SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:53   #1
bbvk05
Señor Member

Costco Firearms Policy Letter/email Writing Campaign

I think that gun owners here in AZ (and everywhere) should write emails and letters to costco expressing their dissatisfaction with costco's arcane "no firearms" policy. I want to have at least a hundred letters/emails sent by the end of January. Maybe we can change their policy.

Write an email in your own words about why you think the policy should be changed to memberservice@costco.com. Please be as professional as possible. Post what you write here!

Here is what I wrote:
To Whom it May Concern,

I wanted to let your company know why I have stopped shopping at your stores and why I am not going to be renewing my membership next year. It is your posted policy that prohibits firearms in your store.

The nearest Costco to me (Spectrum mall in Phoenix, Arizona) is at a mall that I consider to be a dangerous place. It is notorious for car theft, car jacking and gang activity in and around the parking lots. I have a friend that was car jacked in the mall parking lot outside your store. Like thousands of people in Arizona I have a concealed weapons permit, which allows me to legally carry a concealed weapon in public. I choose to do so frequently when I go to the area around your store.

I understand that you DO NOT want firearms in the store, as a safety measure. However, I DO want my firearm in your store, also as a safety measure. As I walk at night across your poorly lit and obviously dangerous parking lot I would be given significant mental peace and be tangibly safer if I had my firearm. By banning firearms in your store you also ban them for the walk into and out of the store. In area in which your store is located I am not willing to take that risk.

I have stopped shopping at your stores, which is a shame because your prices (as compared to local stores) are attractive enough to warrant a longer drive. You prices are not attractive enough to warrant my walking unarmed around Spectrum mall. Your competitor, Sams Club, does not have a similar arcane firearms policy. Because of this issue I joined Sams Club and I enjoy shopping there because it is in a little better area and because they do not disarm law abiding citizens, like myself, in their parking lots and stores.

I am writing this because I like your stores more. I think the employees, product selection and, to a small extent, prices are better Costco than Sams Club. Thus, I eagerly await the day when I can feel comfortable shopping at your stores again. I will be back when you change your firearms policy to allow me to carry in your stores.

Sincerely,

bbvk05 (used real name)
bbvk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 16:42   #2
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Costco do care about what you think. Get 100,000 Costco to unjoin and they will care.
akapennypincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 22:38   #3
dsgrntldPW
A Short Member

Love Costco, just bought a new Aquos TV there Wednesday. Whenever I go there I'm reminded of these four words: "Don't ask, don't tell." Has always worked for me.
Mulan's Labia
dsgrntldPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 00:25   #4
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

What policy?
"The Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed" - Constitution for the U.S.A.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 00:35   #5
Crazy4nitro
Happy Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgrntldPW View Post
Whenever I go there I'm reminded of these four words: "Don't ask, don't tell." Has always worked for me.

I'm With That Dude.....I have carried in costco Many Times.

'Nitro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Crazy4nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00   #6
pulaskipusher
Topodaworldma!

I have carried in Costco, however I have never seen a sign. If I did see a sign I would probably go the same route you did, not shop there, not renew my membership, and write a letter to the company.

Drive it like you rented it, not like you stole it. Cus if you stole it, you'd be driving 5 mph below the speed limit and using your turn signals.
pulaskipusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:23   #7
dsgrntldPW
A Short Member

I mostly see the sign somewhere on the outside wall, often between the entrance and exit doors. But once or twice It's bee right inside the entrance on that little fence between the entry and exit. May be different up in your area.
Mulan's Labia
dsgrntldPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 19:28   #8
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
What policy?

The big sign by the entrance.... NO GUNS....
akapennypincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 21:07   #9
Azjeeper

Im in Im going to write them an email and tell my friends and family to do the same.
Azjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 13:01   #10
CU4X4N
5th of November

Its funny because I live within 15 minutes of three (!) Costco's here in Phoenix.
The one off Hayden in Scottsdale has the "No Firearms" sign up as well as the one on 27th Ave near the 17 & 101 in Phoenix.
But the one at Beardsley and Cave Creek Rd does not have the sign up.
Manager's discretion?
Old 01-04-2008, 18:23   #11
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapennypincher View Post
The big sign by the entrance.... NO GUNS....
What sign? I didn't see any sign. Where's my costco card? You know you have to show your card as you enter.
,Get a cart honey. Do you have the shopping list? Did I bring my check book? Is my fly zipped?
"The Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed" - Constitution for the U.S.A.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 22:31   #12
G26AZ

Personally I'm always so busy getting my Costco card out of the wallet that I've never seen the sign stating "No firearms on premises" between the two doors at the Baseline and Country Club location.
I have, however, noticed two or three people that had suspicious bulges on thier hips under their photo-journalists vests while in the store.
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote