Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2007, 17:57   #1
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

SC: Chief of SLED to resign (retire) next week.

Wonder who the replacement will be and I wonder if they'll be more ameniable to relaxing CWP restrictions.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:57   #2
Glockphobia
NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pontificator View Post
Wonder who the replacement will be and I wonder if they'll be more ameniable to relaxing CWP restrictions.
wow! stuart has been around forever, lets hope so.
Carolina Glocker #1922
You know you're in the south when :
Case(s) of beer is the legal tender for car repairs
Glockphobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:12   #3
Mnukedude
Lurking

How much authority does he have to do this? I thought all that was codified in state law. The only thing I knew of that they had control of was which states CWPs they would recognize and in the case of our background checks for a CWP, defining what constitutes a "favorable" result.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:24   #4
beemerphile
CLM Number 79
Charter Lifetime Member

I think he is the bozo that harrassed a group of BMW rmotorcycle riders with drug dogs, helicopters, SWAT get-ups, etc. like the Beemer guys were the Hell's Angels. I think the lowest life individual there was probably a bad dentist. We decided to never return. - Lee
G17, G19, G20, G21, G22, G23, G26, G27. Sub Club #19
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 19:31   #5
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I think he is the bozo that harrassed a group of BMW rmotorcycle riders with drug dogs, helicopters, SWAT get-ups, etc. like the Beemer guys were the Hell's Angels. I think the lowest life individual there was probably a bad dentist. We decided to never return. - Lee
More info, please?
Old 11-23-2007, 19:53   #6
beemerphile
CLM Number 79
Charter Lifetime Member

http://www.mrf.org/pdf/WhitePapers/V...BikeHaters.pdf

[excerpted from above link...]

In September 1994 the Greenville SC chapter of the American Red Cross wanted to raise some money for its beneficent work. A poker run was planned, featuring a tour of the newly opened BMW motor works plant where the ultra-Yuppie Z3 is made and culminating with a concert by the Marshall Tucker Band at a fair ground in Spartanburg.

So far, so good. But when riders arrived at the fairground, all hell broke loose. Supposedly acting on a tip from an unnamed informant that a biker gang war was going to erupt, the Spartanburg, South Carolina police, aided and abetted by members of the SC Law Enforcement Division and the National Guard, who overflew the scene in a helicopter, showed up and began a systematic shake-down and saddlebag search of everyone who rode up to the gate. The offciers said the searches were consensual. The truth was that if you didn’t consent, you were turned away. The cops had to say the searches were consensual, otherwise they’d have been butting heads with another Amendment to the Constitution, the Fourth. ... The American Civil Liberties Union, backed by the American Motorcyclist Association, filed a federal lawsuit against the cops in the aftermath, the chief of police resigned in disgrace.

I mis-remembered that the big a-hole of the event was the Spartanburg Chief, not the director of SLED. - Lee
G17, G19, G20, G21, G22, G23, G26, G27. Sub Club #19

Last edited by beemerphile; 11-23-2007 at 19:57..
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:19   #7
Magicmanmb

Since he or she will be an appointee by our dear governor Sanford. Lord only knows what we'll get. Let's see who he owes a favor to. With any luck it will be Sheriff Metz or someone with LE background. I heard a rumor that the former public safety director in North Myrtle Beach was interested since he was not elected to city council.
Magicmanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00   #8
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
http://www.mrf.org/pdf/WhitePapers/V...BikeHaters.pdf

[excerpted from above link...]

In September 1994 the Greenville SC chapter of the American Red Cross wanted to raise some money for its beneficent work. A poker run was planned, featuring a tour of the newly opened BMW motor works plant where the ultra-Yuppie Z3 is made and culminating with a concert by the Marshall Tucker Band at a fair ground in Spartanburg.

So far, so good. But when riders arrived at the fairground, all hell broke loose. Supposedly acting on a tip from an unnamed informant that a biker gang war was going to erupt, the Spartanburg, South Carolina police, aided and abetted by members of the SC Law Enforcement Division and the National Guard, who overflew the scene in a helicopter, showed up and began a systematic shake-down and saddlebag search of everyone who rode up to the gate. The offciers said the searches were consensual. The truth was that if you didn’t consent, you were turned away. The cops had to say the searches were consensual, otherwise they’d have been butting heads with another Amendment to the Constitution, the Fourth. ... The American Civil Liberties Union, backed by the American Motorcyclist Association, filed a federal lawsuit against the cops in the aftermath, the chief of police resigned in disgrace.

I mis-remembered that the big a-hole of the event was the Spartanburg Chief, not the director of SLED. - Lee
I've never heard of that incident. I had just moved here when that happened.