SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2007, 22:32   #1
MissAmericanPie
Troop Supporter

Mass Casualty Incidents

Does anyone have any idea where I can get good information about EMS and Mass Casualty Incidents (including WMDs)? I am interested in educating myself about this subject.

Thanks.

Remember our fallen heroes and never forget why they died.
MissAmericanPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 20:43   #2
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Re: Mass Casualty Incidents

Quote:
Originally posted by MissAmericanPie
Does anyone have any idea where I can get good information about EMS and Mass Casualty Incidents (including WMDs)? I am interested in educating myself about this subject.

Thanks.

Try here for lots of training goodies:

https://va.train.org/DesktopShell.aspx

You have to create an account to take classes. And it might or might not let out of state people do it. But they have loads of FEMA and other sources stuff on MCIs and WMDs.....

FEMA itself:

http://www.fema.gov/about/training/emergency.shtm

ICS-300 (being about scaling ICS in a major incident) has some MCI scenarios.....

Scott

http://www.jw.org/
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 20:44   #3
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Re: Mass Casualty Incidents

Quote:

Thanks.

I'm hooked, myself. Taking ICS units as I can. As well as what the Commonwealth offers for terrorism training. Did a cool class a few months back about terrorism event that use explosives.....

Scott

Old 10-02-2007, 20:51   #4
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Having been through a huge mass casualty incident that made national news, I can tell you that all the NIMS and ICS crap is pure bull **** and nothing more than feel good training.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 21:16   #5
MissAmericanPie
Troop Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleGribble
Having been through a huge mass casualty incident that made national news, I can tell you that all the NIMS and ICS crap is pure bull **** and nothing more than feel good training.
How so?

Maybe the inadequate training is the problem and not the system? Just a thought, but since you have experience, you would probably be able to give an interesting perspective if you are willing to share.

Old 10-02-2007, 21:17   #6
MissAmericanPie
Troop Supporter

Re: Re: Mass Casualty Incidents

Quote:
Originally posted by DScottHewitt
I'm hooked, myself. Taking ICS units as I can. As well as what the Commonwealth offers for terrorism training. Did a cool class a few months back about terrorism event that use explosives.....

Scott
As soon as my exam is over I'm going to start reading. Thanks for the info. and the links.

Old 10-02-2007, 22:43   #7
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

Quote:
Nims does nothing but focus on you learning ceartin terms and the by the book way to label things on an ICS "map". What NIMS needs is a hands on class where you play the diffrent roles and actually do things, not just learn the right name to call a group, or task force, or strike team, or enema.
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 00:33   #8
D25
The Quick

Quote:
Originally posted by obxprnstar
Nims does nothing but focus on you learning ceartin terms and the by the book way to label things on an ICS "map". What NIMS needs is a hands on class where you play the diffrent roles and actually do things, not just learn the right name to call a group, or task force, or strike team, or enema.
+1

"i puke real regular. it's healthy. three or four times a year probably. good to get your innards out and warshmoff...." -mitchshrader
D25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05   #9
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
Originally posted by obxprnstar

+87

They need more classes that are practical based. Like five minutes of "Here is what we are gonna do" and 15 hours, 55 minutes of at least table top exercises......

Scott

EDIT TO ADD: At least in the ICS-300 class we are doing some group exercises about how to set up the flow chart and fill it in and how to use the resources you have

EDIT TO ALSO ADD: The ICS-300 "booklet" is about 40% the thickness of Brady's EMT text

Old 10-03-2007, 11:27   #10
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
How so?

Maybe the inadequate training is the problem and not the system? Just a thought, but since you have experience, you would probably be able to give an interesting perspective if you are willing to share.
Honestly, and I'm not trying to sound jaded here, but when you're surrounded by people needing your help you aren't going to be worried about command posts, incident commanders, logistics officers, operations officers and all that other crap. You have more important things on your mind and none of those things are really addressed by the current fad in training that's going around.

Give me the training I need to handle the first few hours of a mass casualty, not how it's going to be run after everybody has taken measurements to see who needs to be in charge.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 20:43   #11
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
everybody has taken measurements to see who needs to be in charge.

Short straw wins?!?!?

Scott

Old 10-03-2007, 20:56   #12
MissAmericanPie
Troop Supporter

Quote:
Give me the training I need to handle the first few hours of a mass casualty, not how it's going to be run after everybody has taken measurements to see who needs to be in charge.

Damn, I vote for you.

Sounds like there is some consensus that the problem lies with the fact that the focus is on the process and not the result, which should be getting people the care they need in as timely a fashion as possible.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:25   #13
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:

Damn, I vote for you.

Sounds like there is some consensus that the problem lies with the fact that the focus is on the process and not the result, which should be getting people the care they need in as timely a fashion as possible.

Yeah. The big deal in NIMS seems to be getting everyone to call the right thing a "tanker".....

Scott