Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2014, 19:21   #1
Nemesis Lead

New the Kahrs. Question about magazines

I am new to Kahrs. Concealed carry may become a reality in California and I am considering getting a PM9 for carry.

Two questions:

1) What magazine options are their for Kahrs? I am only aware of the factory built 6 and 7 round magazines? Are their RELIABLE higher cap options?

2) What self defense loads tend to feed best in the Kahr? I am a believer that most quality JHPs have similar terminal performance, so I think it is most important to find one that feeds well. Not sure if Kahr has any recommendations.....

Many thanks!

Last edited by Nemesis Lead; 04-26-2014 at 19:21..
Nemesis Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 14:54   #2
mainegunner

Kahr

You are right on the mag capacity. I recently picked up a CM9 which is the cheaper version of the PM9. I shot a hundred rounds through the gun yesterday using a 6 and a 7 round magazines. Never had 1 failure of any kind amazing little pistol. You will love that PM9. Thin is in.
Old 04-27-2014, 19:44   #3
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

The kahr T9 and TP9 are a factory 8rd guns.

I have two Kahr pistols and have talked to lots of fellow owners and no one has found a reliable aftermarket mag.

The K9 is my daily carry, great gun, completely reliable.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 20:24   #4
Kalmah
Supreme Member

To address your questions...

1. Only the six round magazine and the seven round with finger extension are made specifically for the PM9. But I believe any 9mm Kahr magazine will fit in it. One designed for a larger model will stick out the bottom, but it will work.

Don't think Kahr has any recurring problems with their mags, but you'll want to test everything out first anyway before you carry it.

I personally keep the six round mag in the gun, and carry the seven round mag with finger extension as a spare.

2. My PM9 has never had a problem with any kind of JHP ammo I've put through it. But every gun is an individual and one may be more finicky than the one manufactured right next to it. So test whichever brand of JHP you plan to carry and make sure it works in yours.

I carry Federal HST 147gr +P in mine.
Old 04-27-2014, 20:28   #5
Nemesis Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
To address your questions...

1. Only the six round magazine and the seven round with finger extension are made specifically for the PM9. But I believe any 9mm Kahr magazine will fit in it. One designed for a larger model will stick out the bottom, but it will work.

Don't think Kahr has any recurring problems with their mags, but you'll want to test everything out first anyway before you carry it.

I personally keep the six round mag in the gun, and carry the seven round mag with finger extension as a spare.

2. My PM9 has never had a problem with any kind of JHP ammo I've put through it. But every gun is an individual and one may be more finicky than the one manufactured right next to it. So test whichever brand of JHP you plan to carry and make sure it works in yours.

I carry Federal HST 147gr +P in mine.
Good to know! I just picked up Federal HST in 147 grain as well (although mine is not +P). I also picked up 3 7 round mags and 1 more 6 rounder.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:15   #6
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Lead View Post
I am new to Kahrs. Concealed carry may become a reality in California and I am considering getting a PM9 for carry.

Two questions:

1) What magazine options are their for Kahrs? I am only aware of the factory built 6 and 7 round magazines? Are their RELIABLE higher cap options?

2) What self defense loads tend to feed best in the Kahr? I am a believer that most quality JHPs have similar terminal performance, so I think it is most important to find one that feeds well. Not sure if Kahr has any recommendations.....

Many thanks!

I own a CM9, and it has never had a malfunction of any kind, and I've over 1,300 rounds through it.

That said, it's definitely worth your while to head over to Kahrtalk.com and check out their "prepping" sticky on Kahrs. For instance, you'll want to thoroughly clean it, and check for some common areas where problems can occur. If you do the prepping as suggested, you should be good to go.

Bear in mind that the pistol when new is tight. As in really, really tight. So the prepping which includes hand racking the slide quite a bit will help break it in more quickly. The factory says 200 rounds is the break in period, although some folks like to go 300.

If you prep it right, and break it incorrectly, you should be good to go. At one of the ranges where I shoot, one of the fellows behind the counter is a former Chicago cop, a veteran pistol and competition shooter, and one of three on the CPD Testing and Evaluation team. The Kahr CM9, according to him, is one of three backup pistols authorized for use. He told me that after I had run about 300 rounds through it that I was good to go.

He's right.

As for the magazines, the 7 round magazine has some issues, and they haven't been remedied by Kahr so far. What happens is bullets nose dive, and failures to feed may occur. To avoid that, go with the 6 rounders.

Good luck.

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." and "Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Smooth_squeeze; 04-28-2014 at 09:17..
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 15:25   #7
Nemesis Lead

Thanks Smooth. Do you know if there is a 6 round magazine with an extended basepad?
Old 04-28-2014, 17:16   #8
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Lead View Post
Thanks Smooth. Do you know if there is a 6 round magazine with an extended basepad?

Yes, there is one made by Pearce:

www.pearcegrip.com/Products/KAHR/PG-MK9

The extension does not alter the capacity of the magazine.

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." and "Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Douglas MacArthur
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 18:15   #9
ripley16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
The kahr T9 and TP9 are a factory 8rd guns.

I have two Kahr pistols and have talked to lots of fellow owners and no one has found a reliable aftermarket mag.

The K9 is my daily carry, great gun, completely reliable.
I do have a bunch of aftermarket mags for my K9 and P9 that have worked just fine. They are 7 and 8 round mags that I got with the P9 when I bought it. In fact, in some ways they are superior to the originals in that the follower operates in a normal fashion.

Last edited by ripley16; 04-30-2014 at 18:15..
ripley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 22:32   #10
Dooger

I just had two SS mags Ionbonded in matte black to match the gun...stay tuned for a post with pics, coming soon.

I've never had a problem with the mags. I shoot 124 gr +p Speer Gold Dots. For practice, I shoot WWB and Federal 115 gr.

I have no experience with the 7rd mags, only the 6rd.
Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 22:37   #11
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

magazines are the Achilles heel of a semi-auto, particularly Kahrs. and Kahr has their own problems with their magazines.

go to the kahr talk forums and read all the how to fix your magazines tricks.

that said, I love my PM9, and never had an issue way back when I owned a K9 and MK9.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 04-30-2014 at 22:38..
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 23:04   #12
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
I do have a bunch of aftermarket mags for my K9 and P9 that have worked just fine. They are 7 and 8 round mags that I got with the P9 when I bought it. In fact, in some ways they are superior to the originals in that the follower operates in a normal fashion.
I was on Kahrtalk for years and no one has mentioned reliable aftermarket mags.

I gave up and sold all mine 8 round aftermarket mags, with full disclosure they were buying my problem mags.

Thanks for the info, if I ever find a T9 at a decent price, I may have to investigate them again.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 14:46   #13
ripley16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
I was on Kahrtalk for years and no one has mentioned reliable aftermarket mags.

I gave up and sold all mine 8 round aftermarket mags, with full disclosure they were buying my problem mags.

Thanks for the info, if I ever find a T9 at a decent price, I may have to investigate them again.
Wish I could tell you who made them but they are unmarked. I mentioned a 8 round mag but it only fits the K size Kahr, not the T.

Here a pic of the 2 different mags with 7 and 8 round Kahr mags. Note the different base on the 8 rounder. That's a 8 rounder in the pistol, a P9. These have never misfed. I kept one loaded for 6 months, and it worked fine. I'm guessing they're pro-mag.

Kahr Club

Last edited by ripley16; 05-01-2014 at 14:48..
ripley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 23:24   #14
ZombieJoe

Promag sells 10 rounders. Would I carry them? No. But for plinking why not?

I love my K9 but hate the price of the Mags