SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:55   #1
Eagle1
Oh glockaholic!

FTF gun sales question in Ohio?

Has Ohio implemented any new gun laws regarding doing a face to face gun sale lately. I was told that it was legal, but I want to find out before I do it. Thanks ....

In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:06   #2
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
Has Ohio implemented any new gun laws regarding doing a face to face gun sale lately. I was told that it was legal, but I want to find out before I do it. Thanks ....
AFAIK, you should be ok. I've done this a couple times, and there's never any issues. However, you'd want to be smart about it. Make sure you're armed with a gun other than the one you intend to sell, make sure you tell someone what time you're leaving, where you're meeting, who you're meeting, what time you're supposed to meet them and also what time you plan to return. It'd also be smart to set it up where someone calls you during the transaction with a code. Something like "Hey, what's for dinner tonight?" And then of course you answer in a manner that reflects that you're ok, or in a manner reflecting that the other person is a zombie and trying to eat your brains (lol). Lastly, getting a copy of the buyer's driver's license or CCW would not be a bad idea.

Every day is exactly the same
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:26   #3
DistantTea
Monkey Vendor

Only deal with reputable people who others have dealt with before and recommend. If you are going to meet someone with no known reputation just go meet at a welcome gunstore. There are plenty of gunstores of all sizes who are more than happy to have to have to potential accessories customers come in and trade guns. Call ahead before you do just in case your gunshop doesn't like that (large chains won't go for that).

Its all perfectly legal though. Just use safe judgement.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07   #4
Eagle1
Oh glockaholic!

thanks guys, met the guy and all went well. TNT is good to go in my book too.

In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41   #5
MeanStreaker

There are no new laws in Ohio regarding FTF sales. For handguns, you need to make sure that the seller is a resident of Ohio and you need to believe that he/she is not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:27   #6
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
There are no new laws in Ohio regarding FTF sales. For handguns, you need to make sure that the seller is a resident of Ohio and you need to believe that he/she is not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm.
In the event the buyer turns out not to have been a resident of Ohio, who's liable? I hope it's not me. Say a guy moved out of state a year ago, but still has his Ohio driver's license to show me, how the heck am I supposed to know it's wrong?

I hope the law doesn't require me to verify the person's state of residence, because I have no way to do that that would be worth making myself liable over.
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 15:09   #7
PennaOhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
I hope the law doesn't require me to verify the person's state of residence, because I have no way to do that that would be worth making myself liable over.
It does. It is called a driver's license, if they don't have an Ohio DL/ID or Ohio CHL, don't buy/sell with them. If they even have one I say you're in the clear.

If someone won't even show you their license/ID/CHL, are they someone you really want to do weapons business with?
PennaOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 16:51   #8
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennaOhio View Post
It does. It is called a driver's license, if they don't have an Ohio DL/ID or Ohio CHL, don't buy/sell with them. If they even have one I say you're in the clear.

If someone won't even show you their license/ID/CHL, are they someone you really want to do weapons business with?
That's sensible, but as I said having an Ohio driver's license isn't a guarantee that they are a current Ohio resident. I don't want to get in trouble because someone hoodwinked me.
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 18:28   #9
MeanStreaker

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that if someone shows you a non-expired Ohio DL, that you will have met the legal requirement to do your best to ensure that they are a resident.

It's good to be cautious, but I wouldn't put worry yourself out of sleep at night. We know for a fact (through Dept of Justice studies) that 0.7% of guns used in crimes come from gun shows... so I'm sure that criminals aren't trying all that hard to buy from legal sources. Heck, legal sources expect retail prices. Criminals can hit up their local drug dealer for an illegal gun for much, much less than what a legal source would sell it for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:24   #10
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
In the event the buyer turns out not to have been a resident of Ohio, who's liable? I hope it's not me. Say a guy moved out of state a year ago, but still has his Ohio driver's license to show me, how the heck am I supposed to know it's wrong?
That's why you make sure to look at his license. I won't do a FTF with anyone unless i can see their Drivers License and Ohio CCH Card. That way i can make sure their a resident of ohio and the CCH let's me know their background is clean.
Old 11-27-2007, 14:02   #11
Brian Dover

When doing a FTF transaction I ask to see an Ohio driver's license and/or carry license, but always tell the buyer that all I need to see on it is the picture, (and age, if they don't obviously look over 21 years old), then we're good to go. They are free to put their thumb over address data.

I do the same thing when buying from an individual, they need to see picture and DOB not address.