SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:20   #21
Herknav

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
You want people to look supersharp and "professional" have the office commandos wear blues to work.
Amen, brother.
Herknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36   #22
405dave

I came in the AF in '86 when the green's were still issued. I was around when the BDU's were first issued and guess what we were told? These things are great, no more ironing or starch! That lasted about a year then you became mr. dirtbag if you did not press and starch. History will ALWAYS repeat itself. I did my 20 and retired Jan. 1 '07 and can proudly say "I never wore that Faggy PT uniform!" LOL
Old 02-29-2008, 09:39   #23
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

We have a captain (former SSgt) who is on his third uniform change. Ditto my current squadron commander (Lt Col, former MSgt) who came in with greens, went through BDUs, chocolate-chip "Desert BDUs", DCUs, and now ABUs. And they're still in (Squadron commander's got another year or so left in service before he hits the 35 year mark).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 15:07   #24
LilCop2002

Send a message via AIM to LilCop2002 Send a message via Yahoo to LilCop2002
You guys are all pretty spot on with your assessments. I am Security Forces at a small ANG Base. You'd be amazed at what kind of craziness goes on here. I'm one of the few that DID the spit polish routine daily (have gone to the sage green boots) and I have my uniforms dry cleaned. However, our mission doesn't really require that we do all the usual ABD type of stuff. The AGRs know what we need to do and get it done, but the traditional side troops are the ones that usually do all that stuff. However, when Im at work, I'm still 100% sound in my officer safety and tactics. If I need to drop, I'm hitting the dirt and getting lower than the jackass next to me. :-)

When I do have to do something in the field, I've got range boots and range uniforms. As a CATM instructor, you'll never see me in a dirty/wrinkled uniform, but after class is over and we're going on the line, you will see me in some of the most busted ass boots ever.

As it stands, I don't UNDERSTAND the mentality that is bred into the newer troops by the SNCOs of the units. That's what makes this careerfield such a pain in the ass. Hate, jealousy, and the covering of ones own ass has replaced loyalty, integrity, and knowledgeable people. Once my enlistment is up, I might just terminate my AGR status and crosstrain...

Mr Murph, It sounds like you're in Al Udeid, Qatar.

Last edited by LilCop2002; 03-06-2008 at 15:10..
LilCop2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 18:39   #25
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

So far, the only people I see wearing ABU's on our ANG base are people deploying or Chiefs out from the state Guard headquarters. They don't seem that bad, and most on my base don't get carried away with the starching/polishing routine anyway.

I'll have an opinion when we get ABU's this fall. I'll still have my DCU's when they come.

I'm not SF but still have days at my job where you can have a completely jacked up uniform within 10 minutes after reporting in the morning. Not wanting to scuff your boots or get dirty can still make you ineffective at my job. If I see a guy in a jacked up uniform I know he's been working.

My beef is with the PT gear. My PT shirts started to come apart after running a few miles, and the shorts are able to cause discomfort while still appearing enormous. Whoever sold the Air Force my PT shirts definitely got the best of big blue.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 22:40   #26
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Well, just spent six months wearing PT gear every day. The shirts actually hold up well. The jacket's not bad, the wind pants, eh, i can live with. Whoever designed the shorts should be castrated.

Best way to be comfortable in them is to cut the liner out, and wear a pair of bike shorts underneath.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 03-07-2008, 19:05   #27
meeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Whoever designed the shorts should be castrated.
Probably one of the many Ken doll GQ types. Look under any CC's desk and you will find them!
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:33   #28
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Hey! Pickle suits weren't all that bad unless you slid across one of those crappy cloth K car seats and electroucted yourself touching the metal car parts.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Working overtime to pay for Obamacare
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 16:59   #29
meeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Hey! Pickle suits weren't all that bad unless you slid across one of those crappy cloth K car seats and electroucted yourself touching the metal car parts.
I loved those k cars along with those PLY Grand fury's we had!!! Not really but what do you do when your in a "pickle" LOL
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 17:04   #30
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko View Post
I loved those k cars along with those PLY Grand fury's we had!!! Not really but what do you do when your in a "pickle" LOL
The only AF vehicles I drove in was a flight line bread truck or a jammer.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 17:21   #31
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Well, after 2 days of wear..

