GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:57   #1
G21novice

BMW GS650.....anyone have one, or opinions on one?

Hey guys, I sold my last bike around 3 years ago, and really hadn't thought about getting back into it. However, the possibility of a slightly longer commute, combined with a want for a little two wheeled fun have peaked my curiosity again.

My last bike was a 2003 CBR 600F4i, that I loved from day one, but couldn't ride responsibly, and I don't need fines or any of that. What I am looking for this time is reliability, fuel economy, relatively low MSRP, and if possible, enduro type. I talked to some people who had GS650's that they loved, and I liked the look of them.

Does anyone have any experience on the GS650, or any personal opinions about them. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
G21novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:33   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The actual models are F650GS and F650GS Dakar. The difference between the GS and the Dakar is that the Dakar has a lot higher suspension for more suspension travel.

As a BMW lover, I don't care much for it. Lots of money for a rather non-distinctive, mediocre performance vehicle. Not much offroad capability and not much onroad capability.

UNLESS YOU'RE A WORLD TRAVELER, skip the bike. Its sole saving grace is the utter reliability and durability of the Rotax thumper engine. Rotax has so many engines running around in the world that somehow you can always seem to salvage a part to keep the bike running, if it were to break down at all.

If you were to want a street legal dualsport with cargo carrying capability, look at the Kawasaki KLR650 and the Honda equivalence.

Or if you were to want a runabout with VERY MILD offroad capability (gravel trail at max) then check out the Suzuki V-Strom DL650.

You DID say that you wanted low MSRP. Otherwise, I'd recommend the KTMs and the better BMWs (X-Challenge G650).
Old 10-27-2007, 15:19   #3
norton

call me a luddite

I don't care for any of the BMW motorcycles since the air cooled twin went by the wayside-
don't like any the 3 or 4 cylinder BMW bikes at all.
the air cooled boxer twin was so right. it ran and ran, was smooth, a great riding bike. not a ricky racer, or an off road flyer, it just was a very, very good road bike.

BTW, I do know that BMW twins were raced as superbikes at one time, before they were snowed under by more powerful but evil handling Japanese super bikes back in the day.
Old 11-08-2007, 19:38   #4
Laszlo

The new F800 GS is comming soon in place of the F650GS. You might want to wait for this.

Moto Club

Glock. The logical choice.

Last edited by Laszlo; 11-08-2007 at 20:09..
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55   #5
edcrosbys

I vote for the Vstrom 650! It can handle LIGHT off road, gets about 50mpg, can easily do highway speeds w/o issues, can tour with minor mods and you can pick one up new for about $6,500!!

I've put about 12k on mine in the last 13 months without any problems. The longest I've ridden in a day is about 780 miles, so it's comfy for me.

The issues you'll hear are windshield and seats. You can fix both of these with the best solutions for about $600. I would then add a skid plate and some bags.

Last year I was deciding between the F650, KLR650, Ulysses Tiger and the Vstrom 650. For what I want, the suzuki won! Good Luck to you.
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote