SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:49   #41
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I'm still at a loss as to why you need a camo pattern if you are spending your time tied to a desk or turning wrenches on birds on a flat piece of gray concrete.

But then again, I never did think the right way, hence my exit stage right after 10 years.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Working overtime to pay for Obamacare
Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:50   #42
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Well, i dislike the pattern, though having seen them in the field, they do better at night than DCUs (not as bright) though, having been on a night shoot last night, not quite as well as BDUs, though BDUs tend to do the big black blob look from farther away.

I don't have to wear the boots, since I have desert boots.
I dislike the weight, but I actually like the ankle pockets. Wish we had shoulder pockets, since I actually DO wear body armor every single day just about.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16   #43
Lazlo
Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
I dislike the weight, but I actually like the ankle pockets.
I think that is probably the number one complaint I hear from people who are actually wearing them now. Be interesting to see what they say come July and August. Another thing I hear from a few people is that the material the t-shirts are made of that come with ABU seem to retain traces of body odor, sometimes even after thorough washing. The folks I've heard say this aren't pigs either (I could actually describe on of them as a GQ type, very fastidious even to the point of possibly calling him a metro). Anyone here finding this to be true?
Lazlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 14:34   #44
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam White View Post
"I've got 4 pairs of desert boots and I am NOT buying the babycrap green boots."

I'm going to put off wearing the green boots as long as I can.
I'm going to be in Keesler for a tech school this spring/summer so I'm going to look at a set of the ABU's. I picked up a set of desert boots from supply today.

Right now we would have to pay for the green boots out of pocket if we wanted a set...brown will work fine for now.
Highspeedlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 16:17   #45
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I wasn't issued ABUs so I didn't get the "issued" Underarmor wannabe shirt, but I know some guys who were downrange with me who did get them, and yeah, they tend to stink up a little from sweat.

Most of the guys who had ABUs issued also got DCUs issued, and when we arrived it was 130F outside, they wore DCUs. Later in the deployment when the temps dropped to Holy Crap We're Freezing, they wore the ABUs. Some didn't get both and *****ed about the heat till it got cold. Thickness-wise, it's like wearing winterweights all the time.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 03-15-2008, 23:08   #46
xxKylexx
No Skills

fugly green boots

I heard that when the ABU is mandatory, then the desert boots will no longer be authorized to wear. What's the truth in this?
xxKylexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:47   #47
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

You've got another 2-3 years (maybe) before the BSG (Baby &)(*! Green) boots are supposed to be the only boot. But they've been having problems with them fading, leaking color onto people's feet, and plain leaking, the BSG boots may go away and we end up with desert? This would make sense, which is why the AF probably won't do it.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30   #48
DefenderC5

The ABU is perfectly suited for the office environment, and it's certainly nice to be only wash and wear. I do like it while in garrison.

However the ABU is complete garbage in the deployed environment IMO:

1) Heavier/thicker than a winterweight BDU
2) Traps heat, does not breath! With full kit, the ABU has me sweating before I have even got to my vehicle. (It has only hit triple digit temps twice here so far, can't wait for 130+ degrees)
3) Leg pockets pretty much useless for me (I keep a casualty card in one, that's about it)
4) Pen pocket on the arm is on the wrong side (needs to be outside like the ACU). It always catches on my IBA when I put it on/take it off and breaks my pens in half. I have to remove my pens before donning/doffing on my IBA.
5) Silly green boots (desert boots are still authorized until 2011)
6) Interior "map pockets" are useless. Can't get to them with kit on (or off for that matter), and they add about 4+ layers of extra fabric on the entire front of the blouse.
7) Not fire retardant!
8) Fashion collar? Why?
9) Functionless tiger stripe pattern

I still wear my tanker ACU for missions. MUCH lighter, functional pockets, and fire resistant. With the ABU on in full kit, I sweat all over. With the ACU, I am only warm/damp just under my IBA.

Essentially, the ABU is just a BDU with a different pattern, two leg pockets and a pen pocket. The resistance the AF has from being "too much like the army" has really restricted us from taking some of the good points the ACU had and creating an acceptable uniform.

This attitude hurts the airmen who don't fight from behind a desk via email.

Oh, and first post
DefenderC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:48   #49
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Yeah we had some who had ABUs with us. I use the leg pockets for pens and a Surefire sometime. The new ABUs have no map pocket too.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52   #50
meeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderC5 View Post
The ABU is perfectly suited for the office environment, and it's certainly nice to be only wash and wear. I do like it while in garrison.
The resistance the AF has from being "too much like the army" has really restricted us from taking some of the good points the ACU had and creating an acceptable uniform.

This attitude hurts the airmen who don't fight from behind a desk via email.

