Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2008, 20:22   #1
Lethal Farce

WAHOOO Indoor range in Greenville

Saw the sign up today on Poinsett Hwy. Sent him an email and reply said "shooting to open in March". Been a long time w/o an indoor range. Had met the guys in Dec at the gunshow, seemed to be decent guys. Kinda pricy, but that is to be expected w/ start up costs. Only downside so far is I think they will require you to buy their ammo to shoot there, although he did say he would be competitive pricewise.

FYI
http://allenarms.net/
1210 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville, SC 29609
864-250-2007
Lethal Farce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 20:25   #2
LZHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Farce View Post
Only downside so far is I think they will require you to buy their ammo to shoot there, although he did say he would be competitive pricewise.
LZHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:36   #3
Creek

That is great news! I had heard rumblings for a while but hadn't seen the website address and an opening timeframe. Hopefully they will be reasonable about using ammo not purchased there (I have lots of practice ammo already). It will be great to be able to shoot without having to truck over to the Pickens range!

I assume they will be a Glock dealer (and hopefully they will have lots of assorted guns for rental fun)?
Old 01-10-2008, 20:30   #4
DavidD

No range brass is to be thrown away or taken from the range.
Well that stinks!
Old 01-11-2008, 18:08   #5
FLM

I brought up the ammo question over at Carolinashooter's forum and here is what the owner said. Think I struck a nerve.

GENERAL RANGE RULES
Without prior arrangements all ammunition to be used at the range must be purchased at the range. Reloaded range ammunition can not be taken out of the range, or otherwise discarded. We will not charge for unopened unused ammunition.
No expended brass is to be thrown away or taken from the range."

Yup, that's what we said. If you read it thoroughly, though, does-
"Without prior arrangements"
ring a bell? We will have to control what is fired on the range for a number of reasons:
- to limit lead exposure- we are INDOORS, folks
- for safety of range and shooters- no AP, tracers, etc.
- to REDUCE the cost of reloads, not drive them up; having been a reloader myself, I've seen how a couple of brass hounds can strip a range of empty brass. If arrangements are made for you to shoot your own loads, you will still own your brass- the comments were for OUR brass, because without it we will have to pay for new brass and charge more for ammo. Our reloads will be competitive with WallyMart - no rip off there.
- last, but definitely not least, to make some money. We are in business for that reason, not as a charity. We are investing a LOT of time and money in this, and we have to pay it back. Banks are funny that way. Anyone who wants to drop a few grand investment and help us pay for the place can pretty well shoot for free. Other than that, we have to make some money.

Machiavelli
FLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03   #6
Creek

Yeah, I'd say it sounds like you struck a nerve. The dialogue doesn't exactly sound like the model of customer service! I wonder if they'll even carry 10mm ammo.
Old 01-17-2008, 19:44   #7
G23/40
GOING HOT!!

Frank is a good guy.
I hope he does well there.
But on the question of ammo...Coastal Sports in Murrells Inlet said the only ammo they can use is that Fragable(?) ammo? Something about it being law now. At $20 a box I won't be doing much shooting there when I'm on vacation next time.
G23/40
Carolina Glocker#23
Black Rifle Club#2340
G23/40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 19:47   #8
FLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23/40 View Post
Frank is a good guy.
I hope he does well there.
But on the question of ammo...Coastal Sports in Murrells Inlet said the only ammo they can use is that Fragable(?) ammo? Something about it being law now. At $20 a box I won't be doing much shooting there when I'm on vacation next time.
G23/40
I shoot at Dewey's and Rex's and neither has ever shown any interest in what ammo I shoot.

Machiavelli
Old 01-17-2008, 20:16   #9
DavidD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLM View Post
I shoot at Dewey's and Rex's and neither has ever shown any interest in what ammo I shoot.
Dewey's is rather expensive isnt it? Wheres Rex's?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:25   #10
FLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
Dewey's is rather expensive isnt it? Wheres Rex's?
Dewey's is $10 a session after you pay a one time membership fee of $100. Rex's is in E. Flat Rock, NC which is about 45 miles from Greenville on the way to Asheville.

Machiavelli
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56   #11
aplombardo

I give them less than 2 years in business with those rules.

I guess they won't sell reloading components, huh?

I am a previous employee at numerous, successful indoor shooting ranges none of which prohibited bringing in your own ammo.

FYI,, its a bad location also having lived in Greenville in the past. The LAST indoor range that closed was in that area also.

I wish them well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Best Armor is to keep out of Range"
aplombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18   #12
Lethal Farce

Sorry Aplombardo, I disagree. It is not a bad location, that side of town w/ the new Cherrydale marketplace has been improving steadily. The only reason the other range closed was the deaths of the business owners. The story is lung diseases on both and the owner of the building would not re-rent to a range because of that. It has to be a tough business to make money, and selling ammo helps the profit margin. If the ammo is competitively priced, and acceptable quality, no big deal for me. Either way, when I shoot, I have an ammo cost involved. They seem like decent guys, I saw them at the gunshow again this weekend. My impression is they will work w/ members.
LF
Old 02-11-2008, 09:05   #13
aplombardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Farce View Post
Sorry Aplombardo, I disagree. It is not a bad location, that side of town w/ the new Cherrydale marketplace has been improving steadily. The only reason the other range closed was the deaths of the business owners. The story is lung diseases on both and the owner of the building would not re-rent to a range because of that. It has to be a tough business to make money, and selling ammo helps the profit margin. If the ammo is competitively priced, and acceptable quality, no big deal for me. Either way, when I shoot, I have an ammo cost involved. They seem like decent guys, I saw them at the gunshow again this weekend. My impression is they will work w/ members.
LF
OK, lets start with the location.

That location offers nothing to two, major market segments-Anderson and Spartanburg. In fact, its not a convenient location if you live in Greenville.
As someone who has lived in Greenville in the past, I took advantage of GGC for most of my shooting and a nicer club can't be found and a great location right off the interstate.

The people who spend money in indoor ranges are generally new shooters who are looking to try various guns, ammo, get instruction or advice or convenience shooters-people who have a busy schedule and sneak and hour to pop a few caps. Shooters Choice in Columbia is successful for this reason. It is close to down town, close to major interstate, lets you shoot whatever you want, and basically serves as a draw for their huge showroom with hundreds of guns. IF they want to see how to make money in the business, just drive down to Columbia and get a look at how its done. They have been in business for 20 years with several owners and the current owners have a good formula.

IF I had a budget to build an indoor range in Greenville I would look for a location off 85 or 385, in a high traffic area. I would let people bring in their own ammo. I would even encourage this by selling reloading supplies and components. I would offer gun rentals, instruction and a full time GUNSMITH.
Greenville is desperate for another gunsmith. I would have a woman on staff as many of the new customers will be female.

At any rate, I wish the owners success, but if they will not allow outside ammo, they will fail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:13   #14
Lethal Farce

Hey Aplombardo, All very good (if not great) points. I stand corrected. I have missed an indoor range for the convenience /comfort. GGC is great, but with crowds, fixed targets and weather, it can be sometime hit or miss. I wish the new guys luck.
LF
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45   #15
FLM

The location is OK with me. I talked to Frank at the gun show this weekend also and I don't think the ammo issue is going to be a problem.

Machiavelli
Old 05-23-2008, 09:52   #16
VB14

They're now open

They've opened a week or so ago. I suggest you give them a visit if you haven't done so already. The people are really nice and friendly and the place is great. At least for me, buying ammo there is not an issue. Theirs is cheaper than walmart.
VB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:33   #17
Rusty Phillips

a friend from work & I shot out there friday two weeks ago

they had just opened up couple days prior - the only ammo they had is american (or was it atlanta?) ammo (blue box white letters) reloads
we bough a box of 40 and a box of 9..... I think the 40 was $12 per 50, and the 9mm was $9 per 50

we were shooting Kahrs - his CW40 did not like the reloads at all - in any 6 shot mag - only half would feed / fire without some manipulation, my K9 only had issues with one of the 50 in my box....

we brought the manager out there and let him run remainder of rounds thru my buddies CW...... he gave my CW40 toting friend a voucher for a free range time on his next visit..... I asked him to also stock win white box or rem yellow box or some other type of factory new ammo for those who cant / wont shoot reloads

not sure if/when they had different ammo coming in.

they will allow bring your own ammo - I think it was an extra $5 charge to do so, and they want to inspect / mark your headstamps so they know you are taking home your own brass and not stealing theirs

overall it was a pleasant experience, I'll definitely go back, I think/hope with time they will loosen up on the range ammo only / take home brass thing

one other comment was they only have something like 4 bays on the 25 yard side and 6 bays on the 15 yard side...... we were shooting on the 25 yard side & somebody had a AR15 in there...... plugs + muffs might have been a good idea

Last edited by Rusty Phillips; 05-31-2008 at 21:00..
Rusty Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 17:55   #18
HighlanderSC

I've been twice and had a good experience both times. Males and Female staff, friendly and ready to assist. I haven't joined yet and pay the $10 fee each time. There's no time limit on the lane, unless folks are waiting, then the time limit, I think, is one hour. I'll probably join (eliminating the range fee) but want to try them out a few times.
Got my new G30SF several weeks ago and shot 100 rounds each visit. Wish I performed as well as the Glock. $14.95 per box of 50 rounds, .45 ACP. Seems reasonable and I have no need for "their" brass. Shot the first time on the "rifle range" side at 21 yards; second time on the 15 yard side. Pick your distance at or inside the max.
Location is fine with me. It is pretty near the new Cherrydale area and only a short drive from downtown. Right across the street from the original Dukes sandwich shop. No, it isn't on the I-85 or I-385 corridor. Those are high traffic areas and could be an even better location, but I'm personally pleased that it is where it is.....less traffic to fight. I live on the east side of Greenville (10 minutes from the interstate) and can get there in less than 20 minutes, about the same time as if it were in the Woodruff Road area, but without having to get on the interstate highway.
I don't have the experience with indoor or outdoor ranges that you all do, so I have nothing to compare. The last time I actively fired weapons, Uncle Sam bought the weapon and ammo, and provided transportation to the various ranges (infantry), both day and night.
I just visited the Greenville Gun Club website and there is a freeze on new memberships at this time. I've heard really good things about it and had planned to join a couple of months ago. Hopefully there's room for both ranges in Greenville.
BTW, the indoor range, Allen Arms, has already had several classes and plans more (CWP and Intro course, according to their web page). Also, they have rentals.
I hope to use their facilities in the future and wish the best of luck to Frank.
If I type any more, it will be more than I know........
Old 06-01-2008, 15:26   #19
LUNG-G19
MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Rex's Shooting range in hendersonville, nc. Been going there for yrs. Bring your own ammo or buy it there. New and reloads.

The wife and I can shoot there for less than 20 bucks.

Not far off I26. 35min drive from boiling springs area.

Rexs Indoor Range
77 Upward Rd
East Flat Rock, NC 28726
828-696-9838
Old 06-27-2008, 21:35   #20
aplombardo

I stopped by Allen Arms while in Greenville on business to "check it out".

The showroom is nice and the range is well done and was nice and clean.

There was one shooter on the range and about 8 people working there.

I wish them luck.