They're extremely comfortable. Since I was in the classroom and not armed up, the ankle pockets held pens and a Surefire well. I have no use for the forearm pen pocket. And I still think the pattern looks gay, but.... i can live with it.

It does blend in with ACU gear very well, i have an ACU RAID pack that looks like they were made for each other. And downrange I have seen guys in ACU IBAs with ABUs on that you could barely tell apart.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:46   #32
xxKylexx
No Skills

I just got out of the AF (AFSOC Spectre Gunships) and forunately I never had to buy the ABU's, but my wife is still enlisted. She's contemplating on buying a new set. I must say that I am astonished at the cost of those suckers! I hope she gets a huge clothing allowence to cover it!

Now, we bought a cheap sewing machine back when we were A1C's and sewed on every patch ourselves to save on $$, except for those damn maintenance badges; what a *****. Still though, the uniform itself plus patches and hat has to come out to $100 per uniform, plus $100 for boots! WTF was wrong with BDU's??
xxKylexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:14   #33
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

We look "too much like the Army" despite the fact that as of this month the BDU is no longer authorized in the Army. Or, as some have joked "someone needed an OPR bullet".

I've got 4 pairs of desert boots and I am NOT buying the babycrap green boots.
Old 03-09-2008, 14:46   #34
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

"I've got 4 pairs of desert boots and I am NOT buying the babycrap green boots."

I'm going to put off wearing the green boots as long as I can.
Old 03-09-2008, 17:08   #35
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Feel for those folks who have to wear both uniforms based upon their jobs (combat WX, TACP, STS, etc.), Army and AF sets.

Sheesh. I'm all for comfort and improving but I'm still at a loss why everyone needs a different pattern than the other service.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Working overtime to pay for Obamacare
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 16:52   #36
Codename46

Still wearing BDUs here, but then again AFROTC detachments are at the bottom of the food chain.

Whats with the vehement hate of people who press their ABUs? Am I missing something here?
Codename46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 23:55   #37
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Yeah...... they're WASH AND WEAR.

Stick it in the washer. Stick it in the dryer. Put it on. That's it. They already look fine as is.

Some idiot pressing his will get the whole dress-uniform-standards-for-a-"battle" uniform thing going again and we end up with the starched-and-ironed BDU stupidity once more.
Old 03-13-2008, 17:59   #38
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

Yup. The BDU wasn't originally supposed to be starched and creased, but some people started doing it anyway. So far I haven't seen anyone try to iron/starch/crease their ABU's (ACU's either, the Army has the same problem). Most do NOT want to starch and crease a uniform that was never intended to be treated that way. MrMurphy, aren't there also instructions on how to wash the ABUs?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58   #39
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Wash it using a detergent with no optical brighteners (it'll fade faster).
Absolutely no starch, this applies to ACUs as well. You can starch it. Once. After that..... the uniform material will start degrading rapidly. That's what I've been told.

I just washed one of my two sets the first time, have to pull it out of the dryer actually. Should be ready to go as is.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:33   #40
Lazlo
Spectator

I think disgust is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about the ABUs. I hate the pattern and colors, and don't even get me started on the boots. I think the only uniform change I disliked this much was when they had us putting the aircrew style name tags on the BDUs (remember that one?). I'll be retiring about 10 months prior to the mandatory wear date and I plan on stocking up on BDUs while I can so I can hopefully resist assimilation until then. They've been hard to get a hold of on my ANG base anyway (probably because we are AETC, just above AFROTC on the food chain ) unless you're going on an AEF rotation or similar deployment, and mostly only the Chiefs and First Sergeants have had them issued to them. Everybody else has been falling over themselves to be the first ones to get what little else is available. They seem to think it's some kind of status thing since they're such a rarity.
Lazlo is offline   Reply With Quote