GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:58   #1
Glock'N'Load

Has anyone ever hunted with their Glock?

Just wondering if anyone has anyone gone out with their Glock and taken legal game.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59   #2
WellArmedSheep
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock'N'Load View Post
Just wondering if anyone has anyone gone out with their Glock and taken legal game.
Not me, but I have a friend that hunts deer with a G20.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
WellArmedSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59   #3
B.Reid

Killed a Mule Deer with my G20 last October!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 13:44   #4
vafish

Down in the hunting, fishing, and camping club there is a thread about a guy that shot a mule deer with a G20 this year.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 14:09   #5
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Yes, but didn't get a chance to take a shot. Will be using it to hunt pigs when the leaves start to drop and let us get in to some places.
Old 12-17-2007, 14:42   #6
Big_Jim

I killed one a few years ago with a G22.
Big_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 14:59   #7
Mike Wood

I'm waiting for a G20 SF. I can't think of a better firearm to have on you if there is dangerous game around. Plenty of power and much more than 6 shots. I supposed in a hunting situation it would put deer sized game down with the right ammo. But if a bear was going to be on top of me and I could get to the gun he would be in danger as well.
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 15:17   #8
Desertscout
CLM Number 194
Charter Lifetime Member

G20 w/180 gr.Hornady XTP. 112 yards.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Desertscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 16:19   #9
Mike Wood

[QUOTE=Desertscout;9462882]G20 w/180 gr.Hornady XTP. 112 yards.

Ok, being a hunter and a competitive handgunner I have a few questions. There is no doubt that this cartridge gun combo will put an animal like that down. But the range is a bit excessive for that gun with iron sights. 112 yards! It sounds like you measured it off. Desert Scout you had to know that putting that on here is going to generate questions.

So here they come: I'm not doubting you. I know this shot can be made because I've done it and seen it done at the range with steel and humanoid targets. How many shots did it take you to connect and did you have a rest of any kind? What was your POA? How much penetration did you get at that range?

At any rate nice deer, very impressive. How much luck was involved?
Old 12-17-2007, 18:52   #10
Desertscout
CLM Number 194
Charter Lifetime Member

[QUOTE=Mike Wood;9463224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertscout View Post
G20 w/180 gr.Hornady XTP. 112 yards.

Ok, being a hunter and a competitive handgunner I have a few questions. There is no doubt that this cartridge gun combo will put an animal like that down. But the range is a bit excessive for that gun with iron sights. 112 yards! It sounds like you measured it off. Desert Scout you had to know that putting that on here is going to generate questions.

So here they come: I'm not doubting you. I know this shot can be made because I've done it and seen it done at the range with steel and humanoid targets. How many shots did it take you to connect and did you have a rest of any kind? What was your POA? How much penetration did you get at that range?

At any rate nice deer, very impressive. How much luck was involved?
Thanks, Mike.

Here's the deal. The only luck involved was being in the right place at the right time. I can make that shot 100 times out of a 100 under the same conditions. That gun will consistently hold less than 3.5" groups at 50 yards and, believe it or not, is nearly that good at 100. I don't know exactly why. Yes, I stepped it off after I was sure he was down for good. I took 2 shots but the 2nd one was totally unnecessary as you'll see below.
The gun is usually sighted in for 75 yards as it is my primary hunting gun. That makes it about 3" or so low at 100. Pretty easy to hit well out to 125 or so. It is the only Glock that I have with adjustable sights because I change zeroes with bullet weights and species hunted sometimes.
Penetration was complete and went through both lungs and never slowed down. In fact, I was a little disappointed at that. The bullet was still going nearly 1100fps and should have expanded. I'll have to do somemore testing before I use those bullets again next year.

I forgot to add that the first shot was from kneeling and the 2nd from standing.

Here's my original post from early Nov....

10mm, one - mule deer, zero.

Another mulie succumbs to the awesome power of the 10mm at 0700 this morning.
I was bound and determined to get my deer again this year with my G20. I passed on several within rifle range in hopes of getting within range with my pistola. I had planned to hold out until tomorrow evening and then go get one with a rifle if I couldn't make a pistol shot. This unfortunate little fork-horn wandered a little too close. 180 gr. Hornady XTP traveling at 1300 fps at 112 yards through both lungs. He walked around for a minute then went down. I was sure I had made a good shot but I was still approaching him slowly. A dang pheasant jumped right out from under me and scared me and the deer both. He jumped up and started running and, as sure as I was that my shot was good, I didn't want him to get into some thick brush so I shot again as he was running at about 25 yards. The 2nd shot entered his left ear and came out his left eye. Sure enough, that anchored him

Second shot...

Here's what the lungs looked like. Very little expansion.

Here's a 50 yard target. The group on the left was beofre the final sight adjustment.

And here's the gun I shot it with...

BTW, in our 3rd level of handgun training here, we have everyone shooting at 100 yards. It's really not that hard with the proper technique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Desertscout; 12-17-2007 at 19:04..
Old 12-17-2007, 20:09   #11
Mike Wood

Desert Scout, thanks for the very detailed report. I always love to hear about a successful hunt. I don't know many guys that hunt with handguns but to tell you the truth at least 1/2 the deer I've shot I could have used a gun like you've got. I did shoot one deer with a Coonan .357mag auto but it was a mercy killing on the side of the road. Considerably closer than the forkhorn you shot. Splatter distance actually.

I've always like the 10mm cartridge but the only guns I've ever had chambered for it were 2 very crappy Colt Delta Elites. Sloppy and unreliable.

As soon as they come out with an SF version of the G20 I'm on it. Your's has a nice grip reduction. What is the coating/paint you have on the frame? To anyone that is a doubter of auto handguns being used for hunting medium sized game take note - this is how it is done!
Thanks Dude.
MW
Old 12-17-2007, 22:52   #12
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

[QUOTE=Desertscout;9464217]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post

Thanks, Mike.

Here's the deal. The only luck involved was being in the right place at the right time. I can make that shot 100 times out of a 100 under the same conditions. That gun will consistently hold less than 3.5" groups at 50 yards and, believe it or not, is nearly that good at 100. I don't know exactly why. Yes, I stepped it off after I was sure he was down for good. I took 2 shots but the 2nd one was totally unnecessary as you'll see below.
The gun is usually sighted in for 75 yards as it is my primary hunting gun. That makes it about 3" or so low at 100. Pretty easy to hit well out to 125 or so. It is the only Glock that I have with adjustable sights because I change zeroes with bullet weights and species hunted sometimes.
Penetration was complete and went through both lungs and never slowed down. In fact, I was a little disappointed at that. The bullet was still going nearly 1100fps and should have expanded. I'll have to do somemore testing before I use those bullets again next year.

I forgot to add that the first shot was from kneeling and the 2nd from standing.

Here's my original post from early Nov....

10mm, one - mule deer, zero.

Another mulie succumbs to the awesome power of the 10mm at 0700 this morning.
I was bound and determined to get my deer again this year with my G20. I passed on several within rifle range in hopes of getting within range with my pistola. I had planned to hold out until tomorrow evening and then go get one with a rifle if I couldn't make a pistol shot. This unfortunate little fork-horn wandered a little too close. 180 gr. Hornady XTP traveling at 1300 fps at 112 yards through both lungs. He walked around for a minute then went down. I was sure I had made a good shot but I was still approaching him slowly. A dang pheasant jumped right out from under me and scared me and the deer both. He jumped up and started running and, as sure as I was that my shot was good, I didn't want him to get into some thick brush so I shot again as he was running at about 25 yards. The 2nd shot entered his left ear and came out his left eye. Sure enough, that anchored him

Second shot...

Here's what the lungs looked like. Very little expansion.

Here's a 50 yard target. The group on the left was beofre the final sight adjustment.

And here's the gun I shot it with...

BTW, in our 3rd level of handgun training here, we have everyone shooting at 100 yards. It's really not that hard with the proper technique

At present, my G20 with 10.5 Blue Dot, and cast loads are getting very tight groups at 50yds. 100yd groups are plenty good for deer, but not as tight as i would like to see them. That being said. What front and rear sights are you using on your G20? I would appreciate the responce. I am interested in going this route with mine as well. (adjustable sights ).

Thanks

CanyonMan

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 23:45   #13
Desertscout
CLM Number 194
Charter Lifetime Member

[QUOTE=CanyonMan;9466181]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertscout View Post

At present, my G20 with 10.5 Blue Dot, and cast loads are getting very tight groups at 50yds. 100yd groups are plenty good for deer, but not as tight as i would like to see them. That being said. What front and rear sights are you using on your G20? I would appreciate the responce. I am interested in going this route with mine as well. (adjustable sights ).

Thanks

CanyonMan
The front and rear are not a mix and match. They are adjustable +1 Meprolight adjustable night sights. As I mentioned above, this is the only set of adjustable sights that I have on any of my 8 Glocks but they work well for the purpose that I use them for on this gun.

Old 12-17-2007, 23:48   #14
Big Sky

I plan on it. Next season at the step families (if that makes any sense) ranch 9mm Ranger +p+ does at no more than 25 yards. Call me curious.
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 23:56   #15
Desertscout
CLM Number 194
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
As soon as they come out with an SF version of the G20 I'm on it. Your's has a nice grip reduction. What is the coating/paint you have on the frame? To anyone that is a doubter of auto handguns being used for hunting medium sized game take note - this is how it is done!
Thanks Dude.
MW
It's DuraCoat. We do quite a few of them. I don't know why I picked this color and I'm not sure if I like it yet but I reckon I can change it any time if I don't like it.

Last edited by Desertscout; 12-18-2007 at 00:23..
Old 12-18-2007, 15:09   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

[QUOTE=Desertscout;9466485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post

The front and rear are not a mix and match. They are adjustable +1 Meprolight adjustable night sights. As I mentioned above, this is the only set of adjustable sights that I have on any of my 8 Glocks but they work well for the purpose that I use them for on this gun.

Thank you sir. This is what I needed to know!

CM

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 15:23   #17
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
"...I was bound and determined to get my deer again this year with my G20. I passed on several within rifle range in hopes of getting within range with my pistola..."

How many deer can you harvest a year? We can get one buck and one doe a day.
Here in lower AL, where I hunt, you don't get very many 100 yard shots unless you hunt food plots or power lines. I prefer the woods hunting, so a long shot is around 75 yards then.
I plan on hog hunting with my 20C, but am going to put a red dot sight on it. Pigs are open season all year round and have no limit.
Old 12-18-2007, 18:14   #18
Desertscout
CLM Number 194
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
"...I was bound and determined to get my deer again this year with my G20. I passed on several within rifle range in hopes of getting within range with my pistola..."

How many deer can you harvest a year? We can get one buck and one doe a day.
Here in lower AL, where I hunt, you don't get very many 100 yard shots unless you hunt food plots or power lines. I prefer the woods hunting, so a long shot is around 75 yards then.
I plan on hog hunting with my 20C, but am going to put a red dot sight on it. Pigs are open season all year round and have no limit.
By "again this year", I meant that I killed my deer last year also but with another G20. You can only kill one a year here. It's not often that you get "close" shots in this area. This is wide-open country around here and 100 yards is considered close by most with 200 probably being the norm. Those that have the desire can certainly get closer but those of us that can shoot and have no desire to play Pocahontas just live with the longer shots. My longest deer shot that I can remember is 320 yards with a .338-06 and my longest elk was an even 400 with a .30-'06. Both were one-shot kills.

Old 12-18-2007, 22:05   #19
noway

I've taken a few hogs with G20 but they where under 20yards for the most part. One was maybe over 30yrds and that was a barely. 4 needed moere than one bullet and one needed more than 3 bullets.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57   #20
ks farmboy

ive carried mine while hog hunting. those things are crazy and will attack you. never shot with it though.

Black Rifle Club #4191
ks farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote