SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2002, 04:39   #1
MrMunster

Send a message via AIM to MrMunster
Any upland game hunters here?

Who likes to hunt "Upland" game like pheasants, quail, partridge, and grouse?

What gun(s) do you hunt with?

Dogs?

We are all dying; it is only a question of the rate.
MrMunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:44   #2
MrMunster

I'll start.

I love to hunt quail (and am always looking for new partners!!!!) with my second choice being pheasants. My favorite gun is my 20ga Browning Citori for all birds, but I have gone to a 16ga citori for late season pheasants.

I own two labs that aren't much more than house dogs, but they do bust the brush. By far, my favorite memories are of my uncle's brittany. She was my uncles 10 months out of the year, but belonged to my dad and I for the months of Nov & Dec....I think my uncle still holds a grudge about the fact that his dog always hunted with my dad instead of him...

Beyond that, I live for sunny days on a new fallen snow to hunt rabbits by myself alone in the woods with only my thoughts and my ruger 10/22.

Old 05-07-2002, 04:51   #3
GlockM23

Quote:
Beyond that, I live for sunny days on a new fallen snow to hunt rabbits by myself alone in the woods with only my thoughts and my ruger 10/22.

Ahh, thats the life. I'm jealous.
GlockM23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:12   #4
badbilly429

Send a message via AIM to badbilly429 Send a message via Yahoo to badbilly429

hunt woodcock and ruffed grouse on the property up in cadillac michigan with my dad, and my uncles property near where i hunt in cadillac has a pheasent ranch bordering his property line, so theres always plent of free pheasents to go shoot at over there. i either use my mossy 12 ga but most of the time the benelli nova.

Member NRA-Thank You Sidearmor
.40 S&W club Member # 429
Sub Club Member # 429
Hunting, Fishing, Camping #429
Blade Runners #429
Big Dawgs Club # 2069

-<Member of the PERFECT WORLD Charter>-
badbilly429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:36   #5
mpol777
Feral Member

last year was my first year of quail hunting and i'm hooked. when i lived in OH there weren't any after the blizzard of '77. definately a rush when you almost step on a covey and they flush. whay do you guys use for upland game? right now all i have is my rem 870 12ga, but i'm looking into and O/U 20ga for the upcoming season. that 12ga is just too heavy for a full day in the field.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:43   #6
MrMunster

Quote:
Originally posted by mpol777

right now all i have is my rem 870 12ga, but i'm looking into and O/U 20ga for the upcoming season. that 12ga is just too heavy for a full day in the field.
Not to mention too heavy, even with light loads, for those little quail...

Definitely recommend the 20ga. If you like the 870, buy another in 20ga. I started with a wingmaster and loved it. However, I have gone to the citori because I found that I never took more than 2 shots on a covey rise anyway. Why hump a gun around in the field loaded with 5 shells, 3 of which will never get used...

Old 05-07-2002, 06:55   #7
shrpshtr

Send a message via ICQ to shrpshtr Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr
i love hunting upland game birds, and waterfowl for that matter. around here, mid-SC, mainly doves and quail are the only upland game unless you go to a preserve. only bad thing about that is the birds aren't typically scared and you have to kick them to get the to take off. not a lot along the lines of waterfowl but i manage to hump it out to Arkansas for a week every year to enjoy duckhunting. that is another addiction entirely.

i have been using the same shotgun now for over 10 years. Remington 11-87 SP. i wish i had a clue how many shots i have put through that gun. i have been thinking about retiring it but i believe i would break out in tears if i did. i have shot just about everything you can legally hunt with that shotgun.

i have a lab i am sure all of you have heard me refer to on GT at one time or another. bird/duck hunting wouldn't be the same without him. he has become as much a part of the hunt as the game itself. it's funny, we have been going together long enough that i don't even have to tell him what to do anymore. it's like he can read my mind.....i don't know if that is a good thing or not.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

i am really gonna love this forum!

.40 S&W Club #24
Model 1911 Club #42
Carolina Glockers #24
HFC #24
NRA
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 06:58   #8
shrpshtr

by the way, for those avid upland game hunters who also like reading. check out all of Havilah Babcock's books. they are fantastic!!!

Havilah Babcock

.40 S&W Club #24
Model 1911 Club #42
Carolina Glockers #24
HFC #24
NRA
Old 05-07-2002, 09:11   #9
sooner pete
STOOPS FOR PRES

Hey shrpshtr,your choc. Lab looks just like my cocca Dakota dawn. cocca is a 120 lbs.female,with a deep dark choc. color.
sooner pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:14   #10
LEO2002

Black grouse is my favorite game. Hazel grouse is a near second. Just love baiting those hazel grouse with a whistle. Will also take rabbits, waterfowl and other game if I happen upom them.

I like my Rem 870 12ga for brush busting and my Swedish Mauser (perfectly legal around here - no flames please) for those long shots.

No dog. Would love to have one.
LEO2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:25   #11
shrpshtr

Quote:
Originally posted by sooner pete
Hey shrpshtr,your choc. Lab looks just like my cocca Dakota dawn. cocca is a 120 lbs.female,with a deep dark choc. color.
that's about what he weighs now...maybe just a hair more. he is getting fatter every year. i swear my wife is trying to fatten him up so he can't hunt with me anymore.

.40 S&W Club #24
Model 1911 Club #42
Carolina Glockers #24
HFC #24
NRA
Old 05-07-2002, 13:11   #12
Grumpy Gardener

Mountain Quail

I love to hunt Mtn. Quail up here. A good quiet stalk combined with an appropriate approach can bag you 3 in a shot. Our quail like to sit in the Mtn. Whitethorn with it's 3" thorns you need to walk real quite before you flush em to your shot. try to approach em so they fly into a flat so you can find em. That's the tough part.

The Grouse sit up high in the Ponderosas and need to be approached from at least a 1/4 mile at a slow stalk. I've yet to nail one in season but I've found em watching me. Matter of time now.

The Gardener.
Old 05-07-2002, 13:31   #13
Matthew Temkin

Grouse is my favorite bird. I don't need a dog and they sleep late. And on the rare times that I've actually bagged one they make a great meal. I use a Remington 1100 Special Field 20 Guage.
Matthew Temkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 13:51   #14
mzenzer
Argus-eyed

Re: Any upland game hunters here?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMunster
Who likes to hunt "Upland" game like pheasants, quail, partridge, and grouse?

What gun(s) do you hunt with?

Dogs?
Ah Quail hunting! Nothing like hunting quail with a single shot .410 to teach you how to shoot. I learned more about shooting from quail hunting (mostly patience verse wildy popping off a shot) than any other method.
mzenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 15:30   #15
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMunster
I'm jealous too. The rabbit hunting around Seattle is rough since the farmlands with great meadows have been pushed out a good hour plus out of the suburbs.

But it's a beautiful idea. I've taken my limit (3 a day) several times last season with my G19 with a .22lr AACK mounted on top. Just walked blackberry ridden ditches along logging roads and jumped the rabbits myself. All shots were within 10 yards or shorter. Many rabbits that hopped off for 10-30 feet and paused. bad for them, good for me!

But I'd like to learn more techniques and other good rabbit land. How do you spot them lying in the bushes? Can do that well yet.

Got a couple of my former college students who also have the urge for some cottontail!

How do you spook up your rabbits and with what? I have yet to really bust out my Marlin Papoose with the red dot scope!
Old 05-07-2002, 15:32   #16
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Ruffed grouse to walking along logging roads on timber land.

Rem 870 12 gauge on the ready! Hard to hunt. Only claimed a couple last grouse season.
Old 05-07-2002, 18:00   #17
podwich

Bird: partridge. Gun: Benelli Nova.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 01:03   #18
glockster96
Lifetime Membership

QUAIL!!! Lots of fun wiht the Ithaca O/U.

I'd like to go pheasant hunting more often, but there just aren't many in this area any more.
glockster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 04:54   #19
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

I hunt any game bird that flies in Michigan. I use a Beretta 390 & choke accordingly!

I have the pleasure of hunting behind a very good & well-trained GSP that belongs to a good friend of mine.

I take part with a few others in raising over 150 pheasants a year. We release all of them into the wild & get to “harvest” about 25% of those. We do a kind of private pheasant club if you would. It’s very nice to see a lot of birds on opening day.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:26   #20
Schnek

I like to hunt quail in Southwest Indiana. My dad still lives there and has a Brittany Spaniel right now. He has had English Setters at times also. Dad hunts with a 16 gauge Browning Auto 5. I hunt with a 12 gauge Remington Express Turkey model. Upland is my favorite type of hunting.