Oh, and first post
+1000

One of the things I can't stand is the AF troops (primarly Security Forces troops) that want to play pretend like they are Army infantry but don't want to look like the Army. They want their own "special" uniform/camo pattern. It would just make sense to utilize the Army uniform after all the Army actually seemed to listen to the troops input on their uniform.
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 23:26   #51
DefenderC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko View Post
+1000

One of the things I can't stand is the AF troops (primarly Security Forces troops) that want to play pretend like they are Army infantry but don't want to look like the Army. They want their own "special" uniform/camo pattern. It would just make sense to utilize the Army uniform after all the Army actually seemed to listen to the troops input on their uniform.
On the contrary, most of the SP I know and work with don't like the ABU either. They are still wearing the BDU as long as possible. I can see the senior leadership wanting to "play Army" but not "look Army". But the younger guys don't really care.

What erks me is so much money is spent on development of ABU, but it took another year or more to finally get a matching kevlar cover. Our gear/equipment still doesnt match, it is still desert camo. If they wanted us to look different they sure did succeed!

I've never understood the Air Force's animosity towards the Army. I'm all for heritage, but they are our sister service after all.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28   #52
meeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderC5 View Post
I've never understood the Air Force's animosity towards the Army. I'm all for heritage, but they are our sister service after all.

Like I have always said "The USAF, 60 years untouched by tradition!"
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 13:37   #53
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I'd chalk that up to the little pecker syndrome, even though th ADAF controls the big ones. However, a special relationship exists between those groups in the AF that are constantly aligned with the Army, notably TACP, Combat WX and STS (when assigned to a unit). Very symbotic there as each needs the other to complete the mission.

Someone explain to me why OD green BDUs won't work as well for all areas? Not enough gucchi-flage?

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 04-10-2008, 15:43   #54
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I was going to avoid the ABU as long as possible but got promoted, and all my BDUs were either fast approaching or already at "Snow Camo" stage, and had to be replaced, so I embraced the gayness and went ABU.

The wash and wear is nice, but I don't consider it in any way a real combat uniform. Oddly, at night, it does blend better faster than the DCU, it's a little darker and digital, but not quite as well as the BDU against regular grass at least.
Old 04-16-2008, 20:30   #55
Live With Honor

I see a lot of blaming Security Forces for starching uniforms, polishing boots, etc., but understand it's not our fault. We fully understand why it's ridiculous to starch uniforms and polish boots before a field exercise, but more often than not, we are being instructed by higher-ups to do so.

A perfect example of this was a recent field exercise I was on, where the NCOIC insisted that the black knee and elbow pads we were wearing were getting "worn" looking (you read correctly). So, he promptly instructed all of us to polish the plastic portion of the pads with boot polish. So, there we are, in the middle of the field, faces painted, geared up, and polishing our knee pads with boot polish.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm all for looking sharp during normal duties, and setting the standard for others to follow, but before anyone blames the troops for starching or pressing their ABU's, remember that the troops were probably told to do so by someone a lot higher than them.
Old 04-16-2008, 20:52   #56
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

I'm not active duty like some others in the thread but I still see some of this at my base. The First Sergeant (usually) will tell the squadron we need to have sharper creases or shinier boots, etc. Sometimes we get emails sent base-wide solemnly reminding us that we need to look square away I don't think I've ever heard someone below MSgT ever mention the issue in my squadron.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56   #57
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I would have introduced Mr.Kneepad to electrical tape.

I've heard some dumb ones, but that's up near the top of the list.
Old 04-21-2008, 00:22   #58
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
A perfect example of this was a recent field exercise I was on, where the NCOIC insisted that the black knee and elbow pads we were wearing were getting "worn" looking (you read correctly). So, he promptly instructed all of us to polish the plastic portion of the pads with boot polish. So, there we are, in the middle of the field, faces painted, geared up, and polishing our knee pads with boot polish.
That would be a clue that the NCOIC dillweed never spent anytime in any real event. If he had spent a rotation at NTC or Polk for exercises, they would have laughed their butts off at him, never mind real FOBs or in-theater bases.

But I still remember a CMSgt idiot who would give you gigs if the crease on your pickle suit was off or your flightline boots weren't daily polished. I remember my former Vietnam vet line boss telling him to get bent one day when the gigs finally were enough.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 04-24-2008, 17:31   #59
najaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
I was going to avoid the ABU as long as possible but got promoted, and all my BDUs were either fast approaching or already at "Snow Camo" stage, and had to be replaced, so I embraced the gayness and went ABU.

The wash and wear is nice, but I don't consider it in any way a real combat uniform. Oddly, at night, it does blend better faster than the DCU, it's a little darker and digital, but not quite as well as the BDU against regular grass at least.
Actually, I just wanted to correct something... the ABU pattern is not digital. The Air Force was offered several actual digital patterns, but turned them down. Instead, they took tiger stripes and added some ragged edges to them.
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30   #60
DefenderC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaboy View Post
Actually, I just wanted to correct something... the ABU pattern is not digital. The Air Force was offered several actual digital patterns, but turned them down. Instead, they took tiger stripes and added some ragged edges to them.
Looking at them right now. Those "ragged edges" are what most others would call a "pixelated" or "digitized" pattern. It's a digital tiger stripe, different names for the same thing. Looking at the guy next to me, they look just as "ragged" as the ACU, which is digitized.

Regardless, my ACU IBA covers most of it up anyway. The office commandos apparently didn't factor in the need for an ABU body armor.