Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:48   #21
SCmasterblaster

Anchors Aweigh!

Please pass on my well wishes and congratulations.

USN 1974-80
Old 02-09-2008, 20:36   #22
squidville_1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubllehead View Post
don't laugh. I went to a party with at least 2/3 of their Sub force in like 1990 and again in 92. Lots of Crown. love those guys.
Hi there bubllehed, I am a BUBBLEHEAD too.
squidville_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10   #23
BillR

We just got the first actual letter from him. It sounds like he's doing great. He's impressed with the food, but says some of his shipmates are causing alot of extra PT for everyone with their evening talking and such.
He aced the initial familiarization/saftey class with the M9. (That's my boy!)
Old 03-14-2008, 08:48   #24
BillR

It's been a long 8 weeks (for us!) but he graduates from boot camp next Friday. We're leaving for Chicago early Thursday morning.
We got a letter from him yesterday and he qualified Marksman with the M9. He said the trigger sucked compared to my Glocks that he'd shot a good bit.
He leaves for Pensacola (A-school) the same day he graduates, but it'll be a fun couple of hours on Friday.
EDIT: He CALLED today! They had Battle Stations and the capping ceremony last night. He's a sailor! He'll still be marching in review next Friday.

Last edited by BillR; 03-14-2008 at 17:27..
BillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26   #25
Mrhat201

Tell him to listen to anything anyone over him says, and don't mess with any one with chief in their title.
Old 03-24-2008, 21:16   #26
BillR

We got back home late yesterday after traveling to Great Lakes for graduation. The ceremony was awesome, but it was f-n COLD. It snowed almost a foot during graduation day on Friday, and it was snowing sideways as they were marching in.
He also got his orders slightly "modified". His A-school is now in Oceana NAS near Virginia Beach. He heads out there from Chicago in about 11 days. The good part about that is we had all day on Saturday to spend with him.
He's got a great attitude so far; I just hope and pray that it continues and he doesn't get in with the wrong crowd.

Last edited by BillR; 03-24-2008 at 21:18..
BillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 20:50   #27
Derrin33

Well seeing that he is an Airdale, carrier time will come. As a former flightdeck yellowshirt, the best advice is.......Mouth shut, head on swivel. The lines painted on the flight deck are there for a reason. Walking behind aircraft is ok, but there is a certain way to do it. If a man or woman in a yellow shirt tell you to do something, it's best to listen. KEEP YOUR TOOLS OFF THE DECK!!! Show up for FOD walkdowns...PLEASE!! And remember, no flightdeck crew (V-1) cares about your wing spread. Anyway, the flight deck is an AMAZING place to be. Just tell him to listen, and always watch! All this was done in humor, but so very true!!!
Derrin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:26   #28
bwphoto
Lifetime Membership

Congrats BillR. I'm proud of you and your son! Keep the updates coming.
bwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 23:50   #29
bfg1971

Please pass my congratulations on to your son. Make sure that he has signed up for the GI-bill even if he is in a state that pays for college you still get the money.

Second get signed up for Thrift Savings Plan. They may not match your contribution but it is a tax credit when you are junior enlisted and not making much yet. The credit goes away at $50,000 AGI. If you make less than 15K the credit is 50% of what you put into the savings plan. The credit does down in value as you make more.

Third if he decides he doesn't want to stay in any longer and absolutely knows he will attend college. Buy they GI-bill kicker for $600 just before getting out and get an extra $150 a month for 36 months of school. I bought mine less than a week before getting out. Made $4500 on a week long investment.

Get the Navy to pay for as much college as you can. Take CLEP and DANTES exams. The Navy pays the testing fees. I recieved a BS in nuclear engineering tech based on my navy schools, a statistics course the navy paid for, and 1 clep test.

Now I'm in grad school and the Gi-bill is paying for it.

One more thing to tell him. Thank you!!!

Capacity without capability is useless!
bfg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:04   #30
BillR

He arrived in Virginia Beach this week for his A school. He got his wish, as he'll be working on F-18s. He called yesterday just to tell me he was watching some of the Blue Angel pilots practicing.
His school is scheduled to end on 5/14. After that, who knows where he'll be stationed.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:12   #31
Jtemple
Geek

Three rules:

1. Never be first

2. Never be last

3. Never volunteer for anything

If he follows those three rules, boot camp will be a breeze.

I actually had fun in boot camp, in a twisted sort of way.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote