Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:08   #1
jer9vs2324

My son the marine gets caught with a KaBar in his dorm room

Maybe I'm doing a little venting. Mt son is in the marine reserves, did a tour of duty in Iraq and just got back to the states last spring. He enrolled at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He had a little display in his dorm room of Iraq memorabilia (including his KaBar). The school asks the students to sign a document giving permission to the school to inspect rooms during Thanskgiving break to inspect the rooms for things like fire safety, etc. (sure). Anyway, they got in my son's room during Thanksgiving break, saw his KaBar, called the police to search his room and they confiscated his KaBar and Leatherman multi tool. He now has to appeard before the school disciplinary board for his "offense". The worse that could happen is him getting kicked out of school, the best would be a "warning". Somewhere in the middle is being put on probation which would kill his chance of being Resident Advisor (which he applied for to help with housing expenses). Fortunately his floor RA is standing by him and is testifying that my son is one of the best residences he has. Yeah I know he was careless in having a KaBar in his room and letting the school have access to his room during Thanksgiving. I'm just a little ticked at the heavy hand being demonstrated by the school.
jer9vs2324 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 15:21   #2
deadday

Posting in 3 different rooms is 'a little venting'?

drew
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 21:14   #3
D4RWlN

I was an active duty marine not long a go and I'm here to tell you that you can't even have a KBar in the barracks. They usually get over looked because c'mon Marine + KBar = Tradition, but it is against regs and have seen the confiscated. Anyways, my point is the word is full of stupid a-- rules. But yeeah, Leaving a Kbar out on display somewhere that its against the regs is not bright. Many of us had plaques with Kbars given to us by our units/ plattoons and still couldn't have them displayed with the Kbar in it. Regardless, I hope he gets off.
Old 11-30-2007, 22:53   #4
deadday

Want to hear assinine? I had a plaque from my last unit with a small (maybe 5-6" no way to remove it from the plaque without ruining the plaque, and probably breaking the tomahawk) tomahawk over the Cav flag, etc. etc. Given to me by the CO, removed from my barracks by the Plt. Sgt.

drew
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26   #5
THELimey
Ancient Member

Its BS we can all agree but "Situational Awareness" applies. When i was in the service there was a great many asanine rules. The civilian world has much the same per capita quota.

Keith Richards
THELimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40   #6
humanguerrilla

KA-BAR and leatherman...that's pretty silly and I bet chefs knives aren't an issue. I ran cross country and lived in athletes apartments in college. I roomed with baseball guys and the dumbass RAs made a big thing about bats and dumbbells before athletics and the dean of students put them in their place.
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 16:08   #7
Line Rider

jer9vs2324 what ever happen?
Old 02-18-2010, 22:37   #8
johns9761
New Glock Fan!!

I had my Ka-Bar taken from me when I lived in the barracks in Ft. Benning. It was supposedly locked up in the supply room. When I went home for a 4 day, I requested to have it returned to me so I could take it home for safe keeping...

...wouldn't ya' know...the damn thing mysteriously came up "missing".

Damn the world and it's dumb ass rules!
Old 02-18-2010, 22:43   #9
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

A 13" chrome steel metric wrench would make a better weapon IMO and I bet they are not banned.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 23:03   #10
Notrega

Tagged to get the ending - I remember this when it first came through
Old 02-18-2010, 23:10   #11
Max1775
Marine Infidel

Sad it has come down to people being afraid of college kids with knives when the world is full of extremists with arsenals... On the other side of the coin, you still gotta play by the rules if you want to stay on their field.
Big Dawg #1775
Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 19:14   #12
John NYPD
NRA Life Member

Next time he will hide his knife as good as he hid his M9.

Lesson learned...Wear it as a badge of Honor.

Thank your son for his service to our Country.

John

Last edited by John NYPD; 03-01-2010 at 11:39..
John NYPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 16:38   #13
walkin' trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by John NYPD View Post
Lesson learned...Wear it as a badge of Honor.

Thank your son for his service to our Country.

John
I agree! A U.S. Vet who served honorably should not have his chances to pursue higher education and career trashed because of something so stupid on the part of school administration. As long as he was striving to meet or exceed the honor and academic standards of the university, he should not be in that situation.

Although it would be amusing if a long-lense camera got trained on the seedy park where school administrators meet after hours....I'd suggest that he find some other vets who have little use for the junior hi no tolerance garbage of student residence halls and get an apartment or rent a house near campus. Even better, have any returning vets going after their educations ever thought about creating a veterens-only residence hall facility?
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 19:58   #14
myesque

BGSU sucks.... Just fyi.

My wife went there and everyone of the admins has a sock over their brains.
myesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 20:08   #15
lbckid19

rules are rules, he brought a deadly weapon on campus, However I bet he had no intent on using it and i hope the school shows leiniency. You just dont know whos gunna do what these days. It is the job of the administration to remain sceptical and enforce policy equally, no exceptions
lbckid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 20:25   #16
25pd

Semper fi !!!!!!!!!! & good luck in school after you win your case and don't
forget to get the k-bar back into your possessiopn...
25pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 20:30   #17
wrenrj1

Tell em it was mine...I'm a retired ARNG guy, come after me, I'll support my swabbys with funny hats, and the guts to use the KaBar the way it was intended.
Old 03-04-2010, 20:36   #18
snair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbckid19 View Post
rules are rules, he brought a deadly weapon on campus, However I bet he had no intent on using it and i hope the school shows leiniency. You just dont know whos gunna do what these days. It is the job of the administration to remain sceptical and enforce policy equally, no exceptions
snair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 20:37   #19
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I remember the days when a middle school teacher would borrow a pocket knife from a 12 year old student - in class - and then give it right back without anyone batting an eye. And then I read threads like this, and I mourn my countries total loss of common sense.

A marine can be trusted with guns and grenades through all kinds of difficult duties when fighting for our country, but at home, he isn't trusted with a knife. The liberal fruit cake who invented that concept should be ashamed.

Last edited by Brian Lee; 03-04-2010 at 20:38..
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 20:40   #20
Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanguerrilla View Post
KA-BAR and leatherman...that's pretty silly and I bet chefs knives aren't an issue. I ran cross country and lived in athletes apartments in college. I roomed with baseball guys and the dumbass RAs made a big thing about bats and dumbbells before athletics and the dean of students put them in their place.
+1 on the chef knife