gonna have to start driving a lot faster through town.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:18   #18
Cliff Cargill

Yeah, and remember...little frankie wants your guns so Jackson will be safer.

Oooooo, everyone look at the big brain on little frankie...

NRA Life (1991)

Last edited by Cliff Cargill; 09-30-2007 at 06:21..
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33   #19
Ballyhoo

Guess he and Kenny Stokes will have to pry them from my cold,
dead hands.