[]; (function() { var gads = document.createElement('script'); gads.async = true; gads.type = 'text/javascript'; var useSSL = 'https:' == document.location.protocol; gads.src = (useSSL ? 'https:' : 'http:') + '//www.googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js'; var node = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; node.parentNode.insertBefore(gads, node); })(); Are all new 6.8's the SPC II chambering? - Glock Talk
Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:01   #1
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

Are all new 6.8's the SPC II chambering?

Looking at the Model 1 Sales kit in 6.8 SPC but it doesn't list weather it's the older SPC or newer SPC II chambering. It's an E.R. Shaw barrel but I checked their web site and they're not even listing a barrel in 6.8 SPC.
I noticed that the newer SPC II chambering is really a pretty decent round, 90gr bullet at around 2800fps or there abouts which would be awesome. So, does anyone know if they're only making the newer SPC II chambering in 6.8 now or if some older chambers are still floating around? thanks.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:32   #2
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

Just got off the phone with Model 1 Sales and they're using the newer SPC II chambering in their kits. Sounds pretty sweet.

*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*
Old 03-02-2015, 12:41   #3
M&P15T
Beard One

Oh fer chrissakes.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:44   #4
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Oh fer chrissakes.
Don't have nothing nice to say, well. See ya' in the ignore list pard.

I really get sick of some of ya'll being so f'ing negative all the time. You don't want to contribute something positive to the conversation then don't post. Is that so hard to do?

*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*

Last edited by TN.Frank; 03-02-2015 at 12:46..
Old 03-02-2015, 13:04   #5
F106 Fan

http://www.68forums.com/forums/

As near as I can tell, the chamber difference has to do with freebore. The SPC II chamber has twice as much freebore. Excessive freebore isn't usually good for accuracy. Unless, of course, you want to custom load ammo longer than standard.

One article I read said that no reputable manufacturer is still using the original chamber spec. Which means, of course, that no reputable manufacturer is complying with the SAAMI standard. Hm...

There is a lot of evangelism behind the SPC II chamber and it's supposed increase in velocity with associated improvements in ballistics.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...AAMI-vs-SPC-II

The problem is, there is no standard for the -II. So, you get a -II chamber with more freebore so you can load the round longer which gives more case volume for powder and, yes, you get higher velocity. What you don't have is a standard that says the pressure is appropriate. If you do these kinds of loadings, it is sort of a wildcat cartridge.

Can you really go to the store and buy -II ammo? I don't know the answer to that, BTW. Does the box even indicate that it won't fit the original chamber? I don't know the answer for that either. Very probably, commercial ammo fits the SAAMI chamber as a lowest common denominator. If so, you will have to reload to take advantage of the -II chamber. But where are you going to get data specific to the -II chamber that is PUBLISHED by a reputable source?

Hornady 8th Ed has data for the SPC but it doesn't talk about -I vs -II chambers. The 9th Ed may have more info. In any event, the info is slim.

Sierra doesn't seem to have any data in their Ed. V 5th Printing manual.

If you use standard SAAMI loadings, you might see a 25 fps velocity increase with the -II chamber according to Ramshot - reference in the link above.

I think you are going to get a -II chamber whether you want it or not. You could always call the barrel manufacturer. They will know what they made.

Here's where I would come out: There is no standard for the -II chamber. At least no SAAMI standard that I can find. So, I would reload to SAAMI equivalent data. Given that, excessive freebore is not useful in terms of accuracy and I won't be loading long. I would prefer to have the original chamber to reduce the bullet jump.

I know this is at odds with the evangelists but I don't need to be on the bleeding edge. In fact, a .308 will do everything I need it to do out to several hundred yards.

My neighbor has an AR <something or other> in 6.8 SPC. He can't find ammo! He wants me to teach him how to reload but we haven't gotten there yet. He has had the rifle for quite a while and has fired it just a few times.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 03-02-2015 at 13:07..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 13:52   #6
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no Evil

Sounds like a logical, unemployed choice.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 14:18   #7
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

Midway USA has ammo in stock for $22 or so a box which is about right on par with 300 Blackout, .243 Win and other calibres that I've been looking at.
Yep, freebore is the basic difference. From what I've seen it's easy to get 2500 fps out of a 110gr bullet which should be plenty on deer size game out to 300 yards.
I'll be handloading so once I get a stock of cases saved up ammo will be no harder to get then anything else as long as I can get bullets, primers and powder.
I'm just glad to hear that Model 1 Sales is using the newer SPC II chambering since I've had good luck with the last 4 kits from them that I've built.

*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*
Old 03-02-2015, 14:31   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Model 1 Sales uses very cheap barrels.........accuracy is marginal.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 14:51   #9
K. Foster

All current and recent production barrels use the spc II chamber except Noveske and maybe a couple others that have their own proprietary chambers.
Model 1 Sales is not a place I would go for quality parts.
Old 03-02-2015, 15:13   #10
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Sounds like a logical, unemployed choice.
I think he's not buying enough. He needs multiple uppers and a whole reloading setup to really make the investment. Who needs jobs.
Old 03-02-2015, 16:42   #11
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
I think he's not buying enough. He needs multiple uppers and a whole reloading setup to really make the investment. Who needs jobs.
Gotta spend money to make money, right?
For the last time
Old 03-02-2015, 16:43   #12
K. Foster

What's up with the jobs comments?
Old 03-02-2015, 16:48   #13
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Model 1 Sales uses very cheap barrels.........accuracy is marginal.
They're running E.R. Shaw barrels now on the 6.8's and I planned on going chrome lined anyway. Durability over accuracy and all that.

*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*
Old 03-02-2015, 16:49   #14
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
What's up with the jobs comments?
Just jerks being jerks. Ignore them and maybe they'll go away.

P.S.
I honestly don't know why it bothers them so much as to weather I have a job or not. We've just sold our house to the State for a road expansion project so we've got plenty of cash and spending a small percentage of it to buy a rifle so add to my one and only G26 doesn't seem like a huge deal to me but for some reason it just totally screws with them for some reason.

*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*

Last edited by TN.Frank; 03-02-2015 at 16:56..
Old 03-02-2015, 17:09   #15
TxGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Don't have nothing nice to say, well. See ya' in the ignore list pard.

I really get sick of some of ya'll being so f'ing negative all the time. You don't want to contribute something positive to the conversation then don't post. Is that so hard to do?
The irritation you sense here, Frank, is that you throw out several "choices" every week...people give you their take on those choices, then the next week (or the next day) you've moved on to something else and request more opinions on your next strawman. You've been through 870s, 11-87, Weatherby shotguns, other Turkish shotguns, Mossbergs, pump guns, semi-auto guns, bolt guns, 12 gauges, 20 gauges, .243 Remingtons, .243 Rugers, 7mm-08s, 22" bbls, , 20", 18", 5.56 ARs, 6.8 ARs...and God knows how many others on almost every sub-forums in this section. You "settle" on one brand, one caliber, one gauge, one action style...announce it to everyone...then the next day you're asking questions about some other brand, caliber, gauge, and/or action. Mixed in with it all is "if only I had the money, I'd by this, that, or the other today! Today, I tell you!"

Do you ever make a decision on your own? Do you ever just "make the call" and live with it? Does everything you do have to be by consensus? And constantly gathering opinions on some forum (any forum) where you know going in you're going to get opinions from A to Z? How does that help you decide what's best for your situation?

C'mon man!

Yeah, I know. I'm on your ignore list.

Last edited by TxGun; 03-02-2015 at 17:27..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 17:23   #16
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
The irritation you sense here, Frank, is that you throw out several "choices" every week...people give you their take on those choices, then the next week (or the next day) you've moved on to something else and request more opinions on your next strawman. You've been through 870s, 11-87, Weatherby shotguns, other Turkish shotguns, Mossbergs, pump guns, semi-auto guns, bolt guns, 12 gauges, 20 gauges, .243 Remingtons, .243 Rugers. 5.56 ARs, 6.8 ARs...and God knows how many others on almost every sub-forums in this section. You "settle" on one brand, one caliber, one gauge, one action style...announce it to everyone...then the next day you're asking questions about some other brand, caliber, gauge, and/or action. Mixed in with it all is "if only I had the money, I'd by this, that, or the other today! Today, I tell you!"

Do you ever make a decision on your own? Do you ever just "make the call" and live with it? Does everything you do have to be by consensus? And consensus on some forum where you know going in your going to get opinions from A to Z?

C'mon man!

Yeah, I know. I'm on your ignore list.
Very well said.
For the last time
Old 03-02-2015, 19:38   #17
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

I just want to make sure I get it right BEFORE I buy, that's all. If it annoys you then don't read my threads or better yet put ME on your ignore list, problem solved.
I'm still amazed that people who are on my ignore list keep posting to my threads. Oh well, they want to waste their time that's their business, I don't have to read the crap they post and that's all that matters.

*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*
Old 03-02-2015, 19:42   #18
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
They're running E.R. Shaw barrels now on the 6.8's and I planned on going chrome lined anyway. Durability over accuracy and all that.
ER Shaw barrels are nothing special. Simply stating a well known fact. M1S barrels are not known for accuracy, a 4-5" grouping at 100m is the general norm for these.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 19:50   #19
TxGun

Quote:
I just want to make sure I get it right BEFORE I buy, that's all. If it annoys you then don't read my threads or better yet put ME on your ignore list, problem solved.
I'm still amazed that people who are on my ignore list keep posting to my threads. Oh well, they want to waste their time that's their business, I don't have to read the crap they post and that's all that matters.

LOL. Good one.

If that's your attitude, fine. Personally I don't really care. Just trying to explain to you why a growing number of people here get irritated at your continual posts asking for input/advice, which people take time to respond to, often followed by "I've decided, I'm going with X", followed almost immediately by more requests for input/advice on completely different guns. Often followed by when I get the $, I"ll... ... Their understandable irritation seems to surprise you.

Don't you get that? In any case, I've now wasted more than enough time on you.

Last edited by TxGun; 03-02-2015 at 20:05..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 19:55   #20
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
ER Shaw barrels are nothing special. Simply stating a well known fact. M1S barrels are not known for accuracy, a 4-5" grouping at 100m is the general norm for these.
That's pretty terrible.
For the last time