Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:13   #1
ArodJohns

A potential recruit has a few questions.....UPDATED

Hi guys, I'm a potential recruit (pending approval from BeauMed) and I've got a couple questions that my recruiter seemed a little vague while answering.

If these are things I'll need to find out for myself, by all means say so. However, if you feel like answering, then by all means type to your heart's content.

1. While I realize that each base is going to be different, generally what would a young Marine find around the base? I mean this as sort of an entertainment, "keep me busy (read keep me out of trouble lol) while I'm not at 'work'".

2. What kinds of things might or might not be available on post to do? Again, I realize that this is subjective based on location.

3. While I'm personally looking at 03, 21, 27 and 58 MOS series, which MOS series did you select? If you were to enlist again, would you pick that same one?

The following couple questions are just ones I'm curious about. I don't intend to put my foot in anything nor start a pisser.

4. If you could choose again, which one would you pick; East Coast, West Coast or Overseas and why?

5. What is your favorite part of being a Marine? Knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again?

If you don't feel comfortable making a public post, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by ArodJohns; 05-01-2008 at 15:41..
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:11   #2
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

1. Yes, there is lots of entertainment on base, but just outside the gates, there's always a ton of strip clubs. Seriously, your fellow Marines will help you find all the fun, don't worry about it.
2. It is subjective to your location, however there is plenty to do
3.I selected 0844 Field Artillery Fire Direction Control, it was pretty intensive learning the manual methods of artillery, however very useful when making lateral moves into Survey and Forward Observer roles. I loved it, every minute of it and would do it again. Then again, I love to blow things up in a big way.
4.Overseas, because of the experience
5.Favorite part, well that would probably be the brotherhood that is like no other, it is eternal.

Good luck to you, if you choose to earn the Eagle Globe and Anchor, you will be making a decision that will change your life forever.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:02   #3
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Green covered some of this but I’ll run my sewer too. First, these are some really good questions and smart ones to ask.

As for entertainment it’s all about what you like to do. We have archery, complete auto body and auto shops for use, wood shop, swimming pools, any intramural sport you can imagine, camping and REC check out, horses, golf, trap shooting, libraries, movie theaters, SCUBA and boating just to name some off the top of my head. All of these are available to you and your family to use. You also have E-clubs, movie theaters, and all sorts of youth activities for the kids. There are many alternatives to the strip clubs and drinking holes just off base but make sure you visit those also, nothing wrong with that.

My primary MOS was 0311. I’d do that again. I loved being a Grunt and it led to some great category B MOS.

I was both East and West Coast during my 20+ years in but the vast majority was East. I liked the East Coast because even with the pay differentials it was still easier to raise a family dollar wise at Lejeune. I was in the FMF so I got to hit 27 countries floating out of Lejeune so overseas travel was never a problem.

My favorite part of being a Marine was being in the Fleet. I loved the travel, culture, making history, and the camaraderie. It was a good career and the Marines gave me exactly what I earned. It wasn’t all roses but I’d do it again.
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:06   #4
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

So, 8541, you are familiar with the T-Bird and the Driftwood? Two places of regularity...you know the drill.

Semper Fi
Old 04-27-2008, 18:34   #5
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Ahh, the Soggy Log. Can't forget the Boat Crash.
Old 04-27-2008, 19:42   #6
USMC Ryfleman
Scary Guy

Ahhh the Dirtwood lounge. I remember Silver and Gold being outside the back gate, heard it was a restaurant now. Either way J-ville = Tattoo parlors, pawn shops and titty bars! Dont forget Court street!
Old 04-27-2008, 20:11   #7
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
So, 8541, you are familiar with the T-Bird and the Driftwood? Two places of regularity...you know the drill.

Semper Fi

Sure. The second front is all part of being a Marine.
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:23   #8
02LimitedX

1. While I realize that each base is going to be different, generally what would a young Marine find around the base? I mean this as sort of an entertainment, "keep me busy (read keep me out of trouble lol) while I'm not at 'work'".

this has been covered pretty well so far...

2. What kinds of things might or might not be available on post to do? Again, I realize that this is subjective based on location.

bowling, rec center, sports, beach.... all kinds of things to do

3. While I'm personally looking at 03, 21, 27 and 58 MOS series, which MOS series did you select? If you were to enlist again, would you pick that same one?

0311!!!

4. If you could choose again, which one would you pick; East Coast, West Coast or Overseas and why?

I live on the east coast so its closer to home for me...

5. What is your favorite part of being a Marine? Knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again?

I enjoy the brotherhood, meet ppl from alll over the USofA. I would do it over again, just a little younger!
02LimitedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:55   #9
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Outside the main gate of most any base are several establishments designed to seperate the Marine from his/her money...Strip clubs, tattoo parlors, pawn shops, and used car lots. While they can be entertaining, they can also be hazardous if you don't use discretion. There are many activities to do on base through the MWR, and off base as well.

As far as MOS, I was an 0331, and as such, I humped an M60...everywhere. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Since I was at LeJeune/Geiger with 1/8, I am partial to the East Coast. If you go into the combat arms fields, you will get plenty of overseas travel.

