GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:00   #1
deadday

And I thought soldiers looked like crap in BDUs and brown boots..

Then I saw a couple Airmen in BDUs with the baby-puke green ABU boots....What in the hell is going wrong in their head, telling them it looks ok? Are they seriously that lay that they can't spend 5 minutes polishing boots (that was the general excuse in the Army)?

drew
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:40   #2
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

On my Air National Guard base, there are some that did this earlier in the year. At my base, people deploying were issued ABU's (with the green boots). The base commander forbade anyone deploying from wearing their deployed uniforms until the day the left. Some wore their green boots with BDU's to break them in (that's what they said, anyway). And yes, it does look like crap.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:09   #3
deadday

Yeah breaking them in was the excuse, but everyone knew it was because they were to damned lazy to polish their black boots..

drew
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:19   #4
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

Yeah, most couldn't be bothered with boot shining (or ironing). I shined mine anyway. I'd rather just shine my boots than walk around looking like a turd all day.
Old 07-02-2008, 13:00   #5
najaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam White View Post
On my Air National Guard base, there are some that did this earlier in the year. At my base, people deploying were issued ABU's (with the green boots). The base commander forbade anyone deploying from wearing their deployed uniforms until the day the left. Some wore their green boots with BDU's to break them in (that's what they said, anyway). And yes, it does look like crap.
I would've worn them to push the issue, as the commander does not have that authority.
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 14:13   #6
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaboy View Post
I would've worn them to push the issue, as the commander does not have that authority.
Commander has every authority to designate work uniforms...

drew
Old 07-02-2008, 14:35   #7
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Those new uniforms are pretty ugly!!
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 14:47   #8
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
Those new uniforms are pretty ugly!!
They completely bastardized the old SF tiger-stripe pattern.....They should be ashamed of themselves for that...

drew
Old 07-03-2008, 05:51   #9
najaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
Commander has every authority to designate work uniforms...

drew
They are prohibited from directing/restricting wear of one utility uniform over the other.

In other words, if the uniform of the day for you would be BDUs, they cannot restrict you from wearing ABUs. Likewise, they cannot mandate that you wear ABUs before the 2011 mandatory wear date.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:37   #10
Biscuitsjam

Quote:
They are prohibited from directing/restricting wear of one utility uniform over the other.

In other words, if the uniform of the day for you would be BDUs, they cannot restrict you from wearing ABUs. Likewise, they cannot mandate that you wear ABUs before the 2011 mandatory wear date.
Yeah, but if you press the issue, will you really "win?"
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 13:34   #11
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

It's a small world on my base, and I plan on sticking around for at least the next 14 years.
Old 07-03-2008, 14:33   #12
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
Quote:
Then I saw a couple Airmen in BDUs with the baby-puke green ABU boots....What in the hell is going wrong in their head, telling them it looks ok? Are they seriously that lay that they can't spend 5 minutes polishing boots (that was the general excuse in the Army)?

drew
I am so glad that we don't have to polish boots in the Army any more. The new boots are so much better since they are made by Danner, Welco, etc. I always thought that shining boots (except jump boots) was a waste of time. You get some guy to spit shine his boots up and next thing you knw he did not want to get them dirty.

The USAF green boots are pretty ugly though. Sorry to my blue suit brothers

--attributed to two people: Barack Obama and George Armstrong Custer.
bennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 15:10   #13
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

Quote:
They completely bastardized the old SF tiger-stripe pattern.....They should be ashamed of themselves for that...

drew
The problem is that the uniform board doesn't listen to us. Now they're talking about letting certain AFSCs wear the black leather boots while on duty since we can't get oil off of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000, LMT MRP CQB, Ruger 10/22
crazypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:46   #14
najaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
Yeah, but if you press the issue, will you really "win?"
I've done it multilple times before, and my career hasn't faltered. At one point, I even had a pissed off CMsgt tell me that if I tried to reenlist, he'd make sure it didn't happen- yet here I stand today, eight years and two reenlistments later with nothing less than 5 EPRs.

The thing is to be certain that they are clearly in the wrong. In this case, they CC has initiated a uniform policy that is in direct contradiction of that issued by HHQ.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23   #15
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Our just outgoing commander tried that, right after they were approved all the back office types showed up in green boots (not like they ever get them dirty to begin with).

He said "Not approved for Security Forces wear". Then "The Word" came down and he had to reverse the decision. Since most of us have embraced the gayness and gone over to the ABU not a big deal, you still see about 50/50 black boots and green with BDUs.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:54   #16
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennwj View Post
I am so glad that we don't have to polish boots in the Army any more. The new boots are so much better since they are made by Danner, Welco, etc. I always thought that shining boots (except jump boots) was a waste of time. You get some guy to spit shine his boots up and next thing you knw he did not want to get them dirty.

The USAF green boots are pretty ugly though. Sorry to my blue suit brothers
You never had the pleasure of a Korea did ya Top? Razor creases and mirror shines for inspections that were at least 3 times a week...We spent about 50% of our time in the motor pool getting ready for the field, and the other 50% in the field, and they expected crease and polish...Bunch of pogues hiding out from deployment trying to relive the golden days I guess...Come to think of it, I did get *****ed out by a CSM for not having my boots bloused while in theatre...I was wearing a CVC suit.....

I do agree that the brown boots seem to be better made, but that may just be the materials, my black boots were made by Danner, and my issue brown boots are as well, though in theatre I wore Converse until I lost em (funny story there...you ever been told not to dangle your legs from the door of the helo? Listen...)...

drew

drew
Old 07-05-2008, 12:56   #17
deadday

Quote:
I've done it multilple times before, and my career hasn't faltered. At one point, I even had a pissed off CMsgt tell me that if I tried to reenlist, he'd make sure it didn't happen- yet here I stand today, eight years and two reenlistments later with nothing less than 5 EPRs.

The thing is to be certain that they are clearly in the wrong. In this case, they CC has initiated a uniform policy that is in direct contradiction of that issued by HHQ.

Must be nice to be in that position...See, us Scouts are already the bastard children of the Army...Noone likes the Cav, but everyone wants them in front...We just go with the flow because it makes life easier for us...

drew
Old 07-05-2008, 17:04   #18
najaboy

Quote:
Must be nice to be in that position...See, us Scouts are already the bastard children of the Army...Noone likes the Cav, but everyone wants them in front...We just go with the flow because it makes life easier for us...

drew
Trust me, we're in the same position. CSAR maintainers aren't necessarily held in high regards, despite how much we're actually needed. That leads to some interesting situations with higher ups trying to have their way. Two things that invariably get them to come back from their Burger King mentality are mention of the IG or a Congressional.