SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2008, 16:54   #1
BP44

Send a message via AIM to BP44 Send a message via Yahoo to BP44
I am going to MEXICO

Howdy fellas, I have decided thak this april I am going to go for a little ride to the mexican border and back. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for me because this is going to be my first long "over 200 mile" trip. also is their anything I should stop along the way to look at or a road that you suggest I take ect. Thanks for any info
BP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 17:38   #2
ndbullet500
Unmutual

The big one for long trips - Make sure you switch back from Reserve, if your bike has an old school petcock! Use Gold Bond to keep "the boys" happy. A pair of bicycling shorts under your pants will keep you from getting monkey butt. A throttle rocker will allow you to flex your right hand if you don't have cruise. Carmex keeps your lips from getting chapped and painful. Sunscreen will run into your eyes with sweat and BURN!! The sun will burn your nose if you don't have UV protection on your visor. Truck tires smell like burning rubber a few moments before the tread comes off.

It's also a lot more fun if you stop and stretch, have a look at the view, and have a drink to keep dehydration at bay.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 01-09-2008, 20:35   #3
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

A couple things I do when I ride for a few days.

Pack "throw away" underwear and t shirts, it saves on packing and doing laundry.

Stop and have water often!!

MAke sure you have cloths for all weather. and dress in layers. It's easier to take a layer off to cool off than it is to "hope" you warm up when the sun comes up

Have raingear, oh did I mention to have raingear?

Take some time to enjoy the ride. I've done 1200 mile days and I've done 100 mile days. A buddy and I went from Mass to Cali and back during the summer before my freshman year of college (22 years ago) and the best days riding were the days that we had no place to be, we stayed off the highways and met the locals, talked to strangers at gas stations and diners.

make sure that your bike can handle the ride- tires and brakes are in good shape, fluid changes. I don't know what you ride, but I carry spare plugs, a patch kit, and tools that I can repair minor problems on the road

BRING a camera. not just your camera phone, a real camera

Set up a UPS or Fed-ex account. send things home that you aren't going to use for the remainder of your ride, or if you buy souvenirs

I don't know what your time period is, or your sleeping plans are, if you're going to sleeping bag/tent/camp. I suggest a cheap hotel room every 4 or 5 nights. Even a crappy bed is better than a sleeping bag
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 23:12   #4
BP44

Thanks for the help guys I thought I had it all planed out but I guess I missed a few things
Old 01-10-2008, 07:36   #5
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

If you plan on crossing south of the border: Make your bike look like junk or you might find yourself walking back to the border. Heading south of the border is not safe (at all) and is discouraged by the US state department...with good reason.

If you are heading here to San Diego, let me know. I live down here (and ride a lot) and there is a lot to do and see on our side of the line.

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:29   #6
Rikki
Pathetic Loser

+1 on what tehan2 said:throw away clothes
Spare keys- a couple sets of spare keys.
Passport- don't forget that baby!
Maybe consider stashing most of your gear on the US side and carrying light when you excursion into "Ole Meheko".
I think it sounds like a boatload of fun!
Old 01-10-2008, 14:58   #7
BP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
If you plan on crossing south of the border: Make your bike look like junk or you might find yourself walking back to the border. Heading south of the border is not safe (at all) and is discouraged by the US state department...with good reason.

If you are heading here to San Diego, let me know. I live down here (and ride a lot) and there is a lot to do and see on our side of the line.

Thanks for the info, very good info about junkin up the the bike and throw away chones "I do that anyway in my current job" I figured I would run around mexico just for the daylight hours for a day and bounce back to the the good old USA by sunset. that would be really cool if I could meet up with some of you guys on the way down or back and you could show me some of the fine ridein in your area. I should warn you guys though I am a NEWB "6000 miles no crashes or dings..............yet" when it comes to scootin and I really want to learn more. my biggest problem is my job, I LOVE it but it gives me NO time to ride, wich in turn spells no time to learn. then on top of that I live in a place that has had snow on the ground since november and we just got another foot last night I just want to be able to ride, so I am setting this in stone and no matter what happens I am doing this for myself. thank you guys for helping me on my way
Old 01-10-2008, 15:01   #8
BP44

Spare keys-- good one

RIKKI, great advice I am going down to the local dealer to get some copies made and keep in my gear, wallet, and helmet
Old 01-13-2008, 20:17   #9
DriBak
GUNS UP

If you cross border make sure you have "proof of ownership" had a buddy lose his ride in Mexico because he did not have "proof of ownership" also lost his camera and about 300 bucks in cash because he did not have "proof of ownership" of those items also
Old 01-14-2008, 07:50   #10
Rikki
Pathetic Loser

Say...what kind of bike are you ridng down there?
I still say it sounds like a boatload of fun and a GREAT adventure..
I think I'm jealous!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 00:37   #11
BP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Say...what kind of bike are you ridng down there?
I still say it sounds like a boatload of fun and a GREAT adventure..
I think I'm jealous!!!!
'07 suzuki sv650s, a red one

yeah it wont be the most comfy ride but it sure will be fun
Old 01-16-2008, 20:13   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

If you were to want to stop by the LA area on the way to Mexico or back from South of the Border and want to cruise the Malibu canyons, we can make it happen. Just let me know.
Old 01-20-2008, 23:54   #13
BP44

hell yeah, that sounds great I will get ahold of you before I take off.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:53   #14
Ol' Dirty

Pack your clean clothes in zip lock bags. It makes packing easier and it's nice to have spare dry stuff if you get caught in the rain.

Have a good trip.
Ol' Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 22:12   #15
javelinadave
Hebrew Hammer

Leave your guns and ammo at home. One year in a Mexican Prison for every round they find on you.
javelinadave is offline   Reply With Quote