Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2007, 15:07   #1
Eric
Big Giant Head

Update 10-11-07

Hi folks. A lot has been happening lately. Here is a quick update:

I have secured webhosting in a new location in Phoenix. I will be going down tomorrow to set up the new equipment I purchased there. I will then come back here and transfer everything to the new servers. Then, it is back to Texas, to retrieve the old equipment. I will be refurbishing four of the newest servers there and deploying them at the new site as well.

There will be some downtime this weekend, while I effect the change. The downtime will be limited to the amount of time it takes me to transfer the GT database to the new location and set it up. To facilitate this change, I am going to prune back posts quite a bit, prune all file attachments older than two weeks, delete the search index table and I am asking that everyone voluntarily go in and prune old Private Messages. The smaller the database is, the fast I can transfer it and bring the site back up.

Then DNS information for the site will change, when we transfer. It is possible that if you have visited the site recently before the transfer, your computer, or your ISP's servers, may have an old lookup for the site once things change. If this occurs, you will not be able to see the site until that cached information is cleared. If the lookup is cached on your system, simply rebooting your computer will clear it out. If your ISP is caching it, try visiting the site at an alternate URL. http://aritah.com/ also points to GT. If you normally use the regular GT address to visit the site and it isn't functioning for you after 6pm on Saturday, try the Aritah URL. If you normally use the Aritah URL, try the GT address. I will have a 'We Moved' message up on the old servers once I have made the transfer, so it will be pretty obvious if you are showing up at the old location. No matter what, all DNS caching and propagation issues should resolve themselves by the end of the weekend.

Once I get things up and stable at the new location, I have to drive back to retrieve the old equipment. It will take me about a week to get there and back, although I will be working on the site during the day, while I am there. I will probably upgrade the site software while I am there, so that should happen by the middle of next week. We are getting close, folks.

The site changeover should go smoothly, but there may be some disruption in email notification services for a day or two. Bear with me.

So we will have some downtime this weekend, which should be limited to four hours or less. We will also have some downtime next week, probably Weds, which shouldn't last much longer. This should be the last of the downtime related to the changeover and upgrade. My new ISP has a 100% uptime guarantee, so once we get past this point, we should have some smooth sailing ahead of us. I will post more info soon. Thanks again for everyone's support. Eric
Old 10-11-2007, 15:20   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

If you don't mind too much, what are the old IPs and the new IPs for those of us who run DNS servers and have GT set up with "other than GT" names
Old 10-11-2007, 15:36   #3
PeterJasonMN

Never question Sharon's ability to crash GT.
Old 10-11-2007, 16:13   #4
AZBob
CLM Number 142
0-60 < 2s

Eric,

Just set the TTL of your DNS server entries to a low value so you don't need to worry about propagation time.

I'm curious. What kind of bandwidth does GT use up on a monthly basis, what's the total user account count, and how big's the database?

Christ is coming back soon, are you ready?
Old 10-11-2007, 16:40   #5
geekboy
Glock Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by AZBob
Eric,

Just set the TTL of your DNS server entries to a low value so you don't need to worry about propagation time.
Exactly what I do. I have my maximum TTL set to 60 (seconds) right now. You may want to use a value of 600 starting today, so that when you make the change later... it will only take the current master servers (and other caching DNS servers) only 10 minutes to "see" the change (purge the cache). You need to do this sooner rather than later so that within the next 24-48 hours, all DNS servers which have cached the values will now re-check every 10 minutes!

Glock 19
Glock 26
Old 10-11-2007, 17:08   #6
Reyn
Times Up

Good grief im computer illiterate. Yall might as well have been speaking in Spanish.
Old 10-11-2007, 17:19   #7
Bogey
CLM Number 242
The Mouth®

Send a message via Yahoo to Bogey

Quote:
Originally posted by Reyn
Good grief im computer illiterate. Yall might as well have been speaking in Spanish.

They weren't???
Old 10-11-2007, 17:19   #8
geekboy
Glock Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by Reyn
Hola, yo no hablo INGLES!

Glock 19
Glock 26
Old 10-11-2007, 17:53   #9
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally posted by AZBob
Eric,

I'm curious. What kind of bandwidth does GT use up on a monthly basis, what's the total user account count, and how big's the database?
The TTL's are set low, but there will always be a bit of propagation lag. The bigger issue is people with cached lookups though. Some people's local computers or ISP DNS caches don't clear as often as they should. For most people, this will be a smooth transition, but as always, I will have some orphaned puppies to round up.

I don't know what the new IP numbers will be yet. I've been assigned my subnets, but there is some confusion concerning them. I will know for sure tomorrow.

Right now, GT is using about 1.5TB of bandwidth a month, with throughput that averages in the neighborhood of 9mbs outbound and 2.5mbs or so inbound. The GT database is currently around 7.5GB, but I am hoping to prune it down to around 3GB for the move. Even so, that amount of data will take a bit of time to bring across. Eric
Old 10-11-2007, 17:59   #10
MrCowboy99

Quote:
Originally posted by geekboy
... maximum TTL ....
TTL = Time To Live Shouldn't that be in the Caliber section?

How appropriate for a conversation on GT.
Old 10-11-2007, 18:40   #11
js_gresham
CLM Number 31
Where am I?

not that i need 'em but i'll take one for the team and have a couplea margaritas here in cabo for you. . . then i'll duunrkn text mrs. vr for you, too.

keep up the good work, Eric.

js
Old 10-11-2007, 19:20   #12
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Oh crap, get ready for some GT withdrawal symptoms.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
Old 10-11-2007, 20:28   #13
Branspop
CLM Number
Daddy X2

Quote:
Originally posted by Bogey
They weren't???
I'm callin' Greek...
I'm sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we're Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration - Hillary Clinton

FBINA
odmp.org
NRA Life
Old 10-11-2007, 20:38   #14
freepatriot
Retired GT Mod

Delete your PM's, doods

Use the pulldown to change "Past 30 days" to "The beginning"

Clear out Inbox, Sent Items and Message Tracking

...every little bit helps, yeah?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 10-11-2007, 21:03   #15
geekboy
Glock Lover

Good idea to clean up to help Eric with the move.

Eric, is that 9M Bytes/sec or 9M bits/sec? Also, I know what you mean... Microsoft Operating Systems love to cache! Drove me crazy when I changed my IPs about 2 months ago. My stupid desktops had cached the addresses! I had to remember to use the old "ipconfig /flushdns" command!

I also use a local DNS server on my home network which caches... so I have to remember that one too.

My CISCO 3620 router has been up for 1 year 51 weeks!

Glock 19
Glock 26
Old 10-11-2007, 22:35   #16
RIPPED
G One NINER

thanks for the heads up Eric
Old 10-11-2007, 22:37   #17
Sidhe
CLM Number 255
Girl w/a Glock

Send a message via AIM to Sidhe Send a message via Yahoo to Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by Branspop
I'm callin' Greek...
Wasn't Greek either, something else perhaps?? LOL
PJMN: "No, it's because there's still tons of people who cream their underwear over the name "Kennedy", as if it's somehow ****ing magical to come from a bunch of drunks who can't ski, fly planes, duck, be loyal to family or country, or win honest elections."
Angry Bassets: "We can't use anything electric in NJ.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

It's much better for us to marinade resistive people in OC, and, failing that, beat them like seals, according to the liberal idiots who run this God-awful left-wing hellhole of a state."
Old 10-11-2007, 23:00   #18
Mushin
RONIN

so just tell me,,is the Internet address going to be the same, and if not when I go to the old one will it tell me where to go? Besides ...well you know
Old 10-11-2007, 23:43   #19
Reyn
Times Up

Quote:
Originally posted by geekboy
Hola, yo no hablo INGLES!
Me neither when it comes to computer jargon. I can prune my messages though.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:32   #20
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally posted by Medusa
so just tell me,,is the Internet address going to be the same, and if not when I go to the old one will it tell me where to go? Besides ...well you know
He more or less answered that question in the first post

I'm wondering if an index.html redirect page to the new IP would work. That one is a good idea.