SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2007, 21:42   #1
Villainous1

West Michigan training courses?

Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a training course I could take to help with my trigger control, grip and aim.

I was shooting just fine for a while then suddenly I've been bitten by the "low left" bug and I cannot fix it. I've tried changing everything and it feels like I'm pulling the trigger properly, but obviously I just need someone more qualified than myself to help me fix this.

Anyone have any suggestions? Who are the quality instructors in the West Michigan area? What do the classes cost?

Thanks for all your help.
Villainous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 21:42   #2
Villainous1

Oh yeah, I'm shooting a Glock 19.
Old 10-24-2007, 19:41   #3
gsbell
Consumed

Read this which is a compilation of an old GT thread: http://glockfaq.com/trigger.htm

After that take your unloaded gun into a room with no ammunition present, place a target on the wall and practice your trigger technique until you can break your shots without the sights dipping. This won't cost a penny and will be highly effective.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37   #4
Trebor

I reccomend a lot of dry-fire practice. The Glock trigger does take some getting used to and you need to relearn some basic trigger control using that trigger.

Start really close to the wall, like about 8" away, and just focus on the front sight while you pull the trigger straight back. After you get better, balance an empty case or a coin on the gun and pull the trigger without knocking it off the gun. Practice the smooth, straight back trigger pull, and make sure the only part of your trigger finger that is touching the gun is the part that is touching the trigger.

Make sure you follow all the safety precautions for dry fire practice including double checking that the gun is unloaded, having a safe backstop, not having any ammo in the room, not dry-firing in the room where you store the loaded gun (if you keep it loaded) and not reloading in the same room where you dry fired.

Try dry firing a little bit every day. When you go to the range next, do a few dry fire reps first and then load up and do some live fire. After after mag do a couple more dry fire reps before you reload and shoot again. Only load 6 to 8 rounds in your mag so you can focus more on each shot. Shoot a mag, do a couple reps of dry fire, then shoot another mag.

Try this for awhile and see if it helps. If it doesn't, I do classes in the Lansing area and we could arrange to meet sometime if your interested. My prices for personal instruction are pretty reasonable and depend on the specifics of the time we spend together and what exactly it is we are working on.
CCW classes and private instruction in the Metro Detroit and Lansing areas
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:35   #5
Villainous1

Thanks for your tips Greg, Trebor. I will definitely try those techniques. If no improvement I will get ahold of you Trebor.

Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11   #6
gsbell
Consumed

Another source is Silver Bullet, Tom or Mike should be able to get you on track in no time.

Do not waste a lot of time or ammo trying to solve it yourself, if you don't see progress after a couple of weeks of dry fire then by all means get some coaching. If you aren't getting on track then you risk learning bad habits which are harder to get rid of.
Old 10-26-2007, 19:08   #7
Michigantrainer

I can help you i teach and shoot often at centerline gun club near battle creek,.
Old 10-26-2007, 21:11   #8
fiddler

I highly recommend Michigan Trainer. He is an excellent trainer and diagnostician. He will help you to correct your problem and much more.
Livingston Gun Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 22:44   #9
Trebor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
I highly recommend Michigan Trainer. He is an excellent trainer and diagnostician. He will help you to correct your problem and much more.

I agree. Steve is going to be closer to you as well. He's the guy I go to when I need to work on something. He won't steer you wrong.

I gotta get used to him being over in the West side of the state.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:07   #10
Glock 19 God
Banned

I dont understand how people do the penny thing on the sight. My carry gun is a Gen 3 Glock 19 and I cant even get the penny to stay on the sight sitting it flat on a table. The sight does not have a flat surface....
Glock 19 God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:17   #11
Trebor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 19 God View Post
I dont understand how people do the penny thing on the sight. My carry gun is a Gen 3 Glock 19 and I cant even get the penny to stay on the sight sitting it flat on a table. The sight does not have a flat surface....

The "coin on the front sight" trick doesn't work with all guns and all front sights. I usually use a dime, myself, but it doesn't always work

You can also try an empty shell casing balanced at the end of the slide right behind the front sight. A flat coin in that location would be too easy. The taller casing is easier to make fall off with a poor trigger pull during dry fire.
Old 10-27-2007, 13:18   #12
Michigantrainer

Rob, the west side is just one of the ranges i train at.... i still do a lot on this side of town.

Thanks for the kinds words fiddler and Rob.