Old 12-20-2007, 08:41   #1
Hunca Munca
nonplussed

EMT charged in traffic fatality

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07354/843191-54.stm

Ambulance driver faces trial in crash that killed 2
Thursday, December 20, 2007
By Daniel Malloy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Shanea Leigh Climo, an ambulance driver involved in a collision in Marshall that killed two men Sept. 23, was ordered yesterday to stand trial on 15 charges related to the crash.

The charges against Ms. Climo, 22, of Evans City, include two counts of homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence in the deaths of Douglas Stitt, 38, of Mercer, and Phillip Bacon, 32, of Sharpsville.

Police say Ms. Climo ran a red light and struck a car driven by Mr. Stitt as he made a left turn onto Route 19 from Brush Creek Road. Mr. Bacon was a passenger in the car.

Ms. Climo, working the overnight shift for Cranberry Volunteer Ambulance Corp., was not seriously injured, nor was the paramedic in the back of the ambulance or the elderly patient they were transporting.

Ms. Climo's blood-alcohol level, taken at Allegheny General Hospital an hour and 20 minutes after the crash, was 0.07, below the state level of intoxication of 0.08. But Assistant District Attorney Bruce Beemer argued that she was legally intoxicated at the time of the crash.

Dr. Gregory Fochtme, a toxicology expert for the prosecution, testified that using the 0.07 reading as a baseline, he extrapolated that Ms. Climo's blood-alcohol content at the time of the crash was between 0.082 and 0.095.

But Ms. Climo's attorney, Stephen Misko, challenged his methodology, getting Dr. Fochtme to admit that if a margin of error for the first test were factored in, the low end of the estimate could drop below the legal limit for intoxication.

William Humes, the paramedic in the back of the ambulance, testified that he did not notice any signs of intoxication in Ms. Climo from the time she arrived for her shift at midnight to the crash at 2:20 a.m.

Northern Regional Police Officer Ken Young, who investigated the crash, testified that Ms. Climo was driving between 50 and 55 mph at the moment of impact, and 68 to 70 mph before she started braking. The speed limit on that section of Route 19 is 40 mph.

Ambulance drivers are instructed to follow speed limits and to come to a brief stop at red lights before rolling through intersections, even during an emergency, Mr. Humes said.

Ms. Climo had the flashing emergency lights on, according to witnesses, but did not turn on the siren until 2.25 seconds before impact, according to a video recording from inside the ambulance.

The video captured Ms. Climo yelling "Oh, my God," and slamming on the brakes 0.75 of a second before impact.

Ms. Climo, who did not testify during the two-hour hearing, is free on bond. Formal arraignment is scheduled for Feb.

Don't drink and transport!!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:08   #2
PeterJasonMN

Wouldn't matter here in MN anyways, because we still have it on the books where you don't need to be above the pro se limit.

Fry the *****. Plain and simple.
PeterJasonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 23:52   #3
miked36258

what a dumb ass.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:56   #4
nate94gt

what an idiot. Going to a call while having alcohol..... ugh, makes me sick
nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:51   #5
Tvov

We stress regularly in our VFD about slowing down at intersections, whether or not you have the green or red light, or have lights and siren on. So many people have the windows rolled up and their brain NOT on driving that you have to assume they have no clue you are there. That is one good thing about the sirens on fire engines, we have the Federal siren and the air horns. It is the rare person who can ignore an air horn, although it does happen.

Turning the siren on 2.25 seconds before the intersection and crash is a good amount of time at road speed. Especially at 2AM, many emergency responders (paid or volunteer, including police) don't use their sirens when responding until they approach an intersection. 2 seconds away from an intersection is a pretty good distance, especially if they are local roads.

I don't know all the details of the accident, and certainly the driver shouldn't have been drinking before her shift, but I hate to pile on right away. And "extrapolating" what "might have been" is certainly a dangerous thing for courts to do.

Actually, re-reading the original post, going 68-70mph in a 40mph zone seems fast. Hmm, the more I re-read that, the less impressed I am with the driver. But again, I hate after the fact quarterbacking without a better knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by Tvov; 12-22-2007 at 11:54..
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 14:51   #6
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

This thread shows how deadly DUI can be. See why its not a good idea to just drive a drunk home like some cops (in cop talk) here in the past have admitted to. Eventually someone dies.
pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 18:56   #7
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
We stress regularly in our VFD about slowing down at intersections, whether or not you have the green or red light, or have lights and siren on. So many people have the windows rolled up and their brain NOT on driving that you have to assume they have no clue you are there. That is one good thing about the sirens on fire engines, we have the Federal siren and the air horns. It is the rare person who can ignore an air horn, although it does happen.

Turning the siren on 2.25 seconds before the intersection and crash is a good amount of time at road speed. Especially at 2AM, many emergency responders (paid or volunteer, including police) don't use their sirens when responding until they approach an intersection. 2 seconds away from an intersection is a pretty good distance, especially if they are local roads.

I don't know all the details of the accident, and certainly the driver shouldn't have been drinking before her shift, but I hate to pile on right away. And "extrapolating" what "might have been" is certainly a dangerous thing for courts to do.

Actually, re-reading the original post, going 68-70mph in a 40mph zone seems fast. Hmm, the more I re-read that, the less impressed I am with the driver. But again, I hate after the fact quarterbacking without a better knowledge of the situation.
NO "extrapolating" about it. She was WELL over the proper limit for a provider on duty.....

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52   #8
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DScottHewitt View Post
NO "extrapolating" about it. She was WELL over the proper limit for a provider on duty.....

Scott

THIS!

I have absolutely no sympathy for this woman. She gives us all a bad name and she needs to be punished to the fullest extent that the law allows!
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 23:20   #9
MissAmericanPie
Troop Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
THIS!

I have absolutely no sympathy for this woman. She gives us all a bad name and she needs to be punished to the fullest extent that the law allows!
+1000

Remember our fallen heroes and never forget why they died.
MissAmericanPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53   #10
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
I mean, come on. We can't even eat a meal in a restaurant that SERVES alcohol while we are working.....

No Hooters
No Applebees
No Hooters

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 21:18   #11
miked36258

Quote:
I mean, come on. We can't even eat a meal in a restaurant that SERVES alcohol while we are working.....

No Hooters
No Applebees
No Hooters

Scott
no hooters? what next?
Old 12-28-2007, 19:36   #12
I FLEX
punish-enslave

Quote:

No Hooters
No Applebees
No Hooters

Scott

Too bad.... the women in Hooters love a man in uniform.
Old 12-28-2007, 21:08   #13
abrogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post

We are taught that if you have lights on, you MUST have your siren on, also, and vice versa. No matter what. And we can't DEMAND the right away, only "ask" with our ER equipment. Now at 2 am, 3 am, 4am traffic is not typically a problem, so do responders necessarily need to have their lights and sirens on? More than likely no; it's not gonna save much time... Think about it in perspective.

STOP AT ALL INTERSECTIONS, EVEN IF THEY ARE GREEN, and don't drive like a maniac, obey the laws, we aren't exempt from everything. Know your city and state laws. God, I have seen so many people who need to take a Emergency Responders driving course...

The woman being charged needs to be punished to the fullest extent. She put her partner, the patient, herself, and the public at risk... and KILLED 2 innocent men. IDIOT!
abrogan is offline   Reply With Quote