Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:24   #1
Sgt. Rambo

Marine Corps Helicopter Pilots

Devil Dogs....I'm doing some research for my second novel, and I was wondering if Helicopter pilots carried call signs similar to jet pilots. Any information would help, I was former 2531 trained in 29 Stumps. Didn't have any contact with air wing. Share a call sign if you have one. Thanks...oh ps the first novel is out called "Crossing the Line." It's a border invasion/war fictional novel. It's available at www.tatepublishing.com. Thanks for the help, stay safe and Semper Fi!!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46   #2
FLMarine

As a Phrog driver I can tell you we have call signs. You get one usually for one of three reasons; play on your name, you resemble someone, or you do something really stupid.

We mainly use call signs as a way to identify who we are over interflight radios.

As for my call sign, it's not getting out on the net since it involves an embarrasing story after a night out on the town, lol.

Sgt Rambo- drop me a line on PM and I'll fill you in on callsigns since most are not appropriate to repeat in this forum.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:51   #3
deadday

Egg beater pilots in the Army do as well....

drew
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 14:32   #4
Biscuitsjam

My memory is kind of fuzzy, but I seem to remember them using standard callsigns over open channels. Things like "Slayer 2." Wouldn't the personal callsigns be for internal use on their private net only?
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 15:10   #5
FLMarine

Biscuitsjam,

Your memory is correct. We'll use our callsign for the squadron and number like you described when talking to outside agencies. When we talk over interflight freqs (between squadron helos) we'll use the personal callsign of whoever signed for the aircraft.

About the only time we'll use our personal callsign to anyone outside the flight is when we talk to other aircraft that our buddies are flying over discrete nets.
Old 12-07-2007, 16:40   #6
Sgt. Rambo

Greatly appreciate the info...

Thanks for the info, please keep it coming. How would the pilots communicate with air traffic controller...would it be formal numbers? Also if you have any good helicopter stories or what you served on or flew, would love to hear it.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:13   #7
corpdriller

Most pilot call sign are rarely used. They would refer to themselves or others by their squadron call sign, ie Warrior 11 or Leroy 01. Those are the squadron call sign and the flight number.
I spent 6 years in USMC aviation and 4 years in Army (NG) aviation.

What was your first book SR?
corpdriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:08   #8
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I knew a Marine gunny who was at Grenada and said a Sea Stallion pilot and crew chief convinced a bunch of 0311s that they "pushstarted" the Sea Stallion.....

Might have been a sea story, but it was a good one.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 21:59   #9
FLMarine

Push starting a Sea Stallion, yep I've heard of stories like that. Also have pulled pranks on grunts as well. You get the marines to push the helo and hit the brakes as you start the APU(aux power unit).

That same APU sounds like an engine failing when you leave it on and turn it off while in flight, but then again I wouldn't know anything about that.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45   #10
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

And some grunts return the favor by puking all over the aircraft. We had one Marine that would get sick at the mere mention of riding in a CH-46.

In all seriousness, I was dang glad to ride.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:20   #11
Sgt. Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpdriller View Post
Most pilot call sign are rarely used. They would refer to themselves or others by their squadron call sign, ie Warrior 11 or Leroy 01. Those are the squadron call sign and the flight number.
I spent 6 years in USMC aviation and 4 years in Army (NG) aviation.

What was your first book SR?
My first book just hit the market. It's called "Crossing the Line" the one I'm working on now is the sequel to that called "Holding the Line", both dealing with the current immigration problems and a massive border "crossing" and how individuals get caught up in it. Covers everthing from cops, civillians and marines. "Crossing the Line" goes nationwide 15 Jan 08 but can be purchased through me or the publisher Tate Publishing out of Okalahoma.
Old 01-04-2008, 13:54   #12
USMC1369

Send a message via Yahoo to USMC1369
That's a great cover for the book. I remember listening to the radio in 29stumps and hearing things like "Gunfighter13 in-bound on 050" and the like.
Old 01-25-2008, 13:27   #13
THE_CAPTAIN
B.T.D.T. MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
As a Phrog driver I can tell you we have call signs. You get one usually for one of three reasons; play on your name, you resemble someone, or you do something really stupid.

We mainly use call signs as a way to identify who we are over interflight radios.

As for my call sign, it's not getting out on the net since it involves an embarrasing story after a night out on the town, lol.

Sgt Rambo- drop me a line on PM and I'll fill you in on callsigns since most are not appropriate to repeat in this forum.
Sgt. Rambo,
I Remember A "Call-Sign" Given A Friend .... "CAPTAIN-CRUNCH ! , Gauranteed "Hard Landings" 3/10 Flights ......BUT, Twice "Decorated-4-Landing-Hard_on_Enemy Aircraft & APC !!

CAPTAIN-Out !

Last edited by THE_CAPTAIN; 02-26-2008 at 15:56..
THE_CAPTAIN is offline   Reply With Quote