GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2007, 13:57   #1
Koontzy

does your DD214 show if you went over to the mid-east?

I am wondering where to find it on the dd214?

-Koontzy
Koontzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 14:14   #2
Bevo1

Funny you should bring this up. I just went and checked. It is not on mine, nor is my expeditionary medal (not that it means that much!). I never thought anything about it until this thread. Guess I should have caught it before getting out, but I was too excited to finally be free! It been so long since I got out that I'm not too worried about it.
Old 10-14-2007, 14:16   #3
Koontzy

the reason I am wondering is because this place has a free cwp class for people who went overseas... . He said its only for people that went over there after 2001, but the website it says All soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines who have served in the mid-east theater of war since 2001 can take my CWP Class free of charge by showing a copy of their DD-214 form in advance of the class. .. I served from 2001-2005 in the mid-east theatre of war...... I didnt think your dd214 shows that you went over there?, so how would he be able to tell?

-Koontzy
Koontzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 15:19   #4
Bevo1

I don't have a clue. I also didn't know that they don't show overseas tours on DD214. Just thought they forgot or made a mistake on mine.

That's a good deal, though. I would take him my DD214, along with my orders and any certificates you received from the AOR. That should be enough.

Glad you made it back safe and thanks for all you did!

I like seeing people recognize our soldiers for something other than a political platform.
Old 10-14-2007, 20:50   #5
abe9090

It should say something like " served in a immenent/ hazardous area Iraq or Afghs.. and have the dates that you were there. It shhould be on line 18, the big open space in the center of the form. I would need to look on mine to find the exact wording, but look for something that sounds like that in space 18 of your form.
abe9090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:05   #6
af_50

From memory, I think on the right hand side is a chart. It should have active time, inactive time and overseas time somewhere in it. Also, I think mine says in the wording somewhere "baghdad, iraq in support of OIF". Where you awarded the GWOT Expeditionary or Iraq Campaign? That should proof enough also.

Just checked and section 12/block F states foreign service. Plus the remarks section/section 18 states "member served in Iraq to Support Operation Iraqi Freedom"

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

Last edited by af_50; 10-15-2007 at 18:12..
af_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 14:20   #7
Alfie

Send a message via Yahoo to Alfie
DO you have any orders..I have kept all mine..just my 2 cents?
Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 20:44   #8
Wolf Raider

Should have overseas long/short tour ribbons listed depending on the type of tour overseas.
Wolf Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29   #9
JoeM

Mine doesn't show any of my overseas time even though I have a Long Tour ribbon. it's a pain to get it fixed, I still need to get mine fixed.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:34   #10
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Mine shows it, but not the campaign ribbon, I have the expeditionary medal and the dd214 shows I served for Operation Desert Storm/Shield . some stuff seems to be missing, but you can order a fresh free set of records from the gubmnet, they will even send you a new set of medals and your honorable discharge pin if you request them.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:51   #11
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Mine shows it, but not the campaign ribbon, I have the expeditionary medal and the dd214 shows I served for Operation Desert Storm/Shield . some stuff seems to be missing, but you can order a fresh free set of records from the gubmnet, they will even send you a new set of medals and your honorable discharge pin if you request them.
The Government will do a records search and you do get one free set of medals and ribbions (not badges) but in the end it's up to the Vet to show proof of where they were and what they earned. Once or twice a week at the VFW I get guys saying well I know "I earnd medal XYZ and they say I didn't", after we do a form SF 180. In some cases unit diaries, rosters, TYD orders, and school records were incomplete or not filed correctly.

If anyone feels that they are missing info off their 214 I recommend they send a form 180 ASAP. Pay attention when you sign your 214, you may regrett it later.
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08   #12
Bevo1

Quote:
I didn't know there was such a creature as an honorable discharge pin. I didn't get this either. Do you have an email address or mailing address to request the changes? Mine says that I served in support of Operation Desert Storm/Shield, but makes no mention of my overseas tours, or Expeditionary Medal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine8541 View Post
If anyone feels that they are missing info off their 214 I recommend they send a form 180 ASAP. Pay attention when you sign your 214, you may regrett it later.
How true. I think I was so excited to be getting out, I didn't really care at the time. I remember them asking me if everything was correct and me saying, "yes", foolishly.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:10   #13
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Sure, here you go http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mil...-form-180.html

They are pretty quick, my microfiche was pretty damaged, they called to llet me know it was blurry, luckily I have the original.

As for the Honorable discharge pin, it was a Marine Corps pin,black and white with gold lettering and EGA on it.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:45   #14
Bevo1

Quote:
Sure, here you go http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mil...-form-180.html
They are pretty quick, my microfiche was pretty damaged, they called to llet me know it was blurry, luckily I have the original.
Outstanding. Thank you so much for the information. Looks like they're a bit backed up, so it will probably take awhile.

Quote:
As for the Honorable discharge pin, it was a Marine Corps pin,black and white with gold lettering and EGA on it.
Since I wasn't a Marine, that would explain me not getting this pin. Y'all think you're special or something?
Old 11-16-2007, 17:18   #15
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Glocknarc, all branches have a discharge pin. I bet when you left AD you weren't discharged but serperated, in otrher words you had had either IR or R obligations to finish. When you get your updated 214 it will be on there. Here's the Army's.
http://www.soldiercity.com/product-e...oduct_id/10534
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote