SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2002, 16:37   #1
40Cal
Modurbator

What's your favorite hunting memory?

I'm sure everyone has a few trips that really stand out in their memory but what's the one that you look back and remember the most?

Mine was on Lake Jackson in Tallahassee, FL during duck season. Sun coming up, sitting in a blind with my best friend laughing about old times and then slaying the birds. I've had plenty of funny things happen and such but that stands out as the main reason I hunt, for the comraderie.

So let's hear it, what's yours?

Former crusader against the Evil Forces of Fluff.
40Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:09   #2
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

Actually, I'd have to say as of now, it have to be my 1st time going up to a rooster (pheasant) ranch. I know, I know, but it ain't no where near like "shooting fish in a barrel" like I used to think. Anyway, you're right 40Cal... I think the reason I remember that one the most is because of the friends I was with, the good time before, during & after... not to mention I couldn't miss that day! I took 50 rounds out in the field & took 5 birds with 5 shots!

It was just a plain perfect day.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:42   #3
MrMunster

Send a message via AIM to MrMunster
It is never the hunting, always the people I remember.

Nonetheless, I still remember my first rabbit @ 7, first quail @ 11, first pheasant @ 12, and my first deer @ 25. These are memorable hunting experiences, but are overshadowed by the hundreds of other hunting trips with my dad, grandpa, uncles, cousins, and other friends over the years.

"Life is mostly folks" -- Grandpa

We are all dying; it is only a question of the rate.
MrMunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 04:49   #4
badbilly429

Send a message via AIM to badbilly429 Send a message via Yahoo to badbilly429

i think my most memorable trip yet was when i was 18 got my first deer rifle hunting in cadillac michigan. was up with the usual crew, my best freind doug, my dad, my dads cousin, and a guy that my dad and his cousin work with. the pressure was really on after opening day everyone had a buck on the pole already except me. the morning of the 2nd day of the season i got my first buck a 6 point. took him with a 120 yard shoulder shot with my dads remington 700 30.06 with a redfield scope on it. once i gutted it out and threw it in the truck to take back up to the cabin and hang it on the pole we had just gotten him strung up there, and my dad came pulling in the drive from hunting on another piece of land that morning and i was standing there, and he walked up and he goes whos deer is that ? and i just sort of stood there smiling, and the look he gave me was the most awesome feeling ever, it was kind of like thats my son! hes a real man now! look im sure alot of you guys know what your talking about, and he came over and gave me this huge hug. it was probably one of my best days ever.

Member NRA-Thank You Sidearmor
.40 S&W club Member # 429
Sub Club Member # 429
Hunting, Fishing, Camping #429
Blade Runners #429
Big Dawgs Club # 2069

-<Member of the PERFECT WORLD Charter>-
badbilly429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:58   #5
sooner pete
STOOPS FOR PRES

My first bow hunt.My two brother in laws loaned me a bow and arrow and i practised for 1 hour,then the next morning after setting up i shot a 6 point 126 ibs. buck after only 30 minutes.They were seasoned hunters and i a 1hour Rookie.After 20 years i'am a seasoned hunter now,but that frist hunt will always be cristol clear.
sooner pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 13:28   #6
WalterGA

I started going on dove shoots with my dad before I started school. Got my first shotgun (Win pump, .410) when I was 6. We hunted and fished so much that most of the memories run together, and almost all were good memories.

BTW, have you seen Lake Jackson lately?
WalterGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 13:45   #7
40Cal
Modurbator

I haven't been to Lake Jackson since last year but when I was there it was dry as a bone. We ended up hunting Lake Seminole and Tampa Bay instead.

Former crusader against the Evil Forces of Fluff.
40Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 14:51   #8
WalterGA

Yep, dry, due to a large sinkhole, which drained the lake. Wonder how long all those fish lasted underground? I hunted ducks on Lake Seminole when I was a kid. Fish there now, and occasionally meet a friend of mine from Quincy, FL at Wingate's for lunch. Spring Creek runs through my home town and empties into Lake Seminole. Spring Creek is one of the most beautiful fishing streams I've ever been on, particularly this time of year.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:45   #9
okie
GT Mayor

memorys

When I was in high school I was out with some buddy hunting
vermon with a remington 572 pump .22. A rabbit jumped up
and took off and I plugged wim on a dead run (lucky shot)But
it was way kool I ended up selling that rifle and
am still kicking my self;6
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 18:00   #10
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

Oh this post will reek of estrogen!! Forgive me.....

Several years ago, while hunting with my then boyfriend and his little brother I was forced to carry down the warm heart and liver of the antelope they had shot. His mother wanted to cook them up.

I was hurrying as fast as my legs would carry me, heart in one hand, liver in the other, HOPING a bucket of soap and water was just around the next bend. We were in the middle of B.F.E. in Wyoming. Ack!!!
;a
Old 05-17-2002, 00:54   #11
WalterGA

"I was hurrying as fast as my legs would carry me, heart in one hand, liver in the other, HOPING a bucket of soap and water was just around the next bend. We were in the middle of B.F.E. in Wyoming. Ack!!!"

Thoughts of that "fond memory" make me want to puke straight up!
Old 05-17-2002, 03:10   #12
mpol777
Feral Member

the first time i ever got a duck.

i can still see everything so clearly. i was shooting a 20ga autoloader. we came up over high spot to where the pond was about 15ft down and there were 2 drakes and 1 hen mallard. it was cold as all get out and i had gloves on. because of the gloves i had a hard time pushing off the safety with my thumb. i finally got it and took the drake on the left. my dad took the hen. i never even thought about trying for the other drake. i was too pumped up and wanted to see if i got the first one.

this is more than my best hunting memory, it was my best memory period.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:10   #13
ithaca_deerslayer

Ok, me and my brother in the woods deer hunting. Meet up at noon. Sit on log and think things out. Then the sound "tsht, tsht, crack, ..." of a big buck walking our way. We each are frantically searching in any direction with our eyes to locate the approaching monster buck. Then suddenly, the log we were sitting on breaks and we fall on our assess.

true story.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 04:14   #14
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by badbilly429
he walked up and he goes whos deer is that ? and i just sort of stood there smiling, and the look he gave me was the most awesome feeling ever, it was kind of like thats my son! hes a real man now! look im sure alot of you guys know what your talking about, and he came over and gave me this huge hug. it was probably one of my best days ever.
Your story really touched me.

Never got that chance.

My father died when I was 9 years old and I only vaguely remember rabbit hunting and fishing with him.

One day I hope my three boys will have that magical moment when you know your boy "has" grown up. Think every young man needs a rite of passage when they can affirmatively declare their manhood.

And hunting is one heck of a ritual!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:54   #15
WalterGA

Duncan: Start 'em out young!
Old 05-18-2002, 05:59   #16
badbilly429

Send a message via AIM to badbilly429 Send a message via Yahoo to badbilly429

Quote:
Originally posted by duncan

Your story really touched me.

Never got that chance.

My father died when I was 9 years old and I only vaguely remember rabbit hunting and fishing with him.

One day I hope my three boys will have that magical moment when you know your boy "has" grown up. Think every young man needs a rite of passage when they can affirmatively declare their manhood.

And hunting is one heck of a ritual!
duncan, im truely sorry you missed out on that experience with your dad, but i do sincerely hope you get to do that with your 3 sons. its such a great feeling. and like walterga said start em out young as possible, my uncle is currently trying to get his 14 yr old into hunting, and i feel horrible because its just not working out for him at all, the kid is into sports and girls and hunting he could really care less about. so i try to spend as much time with my uncle when we are up north as possible. i tell ya i live on the lake and do alot of boating and partying all summer and i love it, but as time goes on i just wanna skip right over summer and get to october 1st and then november 15th. all i wanna do is be up north with my dad my uncle and my best freind.

Member NRA-Thank You Sidearmor
.40 S&W club Member # 429
Sub Club Member # 429
Hunting, Fishing, Camping #429
Blade Runners #429
Big Dawgs Club # 2069

-<Member of the PERFECT WORLD Charter>-
badbilly429 is offline   Reply With Quote