Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2002, 14:32   #1
J.P.
Intergalactic

The Flyfishing thread.

Well......Any takers?

I Flyfish for trout(bows and browns) on the Lower Illinois and the Lower Mountain Fork here in OK.
Also smallmouth bass,largemouth,crappie,and bluegill.
Been fishing almost all of my 30years and flyfishing for 2.
Tie my own flies,mostly.
I stick to a few workable patterns....BWO's,Sowbugs,Lt.Cahill,Wooly Buggers,Black gnats,and Hare's ear nymphs.
Gear includes:
Orvis Silver Label 906 (2) w/ Battenkill reel
Orvis Far and Fine 7'9" 5wt (2) with CFO3 reel
Orvis one ounce 6'6" 2wt (2) with CFO reel
Orvis Trident 906 (2) w/Battenkill Large arbor reel.
Planning on heading to the White (AR) this summer.
Might be going to Vail also.
Anyone else?
Really I fish more than any other hobby.
In fact,I hate to call it a hobby....It's a way of life.
J.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 17:00   #2
flyboy5432H
Pull.Mark.Bird.

i used to live in southwestern PA. fished the lakes, rivers and streams for anything that swam, but mainly largemouth and smallmouth bass, and some trout, and my favorite, oversized carp.

i now reside in eastern florida and play with the bigger boys, snook, redfish, trout, bluefish, tarpon....

i'm a commercial fly tier down here, ship all over the states and some other countries, if anyone needs flies, let me know.

fly equipment:
SA system 2 5/6 6wt. w/ Three forks 9ft 6wt.
STH cassette D.2 8wt. w/ G.Loomis 9ft 8wt. GL3
Reddington AL8/9 8wt. w/ G.Loomis 9ft 8wt. Adventure series
Reddington AL10/11 10wt. w/ G.Loomis 9ft 10wt. GL3

Work is for people who don't know how to fish...
flyboy5432H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 00:05   #3
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Been doing the Fly Fishing, and Fly Tying thing for over 30 Years. Lucky me I lived in Butte U.S.A. (Montana) for one year, and was within an hours drive of Dillion Montana, and some other wonderful Fly Fishing Spots in Montana (too many to list).

But I personally think some of the Best Fly Fishing For LARGE Trout in the U.S.A. (continental) can be had in Northern California, on the Pitt River, Fall River, Hat Creek, the Uppers Sacramento, McCloud River, and some of the other not so well know places.

Don’t tie flies any longer as my eyes is not cooperative, sold most of my Fly Rods & Reels. But still have two nice rods and reels.

Living in Southwestern Arizona fly fishing opportunities is limited, but there are some with in a few hours drive, but nothing like Montana, or Northern California.

When I was younger I always wanted to Fly Fish, New Zealand, Tasmania, or Alaska. But settled with many trips annually to the Blue Ribbon Trout Streams of Northern California that required more skill, and those exotic places like New Zealand, Tasmania, or Alaska were where you could got to experience of catching large trout.

But most who went to these exotic places freely admitted to me that catching large trout was relatively easy, as there were many hungry large trout, who were not that big a challenge to catch.

Think there are THREE STAGES OF THE FISHERMAN.

• Fisherman Wants to Catch all the fish

• Fisherman Wants to Catch the LARGEST fish

• Fisherman Wants to just go fishing ( this is where I am) :o :o
akapennypincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:14   #4
lunde

I don't do flyfishing, bu my father is a big-time flyfisherman, and has owned one of the best flyfishing shops in the Midwest for over 25 years, specifically in greater metropolitan Mount Horeb, Wisconsin (about 20 miles due west of Madison).

He also offers fly casting and fly tying classes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(NRA/GOA/CRPA/VHA/GSSF/FCSA Life Member, SAGA/TNUSA Member)
GT Club Numbers: Niner's #132 / .40 Auto #31 / Top Guns 357 Sig #4 / Big Dawg #254 / 10 Ring #65 / Bull Dawg #58 / Wheelhouse #2 / 1911 #31 / HK #54
Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, the
, and the
lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:00   #5
sailor

How about a little different take on fly fishing. I live in South Alabama and use my fly rod in the salt water. A friend has a house on Mobile Bay and has a light at the end of his pier that comes on every night. We have been going out and catching Speckled trout, white trout and croakers on a weekly basis for a while now. It is a lot of fun and we put all we catch back. A lot of folks around here use fly rods in the Gulf and catch some large fish. (Tarpon, blue fish, spanish mackeral, etc.) It is also fun to cruise all the pier lights at night during the summer.

Mike
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 12:40   #6
TheBigCA

My dad was a fly fisherman. I still have some of his flies. I'm mostly a bait caster/drifter type fisherman, but really want to seriously get into fly fishing, so I can follow the same theme my dad had re fishing. He used a Bow for Elk and Deer hunting because he felt it wasn't fair to the animal to use a gun (too easy for man); and he basically felt the same way as far as artificial lures, etc., and he was into the natural way, presenting natural-looking baits, or flies, but he did later regress and use lures for bass fishing when we moved 3,000 miles to New York. When I was a kid, we fished the Santiam Rivers in Oregon and I remember almost every single cast yielding a sweet trout with his automatic fly reel. God bless his soul. Man was killed in a mountain climbing accident 19 years ago. I'll always cherish his bow and the flies. Wish I still had the pole and reel.

I feel flyfishing is an art form, and it's great to see some experts in this new forum. I hope to learn a great deal from you. I'd like to get into tying my own flies. I need to buy a flyrod and reel. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

We have some excellent fly fishing rivers here in Oregon. And, I'm hoping to harvest an Elk this year with my Russian M44 with handloaded ammo.

Hope this new forum is a success.

Last edited by TheBigCA; 05-08-2002 at 12:45..
TheBigCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 16:55   #7
sharpshooter

How about another twist? I fly fish with an ultra-lite spinning rig with 4lb line, a clear casting bubble, and a 2lb leader. Works awesome! No need for open areas for casting, I can cast from a wooded shoreline easily. When they're not biting top, I cut line and tie on my spinners: Mepps #00 and other ultra-lite spinners. I get the best of both worlds...

Anybody else do what I do? You should try it! Once the line's in the water it's the same as "real" fly fishing. The bubble makes a little ripple, you wait a minute, then go at it.

Real fly fishing is fun too, but most of my fishing territory is made up of high back country small lakes and there's not much room for error when messing with fly line and branches and you'll spook everything if you try wading.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 00:00   #8
sailor

We sure had a good time last night (Friday) out on the pier catching speckled trout with our fly rods. The fishing started about 9pm and we fished for a couple of hours. Each of us caught 6-7 specks that weighed from 1-3 pounds. All of the fish were released. The water here (Mobile Bay) is not very clear, but we did see a couple of fish follow and attack our flys. We use the Clauser minnow in chartruese (sp?) and white. Night fishing in the summer is great.

Mike
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote