Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:58   #1
Bosko

Wonder Classes in NC

I am certified to teach NRA Basic Pistol and CC-H in North Carolina. I teach at a gun store and indoor range in Rural Hall, NC. Prior to being employed there and since then, I hear more and more of our customers talking about a "Wonder Course" when I inform them of the CC-H Course requirements. I inform prospective students that the State of North Carolina mandates that the CC-H course be at least 8 & 1/2 hours long, not counting the time necessary for the student to shoot the minimum course of fire. The "legal lecture" must be no less than 2 hours in length. The minimum course of fire is 10 rounds from 7, 5, and 3 yards. It is the instructor's prerogative to exceed minimum standards. The course of fire for my class is 50 rounds. I will not issue a certificate of completion to anyone whom I believe is not "knowledgeable and competent". There are certified CC-H instructors who are teaching "Wonder Courses", usually in a garage or around a kitchen table with no shooting to demonstrate proficiency. I recently had a student in my NRA Basic Pistol who attended one of these courses. This student has obtained a CC-H Permit with the certificate of completion from this class. When this student came to me, not only was this student not knowledgeable or competent, this student was unsafe. The North Carolina Department of Justice is actively pursuing instructors who teach "wonder courses and the operative word is "actively". The results of teaching such a course and coming to the attention of the NC DOJ is loss of instructor certification and loss of Police certification if the instructor happens to be an LEO. Students who obtained a CC-H Permit from such a class will find their permits revoked by their respective Sheriffs. Accepting money to provide a service, i.e. teaching a "Wonder Course", is fraud. The student is not receiving what he is supposed to get for his money. This a violation of GS 14-100, Obtaining Money By False Pretenses - a felony. In my opinion, what is worse is that people who are not knowledgeable and competent are being put on the street with handguns. The anti-handgunners are watching and waiting.

Last edited by Bosko; 11-01-2007 at 15:37.. Reason: upgrade course of fire
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 18:49   #2
JamesNC

We'l

Just what the anti gunners need more ammo. I think these instructors need to be done a way with. That is all I want is a person with a CC-H that should not be let loose with a water gun. Also not changing the subject but when is you next NRA course and where I live near you and would love to take a NRA or any kind of Handgun training the more the better.

James
Old 11-01-2007, 16:19   #3
Bosko

Firearms Training

Check out this link (Message #10) for information on classes: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723276
Triad Gun Source and Indoor Range is located in the Village Square Shopping Center at 1013 Bethania-Rural Hall Rd., Rural Hall, NC 27045, telephone: 336-969-GUNS (East from exit 118 off US 52 - next to Tractor Supply).
NRA Basic Pistol classes are scheduled for November 24 and December 29. These classes are limited to 5 students. The CC-H classes are scheduled for December 8 and December 22. These classes are limited to 8 students, who must be 21 years of age and a U.S. citizen. Telephone Pati at Triad Gun Source to check if seats are available in these classes.
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote