Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2008, 18:24   #26
BlenderWizard
President Evil

4 or 6 ga. bare copper ground wire is what I have used to make "mounts" for baking firearm parts. you can make any shape you need.
BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 18:40   #27
MAX100

eXe Great Job the Glock looks nice just right. You did well on the lettering.

Usually if the results are a glossier finish you are holding the can to close or spraying to heavy with the 1200 degree HH Black.

GC
MAX100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 18:51   #28
Texas_XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
eXe Great Job the Glock looks nice just right. You did well on the lettering.

Usually if the results are a glossier finish you are holding the can to close or spraying to heavy with the 1200 degree HH Black.

GC
Well.. Good news, bad news for mine!

It came out nice, a bit of gloss, more of a fresh oiled look, which is nice to me. Lettering is just fine, everything from the proof stamp to ss # is readily readable.
Now the bad news! Did you know that a firing pin channel liner and 2hrs of 350 degree heat do NOT mix well?? Well, I do now! During re-assembly I had issues getting the firing pin to slip back in, finally realized what the issue was, a 1/2 melted shut liner! I obviously forgot it when I was prepping/breaking it down and trying to help my wife with the baby. Guess it is done and down till I can locate one and get it here, but it is a pretty looking paper weight.
Texas_XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:11   #29
eXe

Yeah that was the one thing I didnt take out.. The channel liner. Mine made it just fine however No melting, I did check.

Sorry to hear the news, Hope you can get it fixed quickly.
eXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:12   #30
MAX100

The grill paint I've used gave a glossier finish. I did a AK barrel with some, it looked good. It was a charcoal black color. As long as you can get the melted plastic out you are OK.

The newer Glocks now, have a more glossier charcoal black finish.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 01-05-2008 at 19:16..
Old 01-05-2008, 19:44   #31
Texas_XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
. As long as you can get the melted plastic out you are OK.

GC

It did more of a collapse on one end, over 1/2 shut. Since I am guessing it helps keep the firing pin tip in line with the FP hole, I should just leave her be till I can get a new one. Hate to ruin a FP over this.

Last edited by Texas_XD; 01-05-2008 at 19:45.. Reason: grammer
Texas_XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 20:49   #32
MAX100

I meant you would be OK until you replace the part. If melted plastic was stuck in the channel you would have a little problem.

GC
Old 01-06-2008, 16:39   #33
xm17sbullpup

I did my G21 today. It came out excellent. As good as the Durabake I used on a SA 1911before. And at less than $6.00 per can at NAPA a lot cheaper. After degreasing, I heated my slide to 150 degrees, then sprayed 3 light coats. After 20 minutes I baked it for 90 minutes at 400 degrees. I'm waiting for a new Heinie Front Night Sight to arrive, before I reassemble it. Thanks for the heads up Max100.

Now do I want to try the Gray Paint sometime?
Gunsmithing
Glock 21 with Heinie Sights/Tritium Front. Grip Reduction. I refinished the bed liner on the grip and refinished the slide with Dupli Color Ceramic High Temp Paint.
Yes I make the holsters in my photos.

Last edited by xm17sbullpup; 01-18-2008 at 06:57.. Reason: Added info
xm17sbullpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 17:06   #34
MAX100

Show us some pictures when you take some.

If anyone is looking for free site to host your pictures so you can copy paste them right in your post go to Photobucket.com it's free.

When you have your pictures downloaded on photobucket click beside (IMG code) below your downloaded picture then click copy on your computer, click paste to paste it directly in your post. It should look something like this when you paste it before you submit it:

[IMG]photobucket..max100..::ghtrf..edtrc..///[IMG]

The picture will come up in your post so others won't have to click a link to get to your picture.

GC
Old 01-06-2008, 17:27   #35
swatemintx

did this to a smith... sand it down and put masking tape on the underside of the slide. =-)
Old 01-07-2008, 09:49   #36
eXe

Being that I had no other guns to re-finish I did an AR15 mag with this stuff.. normally I use the moly spray lube to re-finish them in the correct gray color but this stuff worked amazing. This will come in handy when I buy some older beat up AK Mags as well.. I was using BBQ paint for them.. but this method is much more permanent and looks better.
eXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 14:59   #37
coltc

Just got done doing my Ruger I picked up. It wasn't in the best shape so I decided to give this paint a try. I'm happy with the results. I did the trim pieces in the black and the barrel and frame in the aluminum color. Blasted it all, wiped it down, painted it, baked it on. It had some rust and all on it and you can still see some of the pitting caused by the rust but it came out pretty good. It looks better in person, there is a lot of glare in the pics.

Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing

Last edited by coltc; 01-11-2008 at 15:02..
coltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 16:49   #38
MAX100

Good job! Looks Great! I have never seen what the Aluminum looks like. You won't have to worry about rust anymore. Thanks for the pictures.

I just did a Norinco 870 Shotgun in the black and it looks like it came from the factory that way. I will post pictures of it soon.

xm17sbullpup Your Glock looks like a new gun, Good Job! The bed liner on the grip looks nice also.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 01-11-2008 at 16:57..
Old 01-15-2008, 23:55   #39
Oreo

Here's a tip for you guys...

This paint is probably a decent way to refinish your guns this time, but the paint WILL wear over time & the next time you go to refinish your gun you're going to have to work your arse off to strip all the old paint off before repainting or else it will look like crap.

HOWEVER.... I discovered while using this paint to refinish the brake calipers on my car, that brake fluid will disolve this paint like liquid lightening! And it won't hurt the steel parts of your gun. (Watch out for the plastic bits though!)
Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44   #40
Allman

Oreo,

What kind of brake fluid did you use and was the finish baked on? I just got through trying to remove the finish on the barrel vise I mentioned coating earlier with DOT 3 fluid and it wouldn't phase it. Might as well have been trying to use water.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:18   #41
Ripple

Brake fluid will remove most paints.. better then more paint removers on the market

Another thing to watch out for with this type of finish, stay away from miltech.
Have not tried it with this exact type of spray paint, but did have a issue with Krylon Fusion being melted by miltech.

Allman, did you let it sit on there? Or did you just rub it on? Let it sit overnight and it should come right off, unless its powder coated.
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 13:03   #42
MAX100

Here is a picture of a Norinco 870 shotgun I just refinished with the Dupli-Color 1200 degree HH ceramic paint. It looks like it came for the factory that way. You can't see the receiver very well but the finish you see on the barrel is how the whole gun looks. A rough parkerized look.

Allman Thanks for the brake fluid results. This stuff is tough as nails.

Gunsmithing

GC
Old 01-16-2008, 13:49   #43
Allman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post

Allman, did you let it sit on there? Or did you just rub it on? Let it sit overnight and it should come right off, unless its powder coated.
Did both. I've also tried lacquer thinner which does remove it. Nothing I would normally use in cleaning guns seems to affect it, but I don't have every potential gun cleaner in my shop. I'm interested in knowing if gun scrubber, which I think may be the same as brake cleaner, affects it as I use that occasionally but don't have any on hand.
Old 01-19-2008, 16:13   #44
proraptor

wow....this paint looks like its worth a try....I think I might refinish my mossberg 590A1 with this stuff...Thanks for the awesome post
California Glockers Club member #8
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 15:03   #45
proraptor

Well today I decided to spary my mossberg 590a1 with this stuff....Its in the oven right now and looks very very nice! Hopefully this stuff is as tough as you guys say it is...
Old 01-31-2008, 21:42   #46
TGC100

proraptor Let us know how it turns out. Post Pics if you have them.
TGC100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 00:13   #47
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Just found out gf's oven has been massively overshooting temp settings... just as well I didn't try this yet.

I guess this explains the burnt cookies, though...

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:51   #48
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard View Post
4 or 6 ga. bare copper ground wire is what I have used to make "mounts" for baking firearm parts. you can make any shape you need.
I did the same - went to home depot and got some heavy gauge bare ground wire and used it to make hangers to hang barrels/receivers/etc under my top oven rack for baking. Then I went to Wal Mart and got a little oven thermometer that will sit right on the rack and let me look in the window and keep track of the temperature, which I keep an eye on and regulate by turning the temp control or cracking the door a little.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:47   #49
proraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I did the same - went to home depot and got some heavy gauge bare ground wire and used it to make hangers to hang barrels/receivers/etc under my top oven rack for baking. Then I went to Wal Mart and got a little oven thermometer that will sit right on the rack and let me look in the window and keep track of the temperature, which I keep an eye on and regulate by turning the temp control or cracking the door a little.
You guys are all high end and stuff...I just used clothing hanger to hang my shotgun parts from the top rack....worked great just make sure to degrease the wires or cloathing hangers also.

No pics yet o my shotgun as my camera has been missing for 2 months...sucks...But it was super easy to spray and it came out looking really nice. It seems to be holding up very very well...I might just refinish my ak with this stuff
Old 02-01-2008, 10:21   #50
kenleissler

Wow! This is so cool. I love this type of finish. Does this stuff have any lubricating qualities like gun-kote. If not, would this be a problem on the frame rails of a 1911?
Ken