SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2008, 15:14   #61
najaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderC5 View Post
Looking at them right now. Those "ragged edges" are what most others would call a "pixelated" or "digitized" pattern. It's a digital tiger stripe, different names for the same thing. Looking at the guy next to me, they look just as "ragged" as the ACU, which is digitized.

Regardless, my ACU IBA covers most of it up anyway. The office commandos apparently didn't factor in the need for an ABU body armor.
Far from an issue of semantics. The AF was presented with several digital prototypes, but rejected them all. The design that was opted for is not a pixelated pattern by any means.

It's interesting to note that the designers of the ABU issued an open apology to Airmen on their website, along with a brief synopsis (including photos) of the digitized patterns that they offered the AF.
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 16:21   #62
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The ABU designers said "we'll use Army gear" i.e ACU pattern body armor, helmet covers, and tactical gear, which makes me wonder why they bothered going with a different pattern uniform if 75% of your body is covered in ACU pattern (which, admittedly, mixes very well with ABU in the people I've seen wearing both).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 19:30   #63
spectre381

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangenedrlove View Post
That statement is one of the things about the USAF I have a huge problem with. We're not doctors, lawyers, or accountants...those are professionals. We're warriors. We get down and dirty to get the job done.
Have you ever heard the term "Profession of Arms"? You ARE a professional... every bit as much as the doctors, lawyers, or accountants. And in my humble opinion, even more so. Not everyone can or will do the various jobs of the military professional. You, and everyone serving, is a "professional" in your particular craft and in the profession of arms - or in layman's terms - the military service and all the traditions that go hand in hand with that. Getting the job done as you say, whether it involves "getting down and dirty" or standing at a gate in a starched uniform, requires professionalism to the utmost degree. Not having 5 or 6 or 10 yrs of college under your belt doesn't make you any less professional than someone with an "advanced" educational degree.

Where did I form my opinion on this subject? I retired in mid-2006 after 22 1/2 yrs of proud service in the USAF. I spent the first handful behind a desk, 7 yrs as a Sensor Operator onboard AC-130H Spectre gunships, and almost 4 yrs as a squadron and then group First Sgt before I retired. So I've worn the starched and pressed uniform with the shiny boots. I've worn the flt suit that hasn't been washed in a week because we were too busy flying combat missions over Somalia or Bosnia or Afghanistan or Iraq and were more worried about staying alive than looking pretty. I've celebrated reenlistments with friends in uniform, and paid respects at some of those same friends funerals in my uniform. And I will tell you that with very few exceptions over those 22 1/2 yrs, when I pulled that uniform on (regardless of the variation) I was proud to wear it and proud of what it stood for. I was a PROFESSIONAL member of the US Air Force.

"If you know how to shoot, and are quite ready to shoot, the chances are that you won't have to shoot."
-- Blackjack Pershing
spectre381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 21:20   #64
agentl074

ABU's

Well I was one of those SF Journeymen who had to starch the uniform and shine the boots until they could be mirrors .... Although, I like the sound of a maintenance free service uniform - you cant beat the woodland BDU! I hated the idea of a blue POS to replace the tried and true colors. Shine on the boots should ALWAYS be a sense of pride on a troops uniform! I remember when my BDU's were'nt starched the best razor shape (because I didnt know to let them dry at least a day lol) ... But the funny thing is that I learned so much more when I got out and let the four years of information soak in.

Troops have something to show for their pride - if the ABU's cannot deminstrate this, let the boots do the talking.
*Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty*

Last edited by agentl074; 05-14-2008 at 21:31..
agentl074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:51   #65
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I have to admit, not having to worry about shining the hell out of your boots only five minutes into the shift to completely wipe them out simply by getting in your Humvee is nice.

Since I spend the majority of my day unseen by anyone, in a Humvee, this is nice.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40   #66
agentl074

Clorafram shoes were nice for the blues in that regard hehe
*Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty*
agentl074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 14:30   #67
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Okay, I remember as a young airman choking on the price of a BDU set at Clothing Sales. What does a set of ABUs run now?

