SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:38   #1
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Gggrrrr!!! Cleaning the Oven SUCKS!!!

Last night I finally took it upon myself to clean the oven. Of course, I'd already sprayed the sucker down with Easy Off the night before and let it sit for 24 hours. Is there not any other (or easier) way to clean it? I've not found self-clean to be all that and while I usually don't make too many messes to begin with, here lately I've been making pies with a butter base. Any small spill causes the oven to smoke and I couldn't stand it any more.
Old 11-07-2007, 00:14   #2
Cousin
Gambel's Quail

SouthernGal, you probably already know this but this is all I could come up with.

It sounds as if your self-cleaning feature may not be bringing the temperature up to where it's hot enough to actually white-ash the caked on residue. It's imperative to remove the oven racks before starting the self-clean feature as the heavier steel racks act like a heat sink and draw the heat away from the thinner oven walls. The temperature within should be between 500 and 600 degrees during the self-clean cycle.
Old 11-08-2007, 13:11   #3
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Is that bad for your elements?

"This thread didn't take long to go full retard." -Nevermore1701
rhikdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 14:02   #4
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhikdavis View Post
Is that bad for your elements?
You know, I actually wondered about whether or not Easy Off would be bad for the element. There's almost NO way to spray the stuff in there without getting it on the element as well.

I ended up doing two passes getting all the stuff out with an old sponge, then allowing that to dry and then coming back with a wet dishrag to wipe it off again.

Cousin, I actually questioned when I first moved into this house whether or not the oven was heating correctly. I had several batches of pastries that came out all wrong and I have no idea why. My home was the former "model" home and I know the stove was in there during the time it was used as a model. It also seems to take forever for it to heat up when I preheat it.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:21   #5
Glockgirl26

When I first moved into that townhouse I had for a few years, the oven was pretty nasty, and it was old enough that it didn't have a self cleaning feature. It took a couple of passes with the EZ off and lots of elbow grease to clean it up. I wore a scratch pad clear through and blackened a couple of rags so bad they had to be thrown out, but I got it done.

About six months ago I boiled over an apple cobbler in my new oven that smoked up the house good enough to set off the detectors. The cobbler turned out fine and it didn't make a big enough mess to bother with the self cleaning cycle, I just used an old butter knife and a scratch pad to clean up the black spots.
Glockgirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32   #6
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

Hmm, I have left my pizza stone in my oven and it still ashes everything. I guess it is stove dependent.

Do NOT leave your oven thermometer in there though, it bleached out the writing so now I can't see what the temp is :P
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote