Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2007, 16:53   #1
USMCGLOCKER

Send a message via Yahoo to USMCGLOCKER
HELP !! I'm moving to NY, what to do??

New Yorkers!!

I'll be moving to Rochester, NY (from Indiana) for about a year after this upcoming semester for work, and am wondering if any of you know what I need to do to keep my guns legal (all of the ones in my signature line). Online resources, personal experiences, and other references are all good. I would like to be able to carry still, but mainly, I just want to be able to have them in my place legally when I live there (if possible). I doubt the AR15 will fly, but the pistols are hopefully good to go. Whaddaya think?... other than don't move away from the great free state of Indiana.

-Brett
USMCGLOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 13:14   #2
FrankRochester

none of your guns are ok to have in NY. You have to have a license just to possess a handgun in NY. And they don't give out non-resident versions. And your AR-15 is a no-no if it is in "Pre-Ban" configuration. We have our own version of the 1994 Federal AWB. And it never expires. So no post ban high cap mags either. Better plan on leaving your guns home. Where are you going to be working in Rochester?
FrankRochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 14:07   #3
USMCGLOCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankRochester View Post
none of your guns are ok to have in NY. You have to have a license just to possess a handgun in NY. And they don't give out non-resident versions. And your AR-15 is a no-no if it is in "Pre-Ban" configuration. We have our own version of the 1994 Federal AWB. And it never expires. So no post ban high cap mags either. Better plan on leaving your guns home. Where are you going to be working in Rochester?
I appreciate your info, and I had kind of come to the realization that I would be without them for the year...

I am not sure where I'll be working just yet, but this semester I'll be applying in a number of places. It is likely that I will end up working with Rochester U doing something related to academics.

Damn NY for being so commie !!
Old 12-29-2007, 17:21   #4
FrankRochester

University of Rochester is a good school. Keep in touch, when are you moving?
Old 12-29-2007, 17:38   #5
USMCGLOCKER

Will do. I'm moving in the summer. I have one more semester of college here to do first !
Old 12-30-2007, 15:26   #6
da chef
glock convert

i lived in rochester for about 12 years. at one time had picked up the ccw application but never completed so i'm no authority on the subject but if memory serves me correctly you needed 6 months of residency plus references. might be a bit more difficult as you're coming from out of state but still possible that u won't be without your handguns for the entire year. of course laws may have been changed and i might even be completely wrong about the residency requirements but don't lose all hope i had plenty of friends and family in rochester with their ccw.

Good luck!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 15:37   #7
da chef
glock convert

well i was right but that won't help you

sorry i forgot the application process can take up to 6 months!

http://www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php
Old 12-30-2007, 15:43   #8
da chef
glock convert

thought these might help

housing links

http://nothnagle.com/

http://rentrochester.com/
Old 12-30-2007, 16:25   #9
USMCGLOCKER

Thanks! That rentrochester site is great!
Old 01-02-2008, 20:49   #10
buddah

Send a message via AIM to buddah Send a message via Yahoo to buddah
If you feel that you must have a gun while living in Rochester, why not buy a Mossberg 500?? They make a great home defense weapon and you could pick up a used mossberg for around $200.00. And best part is, you don't need a permit.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 21:12   #11
Hef
Stop Obammunism

My condolences.
Old 01-02-2008, 21:47   #12
USMCGLOCKER

no permit required for shotguns? I won't even be a resident. Can a non resident get a shotgun?
Old 01-03-2008, 22:34   #13
da chef
glock convert

buddah, that's a great idea
Old 01-11-2008, 14:37   #14
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

If you:

-got rid of all the non-preban mags
-converted your AR to Ban configuration(fixed stock, no flash hider/no bayo lug) or just sold the upper and put a ban compliant one on
-found a local (NY) FFL that was willing to recieve your firearms and to hold the pistols for you till your handgun permit was issued

You would probably be all set

btw unless you're a leo I wouldn't plan on getting a CCW permit, although this does depend on the county and your reasons for requesting one
Old 01-11-2008, 16:19   #15
FrankRochester

That is absolutely false... I received my CCW in 5 months and so did all my other friends. If you are near NYC forget about CCW. Buffalo and Syracuse are difficult as well. But Rochester is pretty much a shall issue area. I know of no one who has ever been denied.
Old 01-11-2008, 18:50   #16
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

Well I live in Syracuse, I have my CCW but pretty much everyone else gets denied. Also, the surrounding counties are pretty bad now too. I'm glad you live in a free county. G'Luck to the OP with the move.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:39   #17
XD9 4 ME
I <3 Commies!

Send a message via AIM to XD9 4 ME Send a message via Yahoo to XD9 4 ME
I wouldn't hold your breath on getting your guns back in a year... I'd be safe and say 2 to be sure. Figure you wait the 6 months and then have to wait up to 8 months(atleast in my case). It's funny even the state governments don't follow their own laws.. (I believe they have to have an answer back to you within 6 months)

I also haven't heard of anyone have a target only permit in Monroe County. Now other counties... absolutely...

Your damned you won't your guns but you'll be happy that once you have em that you'll be able to carry em!

BTW if you call it Rochester U you'll get picked on like a redheaded step child. Call it the U of R..... Just trying to help out
XD9 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:58   #18
FrankRochester

From what I've been led to believe. In Syracuse, they will give you the "hunting/target shooting" permit. Then, if you have been a good boy for a few years they will give you the concealed carry permit if you re-apply. The funny thing is, in NY there is no law for a hunting/target shooting permit. The judges are illegally placing restrictions on the permits. Someone needs to take them to court.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:02   #19
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

Quote:
From what I've been led to believe. In Syracuse, they will give you the "hunting/target shooting" permit.
Correct

Quote:
Then, if you have been a good boy for a few years they will give you the concealed carry permit if you re-apply.
Absolutely freaking not!

Quote:
The funny thing is, in NY there is no law for a hunting/target shooting permit. The judges are illegally placing restrictions on the permits. Someone needs to take them to court.
Agreed
Old 01-14-2008, 04:58   #20
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

It is advised to request the "Sportsman" permit because unless you are leo it will most likely be denied. It is free and you can apply as many times as you'd like after to have your permit "upgraded" to a different class. Good luck with that though. A friend of mine has applied 3-4 times and been denied every time even though he followed the judges suggestion to the "T" the following time he applied.

This ones gonna cause carpal tunnel but heres Onondaga County's print out word for word when applying for a "Concealed Carry" pistol license, even the words that are capitalized when they shouldn't be are exactly as found on the form.

Quote:
"Proper Cause" for a "Carry Concealed" Pistol License

The New York State Legislature restricts the types of pistol licenses that the court may issue to NYS Pistol License Holders. Under Penal Law Section 400.00 (1):

1: possesion in a dwelling by a householder
2: possesion in a place of business by a merchant or storekeeper
3: have and carry concealed while employed as a messenger of a banking institution
4: have and carry concealed by an employee while on duty in a correctional facility
5: have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possesion, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof.

If your application seeks what is popularly known as a "have and carry concealed" without limitation pistol license, the New York Legislature authorizes the court to approve it only where it meets the "proper cause" standard. Our state's highest court, the Court of Appeals, has ruled that the Legislature has expressed an "obvious regulatory purpose of the statute" in enacting the phrase "proper cause" which would be frustrated if courts did not apply it as it was meant to be applied. (O'Brien vs. Keegan, 87 NY2d436 (1996). Appellate court decisions binding upon the pistol licensing officer define "proper cause" for the issuance of a "have an carry concealed" without limitation pistol license as grounds which demonstrate "a special need for self-protection distiguishable from that of the general community or a persons engaged in the same profession (Matter of Kaplan vs. Braton, 249 AD2d 199 (1st Dept. 1998).

Pistol license applicants should be aware that if you apply for a Pistol License for a particular purpose then it will be limited to that purpose. Also, if you desire a license for self-protection you would be advised to apply for an on-premise license. This is not a carry license and restricts the possension of the handgun to the dwelling or place of business listed in the application. No applicant will be issued an unrestricted carry permit unless he/she is able to demonstrate a special need for the issuance thereof. Self-protection is not a sufficient need for the issuance of a carry concealed license.

A statement of grounds which meet the test of "proper cause", i.e. "a special need for self-protection distiguishable from that of the general community or of persons engaged in the same profession", is necessary in order for the licensing officer to apply the law as enacted by the Legislature and interpreted by the higher Courts. As there is limited space availible on the application form for a statement of "proper cause", an "Optional Statement" form has been provided with this information sheet should you wish to supplement your application beyond this form.

Please understand that a court acting as a licensing officer is duty bound to follow the law. Should you Disagree with the "proper cause" requirement, and feel, as many citizens do, that any law abiding citizen has The right to the issuance of a full carry pistol license without making a "proper cause" showing, then you are Encouraged to contact your state legislature and urge the repeal of the "proper cause" requirements.
Here is page two that you must fill out according to what they ask of you. Keep in mind that the above and below are only for those applying for a CCW "unrestricted" permit.

Quote:
OPTIONAL SUPPLEMENT TO APPLICATION FOR THE ISSUANCE OF A "HAVE AND CARRY CONCEALED" WITHOUT LIMITATION PISTOL LICENSE

1. Please state in detail the "proper cause" for the issuance of a pistol license which authorizes you to carry a concealed pistol on your person twenty-four hours a day without limitation:
Space given for you answer

Quote:
2. Please state why the grounds set forth above constitute "a special need for protection from that of the general community and persons engaged in the same conduct, profession or Business" referred to in section one above:
Space given for you answer

So reading the above word for word makes you wonder how leo could even get their permit if "Self-protection is not a sufficient need for the issuance of a carry concealed license" and "A statement of grounds which meet the test of "proper cause", i.e. "a special need for self-protection distiguishable from that of the general community or of persons engaged in the same profession"". Wouldn't that mean that you would have to show why you need a permit more than other leos since "Self-protection is not a sufficient need for the issuance of a carry concealed license"?

My fingers hurt after typing all that out so I'm done for a bit.