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 18:52   #68
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

With name tags stripes and patches (granted, the Infamous Walking Billboard look is out, so there's fewer patches), about $100.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:32   #69
DefenderC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
With name tags stripes and patches (granted, the Infamous Walking Billboard look is out, so there's fewer patches), about $100.
Yup, still too much IMO. They only thing that went away was command/unit patches, and those were usually issued by the unit.

Apparently they are phasing out the green boots and sticking with the tan (finally a good move) and also making it lighter weight (oh thank God)... can anyone confirm this?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:34   #70
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The lighter weight top was confirmed, more or less in AF Times. As well as a upcoming "combat shirt" basically an ABU pattern clone of the Army's.

No word on the green boot being phased out, this would make far too much sense for the USAF.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:34   #71
najaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderC5 View Post
Yup, still too much IMO. They only thing that went away was command/unit patches, and those were usually issued by the unit.

Apparently they are phasing out the green boots and sticking with the tan (finally a good move) and also making it lighter weight (oh thank God)... can anyone confirm this?
The green boots are not being phased out. Initial issue of ABU boots was suspended in order to allow the current supply of tan boots to be depleted.
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 16:27   #72
maclean
Gàidhlig

They are $100 when you can effin find a matched pair!

Good luck with that!
Black Rifle Club #38, Hamshack Club #38
Northwest Glocker #38, NRA Life Member
446 SFS "What the hell is a warpig?"
Glock Armorer, Firearms Instructor
Shooting since 1979, Serving since 1996
maclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 17:53   #73
Notrega

Someone has to say it...

Old 06-27-2008, 18:59   #74
DrMaxit
Dirtbag Airman

I was the FIRST flight in the AF to be ISSUED the new ABUs in Basic. Mine don't match or fit for ****, they were low on inventory so I "got what i got." I think that some look good if you take the time to get the right sizes, but mine literally look like ****. Its in the clothing regs that its UNAUTHORIZED to starch, press, alter or basically do anything, other than wash and wear. Yeah its easier, but needless to say, I've bought a set of BDUs myself, just so I don't look like a jackass.

--Chuck
DrMaxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:48   #75
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Well, you could have just gotten a pair color matched. If you need the babycrap green boots that are actually COMFORTABLE (coming from a cop, i know about comfortable boots) Converse's sidezip desert model are now available in "sage". $80 or so from www.lapolicegear.com and yes they ship to APO.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:44   #76
DrMaxit
Dirtbag Airman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Well, you could have just gotten a pair color matched. If you need the babycrap green boots that are actually COMFORTABLE (coming from a cop, i know about comfortable boots) Converse's sidezip desert model are now available in "sage". $80 or so from www.lapolicegear.com and yes they ship to APO.
Thanks for the boots, I've got a nice set of comfortable steeled toe tans I like. Not much on the green ones.

So far as color matched? I got them in basic, they didn't give me time to even get the right sizes (and were low in inventory so probably didn't have my size anyways) so I got what I got. I don't think maybe two people out of our two flights were color matched. Most of the pants were gray and the tops were green, hats blueish. Ha. Oh well.

--Chuck
DrMaxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:09   #77
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

It's nothing new.

First issue, ever, of a brand new uniform that was already having color-match problems (now mostly fixed), that was going to happen regardless.
Old 06-29-2008, 16:04   #78
LABMAN
GLOCK 20SF 10MM

The polished and pressed crap is not new...I was in Nam in '68 at Tan Son Nhut AB, where 7th AF was and we had fricking flowerbeds till Tet came and then they decided sand bags were good too. But, they still tried to give everyone a hard time & that was in a WAR ZONE!
Old 06-29-2008, 19:23   #79
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

As one guy currently deployed in the war, 4-time Iraq and 1-time Afghanistan vet (Army, Special Forces) said "I deployed to my war zone and found a garrison had broken out".

Same BS, different century.......
Old 06-30-2008, 05:03   #80
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

I've heard that said too.

Where I am, lots of guys are coming to me to get DCU's because the ABU's are too hot.

Last edited by Sam White; 06-30-2008 at 11:30..
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote