SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2007, 22:54   #1
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
King Airways

Does anyone here use King Airways in their department? I just saw them today and I was really impressed. We have been using the combi-tube here at an EMT-B level if you have the advanced airway endorsement from the state. What I have seen though is that with the Combi-tube it is semi-complicated in that you have two bulbs to fill with air, you have two places to ventilate from. And under stress I have seen people take a second look at what they were doing to make sure they did it right. Making sure they were putting the correct amount of air in the right place. Venting the pt. and trying to listen for breath sounds etc... in a noisy environment. The Kings that I saw today seemed to have a lot more advantages. You would still have to assess to make sure you were getting air where you needed to. But there was one place to put air in with a syringe. And there was only one place to vent the pt. with. There is a hole that you could suction with... something you cannot do with a combi-tube. And it appeared that it would be a snap to go from King Airway to ET tube when a higher level of care came along and felt that an ET tube would be better.
I am going to try and get approval from our medical director to use the Kings instead of the Combi-tube. I was just looking for some feedback from people who actually used them prior to me making that push in case there was some major drawback that I just wasn't seeing.

Here's a link to the airway we were looking at. King Airways LTS-D
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:52   #2
swatmed4

Check with Memphis fire dept. They have been using them for some time. The Medics I have talked with like them. I do not have there number but if you look it up on the net, call the training center.
swatmed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:32   #3
capt205

My Dept is now using them. We have only recently gone to this airway, so real world experience by me is limited, but so far, all positive comments by others in the field.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 14:40   #4
RN911EMTP
GlockMedic

We have been using the LTS-D in our department as a backup airway for the past several months. I have personally used it on an entrapped trauma victim with excellent results ( still not an ETT though). I have not heard of any difficulties in the field with the device as far as securing, ventilation ease, and etco2 monitoring. It is truly idiot proof, or fire fighter proof depending on your location...lol...j/k. It is alot more simplistic in use, only one tube to ventilate, only one pilot balloon to inflate. And if need be or allowed, they can be deflated and intubated around.

Robert Nestved
Old 12-02-2007, 23:46   #5
lthrbound

We have them here. I work for a private that services a few suburbs of denver, CO. I know at the BLS level they are allowed. And at the paramedic level they have been an invauable tool for me twice, both times in difficult intubations.
lthrbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 15:40   #6
FiremanMike
Way too busy

They just came and did a demo, we're buying a bunch in January. We're also buying the airtraq system, you should check that out also!
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 16:02   #7
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Our medical director was looking at those awhile back. Haven't heard anything since. Most likely if we get them, they will be a backup along with the combi-tube.
Old 12-15-2007, 23:53   #8
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
Our medical director was looking at those awhile back. Haven't heard anything since. Most likely if we get them, they will be a backup along with the combi-tube.

Our EMS Council checked them out last Spring. Haven't heard any more either.....

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 00:17   #9
10-32
Here, hold this

We trained with both the combitube and the King LT when I was training to be a Medic (Army). The King LT was a simpler device, and I believe the Army plans to use these more.
I don't have any reaal world experience with either, but I think I like the King better for ease of use.