Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:11   #1
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
Couture Calls It Quits!!!!

Randy Couture faxed the UFC a resignation letter stating he is resigning as commentator, ambassador and HW champion, citing pay and a perceived lack of respect. Couture also said that the recent signing of Fedor Emelianenko to Russian promotion M-1 factored into his decision as he considers that the only match he is currently interested in.

Couture is currently in South Africa filming a movie.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 22:52   #2
K-DOG

I bet we see Fedor vs Couture by the end of '08. At least I hope so. I would also like to see him fight Barnet one more time.
Old 10-21-2007, 00:22   #3
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
Wow...How can anyone not respect what he has done?
maybe he is asking for stupid $?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:23   #4
ksglocker
9mm Phaser

I'm sad that Randy did this. His contract was apparently satisfactory 9 or 10 months ago when he signed it. He's upset the UFC didn't sign Fedor, but apparently also upset at how much money the UFC was throwing at Fedor to try to get him to sign. He doesn't believe the fighters are paid enough (probably true) but is upset about other fighters making more than him.

At any rate, he's a legend and the Zuffa should have kept him happy, even if it required a huge bonus. They could afford it.
Every once in a while declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
ksglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 21:26   #5
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Randy had a VERY nice contract.

For the Sylvia fight, he got:

$250,000 base pay
$1 per buy for every PPV buy between 100,000-175,000
$1.50 for between 175,000-300,000
$2 for between 300,000-330,000
$3 for 330,000+
The fight did 520,000 ppv buys.
Randy also received a $500,000 bonus.

For the Tim Sylvia fight, Randy Couture made approximately $1,642,500.

While that isn't necessarily boxing money, that is still nice considering how small the sport still is.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:44   #6
osiruscyn
Broken Member

One of his gripes was the money they offered Fedor as a signing bonus. They offered him $3 million plus, just to sign. That's what pissed him off the most
osiruscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 16:37   #7
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

The catch is, he never asked for more money. He even said in his press conference that if he had talked to Dana, he probably would have gotten anything he wanted. Dana said the exact same thing.

Old 10-29-2007, 22:21   #8
Skpotamus

Send a message via AIM to Skpotamus
Randy said in an interview he was upset that they were offering more money to newer guys than they were to him. He wasn't getting some of the non contract bonuses that other fighters were getting.

I honestly don't think it was about the money, I think he was offended that they weren't offering him what they were offering others after all he's done for them.

Plus, he's getting older, and only has a few big fights left in him, he really wants Fedor, and since Fedor isn't in the UFC, why should randy stay?
Skpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13   #9
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skpotamus View Post
I honestly don't think it was about the money, I think he was offended that they weren't offering him what they were offering others after all he's done for them.

Plus, he's getting older, and only has a few big fights left in him, he really wants Fedor, and since Fedor isn't in the UFC, why should randy stay?
I don't necessarily think it was (just) about the zero's, either; but, even if it was, so what? Randy deserves it for all he's done for the sport. He's a real embassador for MMA, and stands for everything a Champion is supposed to be.

MMA in general has blown up all over the world, yet the top fighter(s) still get a relatively small purse compared to any other contract/bonus in other sports, namely boxing. One major bout and those fighters will make millions upon millions of dollars, yet their PPV draw isn't even close to what a major UFC card pulls. WTF? I find it hard to believe the "investors" aren't "available" to support giving these fighters a better pay out.

AFA Randy fighting Fedor, that (not Liddell v. Silva) is THE dream match die-hard fans really want to see. Even so, since Fedor's not available to Randy, he should still consider bouts with Barnett and Nogueira if he really wants to go all out since those guys are ranked #3 and #2 in the word, respectively (and he's actually 4th). Yes? No?
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...

Last edited by TRMN8R; 10-30-2007 at 09:17..
TRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:47   #10
Skpotamus

Send a message via AIM to Skpotamus
Barnett has already beaten coutore once, so a rematch with him makes a lot of sense.

Nog would be a good fight too, but Fedor is the dream matchup.
Skpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 18:05   #11
ksglocker
9mm Phaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiruscyn View Post
One of his gripes was the money they offered Fedor as a signing bonus. They offered him $3 million plus, just to sign. That's what pissed him off the most
Yet part of his stated reason for leaving was that they didn't sign Fedor. I guess they tried too hard but not hard enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8R View Post
AFA Randy fighting Fedor, that (not Liddell v. Silva) is THE dream match die-hard fans really want to see. Even so, since Fedor's not available to Randy, he should still consider bouts with Barnett and Nogueira if he really wants to go all out since those guys are ranked #3 and #2 in the word, respectively (and he's actually 4th). Yes? No?
I agree. People have wanted the Chuck v. Wandy fight for longer, but speaking for myself, I wanted to see it when they were at their peak, not after they both seem to be on a downward spiral.

Randy and Fedor are both on top. I would love to see that fight. I don't care if it is in the octagon or the squared circle.
Every once in a while declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
ksglocker is offline   Reply With Quote