As far as my favorite part? The brotherhood, being one of The Largest Elite Fighting Force. I wouldn't trade my experiences of being an Active Duty Marine for anything in the world.
Old 04-28-2008, 14:43   #10
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntmedik View Post
Outside the main gate of most any base are several establishments designed to seperate the Marine from his/her money...Strip clubs, tattoo parlors, pawn shops, and used car lots. While they can be entertaining, they can also be hazardous if you don't use discretion. There are many activities to do on base through the MWR, and off base as well.

As far as MOS, I was an 0331, and as such, I humped an M60...everywhere. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Since I was at LeJeune/Geiger with 1/8, I am partial to the East Coast. If you go into the combat arms fields, you will get plenty of overseas travel.

As far as my favorite part? The brotherhood, being one of The Largest Elite Fighting Force. I wouldn't trade my experiences of being an Active Duty Marine for anything in the world.
Oh man, when we came back from the first Gulf War in 91 we had to stay in those nasty Geiger Barracks, the white cinder block ones with the concrete floors, I guess they would be called squad bays. You walked across the street to head and showers and if you kicked the walls, the cockroaches would fall down by the hundreds.

We made up little Cockroach Hunting Licenses and went out with Lighter fluid and Butane each night, make a ring of fire and bring the fire to them. In the squad bay you could shine a light down the sidewall at the floor and see all the antennae sticking out, we'd pump the butane in there and flash bang em, toast in one shot. then we'd put them up on top of the water cooler in the middle of the night, spell out words on the floor, you know, good humor stuff. When we left Geiger it was 113 degrees with 90% humidity, total Black Flag days, don't miss that place at all.

What the heck were those little bugs in the swamps whose butts glowed neon green at night? Trippy when we were in fighting positions out there, doing dog and pony shows and the ground was glowing with those bugs.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16   #11
ArodJohns

First off, thanks for all of the replies and advice. It can only help at this point in time.

Second, I've got a few more questions. (Yep, I've been studying. I found a copy of "knowledge". I figure the more I can learn now while there's just a little pressure to learn it instead of HAVING to learn entire chapters over night.)

I've pretty well settled on a 58 series MOS. I realize that I cannot pick the specific job, but does anyone have a ballpark for how many folks go 58 would go 5811? I'm not asking for a specific number, just a type of "Well in my experience, it seems like 25% actually get 5811 while the rest get 5831."

Next question, if I should get placed in an 03 MOS what would I do day in and day out once I got to a duty station?

Third one, how stringent is the tattoo policy? If I'm in for a year and go get "USMC" tattoo'ed on my forearm just below my elbow, am I going to get booted for it?

Last one, can anyone "walk onto" one of the intramural teams? I ask because I've got an almost unhealthy obsession with rugby and it would be the cat's ass to be able to play every day instead of going and watching the games on the weekend.

Every day is exactly the same

Last edited by ArodJohns; 04-30-2008 at 10:18..
Old 05-01-2008, 15:50   #12
ArodJohns

UPDATE: The recruiter just left and per another member's request, here's an update.

So far, I've lost 33 pounds but have about 10 more to go before I can ship. (I want a beer and a Big Mac so bad it's not funny anymore. Maybe on that 10 day leave I'll have several of both )

Unfortunately, there's not too awful many 58 series MOS's available and there probably won't be until around October. I don't really want to wait that long, so we spoke about a couple others. One of the ones we spoke quite extensively about was 27 series (linguistics). I actually think this would be a better fit than MP, due to the fact that I've already got a small amount of German. (I'm not saying it's pretty, but I could probably get from Point A to Point B with only a small number of people thinking I'm stupid). This would require a 6 year enlistment.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to serving my country as a Marine, learning a couple languages and playing some rugby.

Has anyone been to Fort Ord, or know anything about Monterrey, California?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:57   #13
uashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArodJohns View Post
Has anyone been to Fort Ord, or know anything about Monterrey, California?
Never been to Ft. Ord, but I've spent a lot of time in Monterey. It's really nice, that coast is amazing. On the other hand, it's a lot colder than SoCal and it's a much smaller town than SD without much of the nightlife, women, and other fun stuff that you'd get down south.

Just my .02
uashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:06   #14
SASSGlock2

I don't know how recruiters are now, but 25 years ago, they were known for not being completely truthful or accurate all the time. If you really want MP, I would be that if you told him that that was all you wanted and were considering Army because they could garuntee MP, he would find you a slot. But, be sure any promises are in your contract. No "That's just there as a placeholder, you can get it changed after you graduate boot camp."

Like GreenDrake, I was o841. However, I spent my entire 6 years on the gun line playing cannon cocker. (Green Drake, my cousin is a former Marine and lives in North Idaho. Beautiful country up there. Last time I was around I shot a SASS match in Spirit Lake)

I have fond but fuzzy memories of the Driftwood!

DO NOT GET A TATTOO BELOW YOUR ELBOW!!! I'm not sure what current regs are, but when you get out, it will limit you somewhat. Get all the tats you want that will be covered by a short sleeve shirt and shorts.

Good luck to you.

Semper Fi.
SASSGlock2 is offline   Reply With Quote