Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:06   #1
kimo

Gun ownership q re California

I may be having to move to CA in the next year and wonder how it will affect my gun ownership.

Do you think I should sell my 9mms with 15 rounds mags and buy a .357 revolver with 8 rnd capacity? Just wondering how they view semi-autos in the state.

What about my 870 with a folding stock?

Hi cap mags OK for my 10/22?

Will I have to register my handguns when I move in?

I will be in San Bernardino county, around the Colton area.... what are the chances of getting a permit in that area?
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:16   #2
magmeister

Sell all of your guns before you move.
Start collecting coins or stamps, as these are Kommifornia approved!
I call dibbbs on the high cap mags!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:18   #3
tog

i wouldn't register crap with anyone
tog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23   #4
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
I may be having to move to CA in the next year and wonder how it will affect my gun ownership.

Do you think I should sell my 9mms with 15 rounds mags and buy a .357 revolver with 8 rnd capacity? Just wondering how they view semi-autos in the state.

I will be in San Bernardino county, around the Colton area.... what are the chances of getting a permit in that area?

Colton and Fontana are notorious gang cities, just so you know. There are good areas but they are limited and expensive. Sheriff Penrod is generally pretty good about issueing CCW, but I don't know what cause you could put on the paperwork. Try, but expect to be shot down, it is CA you know.

No, you do not have to get rid of your guns, just the standard capacity mags, even for the 10/22. If however, any of your pistols have a threaded barrel, or, have capacity to accept magazines any where other than the pistol grip, then it would be considered an AW by feature in CA.

In fact, I would suggest picking up a few 1911 frames and some Keltec P32's and P3AT's before you get there. They go for a premium in
CA because of the safe list. I've seen the Keltcs go for $400 and up.

If you have rifles that meet the AW criteria for CA, you may be able to use them in a limited fashion is they are not specifically named on the ban list. Your shotgun is OK with the folding stock, as long as it doesn't accept magazines.

Go to www.calguns.net for more info. Also here, see what guns you would want before moving to CA and see if they are on the "safe list" or not. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

If you are a LEO, then there are way too many exemptions to mention.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo New Year

Clyde

Last edited by kenpoprofessor; 12-31-2007 at 12:31..
kenpoprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28   #5
HarlDane

Quote:

Just buy 10 round mags for them.

Quote:
No problem, bring it.

Quote:
Nope, you will need to buy 10 rounders.

Quote:
Yes, but not long guns. You will also need to pay a small fee for the handguns (IIRC $15).

Quote:
I believe San Bernardino County is one of the more gun friendly counties and that ccw permits are issued without too much trouble, but I have never lived in that area of the state, someone more local should know.
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:34   #6
Yellowfin

Are there any particular stipulations as for pistols needing to be on the "safe list" to bring them in if you own them, or is that purely for what can be bought and sold? Somehow I doubt my Astra a-75 is on the list. It's not hi cap (only 7 rounds in the mag) but it's comparatively obscure.
Yellowfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:52   #7
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
Are there any particular stipulations as for pistols needing to be on the "safe list" to bring them in if you own them, or is that purely for what can be bought and sold? Somehow I doubt my Astra a-75 is on the list. It's not hi cap (only 7 rounds in the mag) but it's comparatively obscure.

You can bring in anything you have if you become a resident, but going there on vacation won't cut it . The handguns should be registered within 60-90 days IIRC at $19 a pop. That is, unless you sell them before that time. As all firearms transactions must be thru an 01 FFL, it's the same thing as registering them.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo New Year

Clyde
Old 12-31-2007, 14:03   #8
Fred
Lifetime Membership

check out this thread as well:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791328
Thirty Dozen member #11
GSSF Forum member -BladeRunner #11
California Glockers Club member #11, NRA member
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 00:42   #9
magsnubby
NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can find all the info you need here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 14:29   #10
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

You might want to look into what pistols are not on the California approved list. You CAN legally bring them with you and you can sell them. If you make some wise purchases, you can sell them for a nice profit (or not) and make a few new friends here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 23:34   #11
Wulfenite
The King

Read the magazine ban law very carefully before you ditch your high-caps.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php
Particularly this part.

23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully possessed in the state.

Although its never been tested in court, most people read that to suggest any mag you possessed in the state prior to 2000 could be brought back in.

Also, make sure you go ahead and get any handgun you really want that's not on the list before you move.
Old 01-14-2008, 00:03   #12
MOTHERGREEN

to be perfectly honest the only crime as far as high caps go is the actual crossing of the boarder with them. once they are there the burden of proof is on the one trying to perscecute you. to date no one has been convicted of having a high cap magazine in ca.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration. We are all one conscientiousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."
"Make your children gunproof, not your guns childproof."كافر
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MOTHERGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote