Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2007, 18:40   #1
humanguerrilla

Vietnam Army vets OD BDU sleeve roll?

I was wondering if the "Army roll" of BDUs (for quick "accordian" sweep fold down) started with Camo BDUs or if it was done specifically during Vietnam with the ODs. Anyone do the "Army roll" in Vietnam? Thanks.
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:53   #2
WIG19
Light left on

Must be a term after my time; we just rolled 'em up or cut 'em off.
Old 12-27-2007, 13:43   #3
WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanguerrilla View Post
I was wondering if the "Army roll" of BDUs (for quick "accordian" sweep fold down) started with Camo BDUs or if it was done specifically during Vietnam with the ODs. Anyone do the "Army roll" in Vietnam? Thanks.
The BDU sleeve roll came with the issue of the BDU in 1981.
WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 17:01   #4
GreenBeret1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
The BDU sleeve roll came with the issue of the BDU in 1981.
We wore the OD 107 uniform, with a pistol belt and sleeves rolled up, during the Vietnam era and into the early 70's. This was a common practice with SF soldiers, especially in garrison. I still think it's one of the best uniforms ever issued.

1st PATTERN JUNGLE JACKET:

WEIGHT (size Medium Reg) = 1lb 4oz.

The tropical jungle jacket olive green Army shade OG-107 (shirt) was adopted (along with it's matching trousers) as the main field uniform for Vietnam after 1963. This was further expanded upon on 27th October 1967 when USARV (United States ARmy Vietnam) declared that the tropical combat uniform was to be used as the primary duty uniform for all US Army personnel serving in Vietnam.

The new tropical jacket was copied from the US WW2 paratroopers jump smock. The tropical jacket was a sensible and functional piece of field equipment which was made from a tight woven but lightweight rip-stop or twill cotton poplin. This afforded the wearer good protection from biting insects and the strong tropical sun. Being a loosely fitting garment which was meant to be worn outside the trousers it also gave good breathability and ventilation.

The original 1st pattern jacket had two slanted bellowed chest pockets and two bellowed lower pockets, each pocket was secured via two green plastic buttons. Down the front and sewn on the inside of the 1st pattern jacket was a flap of fabric (called a "gas flap") which could be secured via buttons across the opening. This was supposed to afford the wearer some protection in the event of a gas attack. The 1st pattern tropical jacket also came with shoulder straps and side tab pull-ins. During the course of the war the tropical jacket under went several modifications. The exposed buttons on the pocket flaps were found to snag on webbing, this snagging problem also applied to the shoulder straps and the pull- in tabs which would get hung up on twigs and branches. The other main modification made to the jungle jacket was the removal of the gas flap.

The 2nd pattern jungle jacket had concealed buttons on all pocket flaps, the gas flap was removed and the side pull-ins had also been dropped.

The 3rd (and final) pattern jungle jacket had concealed buttons, no gas flap, no pull-in tabs and no shoulder straps.

TROPICAL TROUSERS:

WEIGHT (size large long) = 1lb 4oz.

The tropical trousers were manufactured of the same tight woven fabric and in the same olive green Army shade OG-107 as the jungle jacket. Like the 1st pattern jungle jacket, the first pattern jungle trousers had exposed buttons on the pocket flaps these were soon changed to familiar concealed button flaps. The tropical trousers had two slash hip pockets, two rear pockets and two leg cargo pockets. Both leg cargo pockets had small reinforced drain holes, the left leg cargo pocket also had a smaller pocket built inside it. The smaller pocket inside the left leg cargo pocket was intended for an individual first aid kit that was never satisfactorily developed. The fly fastening on the tropical trouser was either via a brass zipper or five evenly spaced buttons. The bottoms of the trousers had tunnel draw cords which were used to tie the trouser bottoms over the wearers boots.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
GreenBeret1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16   #5
WIG19
Light left on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBeret1631 View Post
We wore the OD 107 uniform, with a pistol belt and sleeves rolled up, during the Vietnam era and into the early 70's. This was a common practice with SF soldiers, especially in garrison. I still think it's one of the best uniforms ever issued.
Also the sharpest looking, yet understated, setup around.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:33   #6
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

My dad (previously Army, Vietnam era) when in the Navy reserves, always rolled his sleeves Army style. As one of the senior NCOs in the unit and the only one with combat experience they let him do his thing, and his Army service predated the BDU (and they were wearing green fatigues for a while too, I remember the first time i saw him in BDUs in the mid 80s). So as far as I know, it predated the BDU. Maybe not as a service-wide thing, but it was apparently done.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:43   #7
humanguerrilla

Many thanks for the info folks.
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote