SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:31   #51
Allman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Just found out gf's oven has been massively overshooting temp settings... just as well I didn't try this yet.

I guess this explains the burnt cookies, though...
If you want to get fancy, Walmart has a digital oven temp gauge with a probe that goes into the oven (or turkey or whatever else might be inside it) for about 15 bucks. Has an alarm timer and makes it easy to regulate the correct temp and time for baking cures.

Most ovens aren't very accurate as far as the real temp and the temp on the dial, and a lot aren't even consistent from one use to another.
Old 02-01-2008, 16:11   #52
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman View Post
If you want to get fancy, Walmart has a digital oven temp gauge with a probe that goes into the oven (or turkey or whatever else might be inside it) for about 15 bucks. Has an alarm timer and makes it easy to regulate the correct temp and time for baking cures.

Most ovens aren't very accurate as far as the real temp and the temp on the dial, and a lot aren't even consistent from one use to another.
I used a dial thermometer. When oven is set for 350, needle pointed to 650+ (not numbered that high.)

And we wondered why the frozen pizzas were so inconsistent....

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 16:26   #53
xm17sbullpup

I used this to refinish my Springfield Loaded 1911. It came out just as nice as my Glock 21. After about 400 draws from my Kydex Holsters, I've gotten a small amount of wear in the usual areas, but it seems to get to a certain point and stop. It's only shown a small amount of wear on the slide rails. Nothing that you won't see with any other finish. I did my 1911 frame in Gray and decided I didn't like it. I let it soak in Brake Fluid overnight and scrubbed it with a brass brush. It took it off but it was some work. I then used Brake Cleaner Spray, which worked much better. I then redid the entire pistol in Black. As with my Glock 21 it came out just as good as the Durabake I used before. For 6bucks a can, and as easy as it is to do, if I have to refinish a firearm every 2 years, I wouldn't have a huge problem with that.
Old 02-05-2008, 21:07   #54
eXe

Yeah I have a working AR7 .22 rifle that I redid with it as well a few days ago.. came out SUPER nice and the cool part was it was cake to break down Baked it a bit too long but it still came out nice and black and it wont scratch like when you just use normal paint (Which was what was on the gun before this stuff)

Looks like its really handy.
eXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 16:39   #55
curriek

Just thought I'd share mine. Quick question, there is a spot where the paint did not flatten (its kind of rough n pourous), do I need to remove all the paint on the whole frame and then reapply and bake? If so, what do I use? Break cleaner works?

Gunsmithing
curriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 23:56   #56
MAX100

If you just have a rough spot in the paint you can use some steel wool on it very lightly and that will smooth it out. You don't have to repaint the whole thing. You can just spray some on a small area and bake it again if you have to do some touch up.

It looks good. It looks like you did an excellent job. Which sliver color did you use.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 03-31-2008 at 00:00..
MAX100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:25   #57
curriek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post

It looks good. It looks like you did an excellent job. Which sliver color did you use.

GC

Thanks, used black and aluminum (were the only colors the store had). Took a lot longer than expected to put it back together again.
curriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 17:57   #58
jr4521

Send a message via Yahoo to jr4521
WASR fresh out the oven

Gunsmithing[/IMG]

Thank you for the help, the Duplicolor worked great!

Florida Glockers Club #4521
G1 Niners Club #63
jr4521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:19   #59
herose

Saw some dupli-color with ceremic something or other added to help heat dispersition. Thought it'd be good to use on my mini 14 barrel seeing as it has a heating problem.

Any thoughts how to bake on if you don't have an oven to use? Thinking about using a heat gun maybe.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:13   #60
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herose View Post
Saw some dupli-color with ceremic something or other added to help heat dispersition. Thought it'd be good to use on my mini 14 barrel seeing as it has a heating problem.

Any thoughts how to bake on if you don't have an oven to use? Thinking about using a heat gun maybe.
You could set up an "oven" of sorts. Use a large metal pipe, or metal-lined box, open at both ends. object goes in, heat gun blows hot air into the box, and be careful to monitor temperature.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:41   #61
herose

Good idea. I think I have exactly what I need in my outbuilding. Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 13:24   #62
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herose View Post
Good idea. I think I have exactly what I need in my outbuilding. Thanks
Let me know what you work out; I'm curious where you go with it.

I was thinking of how long peices of wood can be steamed before bending by putting them in a pipe and running steam through the pipe.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:15   #63
dsmw5142
NRA Member

I tried looking for the Dupli-Color engine paint all over the place and all the auto parts stores are sold out of the black!! Your idea must have gotten out or something...

I picked up some of the BBQ grill paint and think I will try that. It has a 1200 degree rating and pretty much the same contents except the ceramic whatever. Is it equally as good? Anyone know?

Edit: I found the Dupli-Color 1200 degree paint and I am going to try it today. I will let you know and post up some pics when I am done.

Rudy Project USA IDPA squad

Last edited by dsmw5142; 05-06-2008 at 03:37..
dsmw5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 15:30   #64
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

My Browning HP is cooking in the oven as we speak. Wife went out of town for a few days so I didn't have to ask permission. So far it looks mahvelouuuuus!
the paint did not fill in any of the lettering, proofmarks or numbers!!!

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:36   #65
dsmw5142
NRA Member

Well, my shotgun came out looking great. I showed it to several people who asked... when I got the new shotgun LOL. I will post pics when I can and I will let you all know how it holds up after a while. I only wish I had done before/after pics. This gun really looked like crap

Oh yeah, I used a bit of "Old English" (dark) furniture polish/scratch cover on the stock and fore end. It looks almost like a brand new gun

ETA: The smell/smoke from the oven was very mild. Nothing to be concerned about IMO. I just made some hooks from some heavy gauge wire and hung the receiver, barrel etc... from the bottom of the top rack. I attached the hooks prior to painting though, so I didn't have to handle the parts while they were wet.

Rudy Project USA IDPA squad

Last edited by dsmw5142; 05-08-2008 at 22:38..
dsmw5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 21:13   #66
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

My BHP:

Gunsmithing

Looks just like the "ceramic" finish on NightHawk customs

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 16:22   #67
rider

Just out of curiosity, anyone ever try any of that Brownell's Alumahyde II stuff?
Anyone with personal experience with it?
Lee
Old 05-14-2008, 06:35   #68
g300d

wow those guns look brand new! From the pics I wouldn't be able to tell it from a commercial plater.

Now anyone have pics of those guns after some use? Pistols with a lot of draws from the holster? I'd really like to see how they wear.
g300d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 17:03   #69
forjoshhall

Total Rookie but I think for an $85 dollar gun show shotgun it looks good now. I regret not taking any before pics but it had spotty rust on receiver and barrel and the barrel had been cut back to 20" and re-choked. this is it now after painting and baking the VHT Ceramic Header Paint that i got at the auto store. I Like it...let me know what you guys think. Remember, it was my first time.

Last edited by forjoshhall; 02-05-2010 at 18:29..
forjoshhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 21:09   #70
forjoshhall

pics are gone

Last edited by forjoshhall; 02-09-2010 at 11:32..
forjoshhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 20:36   #71
hackinpeat

WARNING: Do not use winchester powder blast spray cleaner on guns using engine paint!!!!

I have a ton of paint experience, and gave this a whirl with my new (used) 10/22... thankfully I only paid $100 for the gun.

I did a great job on the paint, (pat pat on my own back.) But I got the gun in parts, so when I cleaned the barrel out with some winchester break free it wasn't attached to my newly built upper and lower. It INSTANTLY ate though the paint.

I'll get some of the solvent I see other people mention in this thread for use on the 10/22, I just thought I'd share the harsh lesson so others can avoid the pain of waiting for paint to bake for the second time around.

Another caution in case someone is...well frankly dumb...

the paint may be good for 500 degrees, but you shouldn't bake your gun above 150, even that is too high for a proper cure. at 300 degrees most steels of any carbon content will temper and soften...resulting in bad ish happening.
hackinpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 21:40   #72
hackinpeat

After that boo boo I thought I'd share the project (after I fixed it.)

Here's a closeup so you can compare finishes, the mag release was anodized aluminum, the rest I painted...you can tell by the few scratches from assembly.. lol.
Gunsmithing

Yeah, the stock is a bit "different." I'm a different kind of kat. I camo'd it out using a stencil I cut of the ruger logo, using rustoleum paints. The base is Drab, with some black and sand in for good measure.

Gunsmithing
hackinpeat is offline   Reply With Quote