SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 18:23   #1
sabrownfl

Sig, Colt, or Spikes- and why!

Okay, between these three, which should a newbie to the AR platform go with...
  • Sig M400 Enhanced
  • Clot LE 6920 Magpul
  • Spikes ST15 Midlength

I've handled all three (shot none), so I'd like the pros/cons of each from those who have owned them. I'm not worried about resale value so you can take that part tied to the Colt name out of the equation. I like the idea of a midlength, especially from a local company whose shop less than 15 minutes from my home.

This will be a range toy/plinking rifle for the most part. I want something that is reliable, and as accurate as my middle-aged eyes will allow.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2014, 18:40   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Colt, because it's a proven standard. Or buy a BCM midlength upper and build your lower, it's beyond easy.
For the last time
Old 01-28-2014, 18:47   #3
03scgt

You can't ever go wrong with the 6920. its a simple well built rifle thats been around a long time and if you ever want to sell it'll have the best resale(I know you said you diddnt care)

With that being said I'd pick the spikes because of the mid length gas system and the fact you can get it for several hundred cheaper.I've got a all spikes build with the hammer forged barrel and I'm pretty impressed with the quality and reliability of it.Ive got alittle over 1100 rounds rounds out if it in the last 3 months and it shoots everything without an issue

The Sig ive got no first hand experience with
Old 01-28-2014, 18:52   #4
blastfact

I just bought a my LE6920MPB this Sunday cause I got a very good deal on it. The same wal-mart had a Sig 400 in magpul furniture for a bit cheaper. But I bought the Colt. And the only reason I bought the Colt was the price and milspec.

They had wins, rock rivers, diamond backs and others for cheaper. I honestly thought I would get a Smith. And if they had a Smith and it was at the Colts price point. I would have bought the Smith. After not owning a AR for 20 years and no interest in building one. The Colt fit the bill.

When I was shooting mine this past sunday a fellow shooter had a Sig M400 black but with a 20" barrel. He said he has owned it for two years and liked it. And it was a good looking rifle. But he made it clear. It weren't a Colt. The Colt looked like a over priced and hyped .22 pos compared to his M1A1 shooting a real mans round.
Old 01-28-2014, 19:09   #5
dkf

I would go with the Spikes. It is a quality midlength rifle which can be had from places like Primary Arms for $850. I am happy with my Spikes stuff and the fit/finish and quality of parts are very good.
Old 01-28-2014, 19:43   #6
Redstate

I went with a combination of a Spikes complete lower and a Colt 6920 complete upper. Good combination.
Old 01-28-2014, 20:56   #7
K. Foster

You’ll never go wrong with a Colt. Spike’s is not a bad choice. Have no experience with the SIG.
Old 01-28-2014, 21:03   #8
sabrownfl

Thanks all who have responded. I've thought about a lower build and a complete upper. I'm relatively mechanically inclined and feel I could do it, but in purchasing a complete rifle, I have recourse if something doesn't work, and that I like. I guess I just wonder if I'm paying for a name with Sig or Colt. Not that the reputations aren't earned, but I'm a "bang for the buck" guy, and if the Spike's rifle will do what I need/want it to do, reliably, for $300 less than the others, I can spend $300 on ammo and practice. So far nobody has steered me AWAY from the Spike's so I'm leaning heavily in that direction. Seen them for as low as $799, a bit more with Magpul furniture which I like.
Old 01-28-2014, 21:38   #9
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Of the 3, I would go Spikes midlength.... for you. Personally, I can't get past the hideous logo, but the Spikes parts I have used in the past were GTG. Also, the midlength gas system is an evolution of the M-15/AR-15 weapons system that the carbine gas system serves no benefit on a 16" barrel.
Old 01-28-2014, 22:08   #10
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

For some of the reasons you outlined I wouldn't buy any of them. In this day and age its too easy to buy the exact upper with the features and specs you want and mate it to a home built lower which again has the furniture and components your desire.

It makes no sense to go buy a complete gun and then part it out with new handguards or a rail, perhaps a coated BCG or a enhanced bolt like LMT, a tuned trigger like a Giessele etc etc etc. By the time you pay for all the aftermarket stuff and stick it on your already complete rifle you end up buying a lot more stuff and the stupid gun ends up costing you way more that way.

Try to get a vision of what you want the rifle to look like when you are done and build it that way yourself using a complete upper etc.

In carbine length barrels (meaning 16")I think the mid-length gas system has a lot going for it and no negatives. So for me at least that knocks out the Colt and the Sig.

In any case--nothing wrong with any of those brands you mentioned except its a complete rifle...

