Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2007, 14:13   #1
Ferox

Traveling through NY state with pistol from NJ to VT... problems?

I wanted to see if anyone travels through NY state with weapons legally secure in the car(ie unloaded bla bla) and if anyone has had any trouble when being pulled over.

I often travel from NJ to Vermont and go through NYS on the NY throughway and then a few northern towns of troy, hoosick, etc.

I know there is the federal law for interstate transport but I've heard that the police could still give you trouble if they find out about the gun.

if i get pulled over by one of the cops in NY and my gun is secure in my trunk do I need to tell them?

any help would be greatly appreciated... I know the laws in all three states fairly well, but I'm worried about being treated like a criminal if I miss something.
----------------
Guns and Golf- the two G's in life
Ferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:21   #2
Patterson
Never Forget!

I travel the same route about once a year for vacation. I simply ensure that the gun is unloaded, cable locked, and that the magazines are unloaded & secured separately. As far as I know, that is the legal way to transport a firearm from one destination to another across state lines provided you are legally allowed to possess the firearm on both ends of your trip. Of course I also make certain that I have my firearms ID with me as well.

Not that it couldn't happen, but I can't remember the last time I was pulled over for any reason as I pretty much abide by the rules of the road. But if I was stopped, I would not announce that I had a firearm securely locked in a legal manor in my trunk unless there was a legal reason that the officer wanted to search my trunk or for example, if I had the contents of the trunk emptied onto the side of the road while trying to repair a flat tire.

The Handgun Law site might be a better site to reference rather than listening to me. ;-)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
G1-Niners Club #0007
Member NRA
Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 20:15   #3
thegriz18
Paper Killer

New York doesn't recognize any permits from other states. Unlawful possession of a handgun in NY is a felony. As I understand this law, if the handgun is stored in the trunk, locked, and unloaded it is legal to transport the handgun through New York State, as long as stops only necessary to travel are made. SO If you are driving through, stopping for gas, rest, food, etc.. is ok. Stopping to see the In-laws is a no-no, and against the law, unless you are resting, etc... Basically if it is severely out of your direct way of travel, its a no-no. It seems to me that this is a somewhat arbitrary law. Oh, and having a standard capacity magazine, over 10 rounds is a Class D Felony. Whatever you do, don't carry it on yourself! New York SUCKS for Guns, and who wants to see the in-laws anyways. Happy GLOCKing
Old 10-17-2007, 23:36   #4
Ferox

thank you both for your reply! i'm gonna make a copy of the law and keep it with me on the trip too just in case!
----------------
Guns and Golf- the two G's in life
Ferox is offline   Reply With Quote