YMMV

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Old 01-28-2014, 22:54   #11
GroovedG19
Laguna Blue AP2

Out of those three I would pick whichever is most affordable. And accessorize as desired.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
In the United States, suppressors are viewed as sinister and as assassination tools.But in France, for example, suppressors are sold openly in stores without restriction or registration.In fact in France and Switzerland, you can be fined by law enforcement for discharging a firearm without a sound suppressor in certain locations. - Police Magazine August 2008
Old 01-29-2014, 06:10   #12
sabrownfl

Big Bird and GroovedG19- You've both hit on good points.

BB- I'm no match shooter, so the stock trigger and BCG will likely be fine on any of these three- and both the Colt and the Sig Enhanced have the "look" I'm after (although that changes with the wind).

G19- The most affordable, at first look, is the Spike's, and If I buy the complete Spike's upper and build the lower, it is even more so... but generally when I see the upper it does not have Magpul furniture, so I'd have to spend additional on that.

I'm leaning heavily to Spike's, either build or buy complete, as money is always a consideration, and I can get the rifle and then enhance as I LEARN what I want by shooting it.

Thanks all! This is helping in my decision.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11   #13
sabrownfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
Of the 3, I would go Spikes midlength.... for you. Personally, I can't get past the hideous logo, but the Spikes parts I have used in the past were GTG. Also, the midlength gas system is an evolution of the M-15/AR-15 weapons system that the carbine gas system serves no benefit on a 16" barrel.
I don't like the logo when it is "color filled" but in standard format I have no problem with it. I like the mid-length from all I've read and heard though...
Old 01-29-2014, 16:17   #14
PNine64

I built up a spikes lower (85 out the door) with a LPK from Weapon Outfitter (http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-1...y-lpk-kit.html) so I could get the exact parts I wanted. From there I put on the upper I'd been wanting. It was amazingly easy.

If you are looking for a midlength upper with magpul there is one here. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...up&groupid=750

There is a spikes version expected back in soon too (probably what I'd do for a matched set). http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...er&groupid=750

Last edited by PNine64; 01-29-2014 at 16:22..
Old 01-29-2014, 17:57   #15
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrownfl View Post
Thanks all who have responded. I've thought about a lower build and a complete upper. I'm relatively mechanically inclined and feel I could do it, but in purchasing a complete rifle, I have recourse if something doesn't work, and that I like. I guess I just wonder if I'm paying for a name with Sig or Colt. Not that the reputations aren't earned, but I'm a "bang for the buck" guy, and if the Spike's rifle will do what I need/want it to do, reliably, for $300 less than the others, I can spend $300 on ammo and practice. So far nobody has steered me AWAY from the Spike's so I'm leaning heavily in that direction. Seen them for as low as $799, a bit more with Magpul furniture which I like.
Just go buy something. It's not like your buying a home. It's just a AR.

I was honestly not in the market last weekend when I bought my Colt. Basically it was there. I was there and the price was right and I called the right people and got another $100.00 off. I could have bought cheaper and more expensive rifles. And the Colt isn't perfect. The MOE stock rattles around. And the trigger honestly sucks. But I can fix both of those issues and not spend a dime.

This is a couple I met at the range three weeks ago or so.

Black Rifle Forum

Whats the coolest thing in this pic? Her ultra custom top dollar AR? Her range bag? How he holds his rifle or wears his hearing protection? None of that! She was the coolest in that picture. She knew exactly how to run that AR. It was her first range trip with her new AR. She knew without fault exactly what she was doing. It was not her first range trip. He loaded her mags. She shot her 100 yard groups and glassed them out herself. Made her adjustments and brought the rifle in. When she was done you could cover a 5 shot group with a penny using green tip ammo shooting off the front grip bipod.

Would I want her machine? Hell no. My first range trip with my Colt I was running and gunning and scratched and scuffed it up. It looked new for at 1 hour after purchase.

Just get something and start shooting!

Last edited by blastfact; 01-29-2014 at 17:58..
Old 01-29-2014, 18:02   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would say

Colt

Spikes

Sig

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 01-29-2014, 18:04   #17
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
When she was done you could cover a 5 shot group with a penny using green tip ammo
uh-huh

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 01-29-2014, 20:39   #18
sabrownfl

Thanks all. Much food for thought here. Got a PM as well with another interesting option that I had not considered.

blastfact- I was actually planning to take your advice and "just get something" and then I finished my first run at my taxes tonight. My how quickly plans can change... 2013 was a tough year (two job losses for my wife) but we rebounded well, and now it looks like due to the severance package she got from her long-term employer with the first job loss we owe over $2k to the IRS. Unless my tax guy can work wonders with the numbers it will be a while longer before I make a purchase. I'm bummed right now.
Old 01-29-2014, 21:24   #19
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrownfl View Post
Thanks all. Much food for thought here. Got a PM as well with another interesting option that I had not considered.

blastfact- I was actually planning to take your advice and "just get something" and then I finished my first run at my taxes tonight. My how quickly plans can change... 2013 was a tough year (two job losses for my wife) but we rebounded well, and now it looks like due to the severance package she got from her long-term employer with the first job loss we owe over $2k to the IRS. Unless my tax guy can work wonders with the numbers it will be a while longer before I make a purchase. I'm bummed right now.
I feel for your tax issue. My wife lost a job of 14 years. They did give her a severance package. Wanted to pay her 4 months upfront keep her insurance in tact and keep adding money to her retirement. Problem was they weren't going to pay tax. She had to get ugly with them at that point. They saw the error in there way. And just paid her like normal for 4 months so we didn't get hurt over that. And she did find a job. Just less pay and no free insurance. We are recovering as you will.

I bet a new AR will find you in no time. I talk to people every week that went out and bought AR's during the run up. Paid twice what they are worth. And they are trying to sell them without getting soaked now. Many have never been fired. Most will take a beating on them before it's over. With retail prices now dropping at a good pace. I bet in 6 months my Colt purchase price will seem high.

I bet you have a AR pretty darn quick.
Old 01-29-2014, 21:35   #20
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
uh-huh
That is what I thought.

Covering a 5 shot group with a penny, which is about .7", means after you subtract the radiuses of the two farthest-away shots (.224) ... that leaves you with about a .475" group. I doubt this lady was shooting sub .5" moa on her first range visit with a new AR, with non-match ammo known for mediocre accuracy, and in the winter to boot.

But if you insist it's true, I just snagged a 100 lb muskie the other day out of an indoor coy pond.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 01-29-2014 at 21:36..
Old 01-30-2014, 06:44   #21
ARP

Great read so far

I bought a Sig 522 last year with the GRAND PLAN of using the .22lr as the practice rifle and buying a Sig 556 classic as the real deal. I looked and held the S&W 15-22 and when I compared it to the Sig 522, well I loved the Sig and not the S&W. My thoughts were shoot .22lr and save money and then transition to the .223 round. So now I'm in the market for the Sig and they seem to be a bit rare and rare = expensive, like $1400 entry price expensive. I could get 1.5 ARs for that price. Now I'm re thinking my strategy and may go the AR route. I guess I either do that or grow some more patience.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:56   #22
wct097

Of the three, I'd go with the Spikes. Not because I'm a fan of Spikes over Colt or Sig, but because I don't like carbine handguards. Honestly, I'm brand agnostic. As long as it runs, I'd rather have the midlength handguard.

One of my next two AR builds will be the BCM "kino" upper. 12.5" barrel with a low-pro gas block under the handguard with a standard gas block and front sight mounted further up the barrel so I can run a Magpul mid-length handguard on it.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:47   #23
SilverCity

Some folks don't consider "resale" when making a first-time AR purchase. Everyone knows Colt. Not so much Spikes or Sig.

And I wouldn't recommend a "newbie" build any part of their first AR.

SC

Last edited by SilverCity; 01-31-2014 at 09:48..
Old 01-31-2014, 09:51   #24
eb07
Sharkin'

Colt. You get what you pay for. If you shoot it a lot, like to do carbine courses or competition.

If it is gonna get shot 10 times a year or less and sit in the safe, get whatever.

Last edited by eb07; 01-31-2014 at 09:51..
Old 01-31-2014, 19:41   #25
sabrownfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
Some folks don't consider "resale" when making a first-time AR purchase. Everyone knows Colt. Not so much Spikes or Sig.

And I wouldn't recommend a "newbie" build any part of their first AR.

SC
I'm not considering resale value, stated that in my original post. What I buy, I will keep, pass on to one of my boys, or expect to lose money on when I sell. I'm not talking about a home here... If I get my use out of it, I've gotten my value out of it. Not dogging on the colt, but if resale value is the ONLY thing that makes it better than the others... I'll buy what is cheaper and spend the difference on ammo. Aside from name and resale value, I've not heard a specific reason NOT to buy the Spike's or Sig, which is why I posed my original question. It sounds like any of the three would meet my needs, so I'll buy what I can find in stock, at a good price, and be happy.

Last edited by sabrownfl; 01-31-2014 at 19:42..
Closed Thread