SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41   #1
Hillikus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hillikus
Skeptical Wife

Hello all. I recently spoke to a Mason that I work with about becoming a Mason, but my wife is still a little uneasy about it. She doesn't understand why I want to become a Mason and she also doesn't know anything about Masonry and what they do. Anyone have any advice that may help with putting her mind at rest. I haven't petitioned the lodge yet since my co-worker is at another lodge(different state) but he was going to contact the lodge in my town to have an officer contact me. Thanks in advance for any help.

-H
Old 01-14-2008, 09:16   #2
mmsig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillikus View Post
Hello all. I recently spoke to a Mason that I work with about becoming a Mason, but my wife is still a little uneasy about it. She doesn't understand why I want to become a Mason and she also doesn't know anything about Masonry and what they do. Anyone have any advice that may help with putting her mind at rest. I haven't petitioned the lodge yet since my co-worker is at another lodge(different state) but he was going to contact the lodge in my town to have an officer contact me. Thanks in advance for any help.

-H
There is a good book out called Freemasonry For Dummies. That should answer alot of her questions. There are alot of shows on TV lately about Masonry which are misleading. Her only real concern should be the time required at first while going through the degrees. After you're raised, most lodges only meet twice a month for a couple of hours in the evening. She should he happy that you want to join a fraternity who's tenants are brotherly love, relief, and truth. If she has further concerns, she can IM me.
mmsig229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:33   #3
MarcoPolo

My wife had some concerns as well; neither of knew or had family which were masons. There were also some concerns as we came from an evangelical church which is not supportive of (and some are outright anti) masonry.

I can tell you as both a Master Mason and an evangelical/pentecostal Christian, that I have experienced absolutely nothing which caused me to feel "convicted" or uneasy.

If you have any specific concerns that you don't feel comfortable posting; feel free to IM me.

Help a Shriner Help a Child

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 20:13   #4
Hillikus

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely look into that book MMSig and I'm glad you mentioned the shows on TV. I actually was going to put in my original thread about a show that she stumbled upon last night that wasn't very "Pro-Mason." Her watching that show didn't really help my cause much at all and as I said she had absolutely no knowledge of what Masonry is and that was her introduction. I'll grab the book and see what happens from there.

-H
Old 01-14-2008, 20:23   #5
Naptown34
NRA Life Member

oops..
* Personal Protection In The Home
* Rifle
Naptown34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39   #6
MarcoPolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillikus View Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely look into that book MMSig and I'm glad you mentioned the shows on TV. I actually was going to put in my original thread about a show that she stumbled upon last night that wasn't very "Pro-Mason." Her watching that show didn't really help my cause much at all and as I said she had absolutely no knowledge of what Masonry is and that was her introduction. I'll grab the book and see what happens from there.

-H
If it's the show I'm thinking of, it spent the first 75% talking about the conspiracy theories and "masonic murders" then the last 5% talking about how they weren't true and were disproven.

Be careful what you read/watch about Freemasonry. We (masons) spent so many years ignoring this stuff that the anti-masonry/conspiracy theorists got pretty outlandish with it. I think that if/after you become a Mason, you'll do what the rest of us do and just chuckle everytime you see see that stuff.

Abut the biggest conspiracy i've seen at our lodge lately is brothers hiding the last piece of pie in the back corner of the fridge so nobody else gets it.

Help a Shriner Help a Child

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:03   #7
Hillikus

Thats what I tried to tell her but as I said that was her intro into Masonry so I can't much blame her. Since then though she has spoken to a member of her family that is a 32nd degree and is finally entertaining the idea now so at least she kept an open mind. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2008, 15:34   #8
ArodJohns

A good (and true) thing to tell your wife, is the requirements. For Ohio, you must be a Man, you must be at least 19 years old, you must be of moral character, and you have to believe in a monotheistic supreme deity.

Another thing that would help her, is to go ahead and petition the Lodge. When they ask if you have any questions during your interview, tell them "My wife's a little uneasy about this. While she's not anti, is there any possibility that your wives could give mine a call and just talk to her about it?"

Also, "Making Good Men Better" is another point you could speak from.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I may be a little slow to answer, but I'll answer everyone of them as truthfully as I can.

Every day is exactly the same
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 20:31   #9
CaptDoug04
PM 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsig229 View Post
There is a good book out called Freemasonry For Dummies. That should answer alot of her questions. There are alot of shows on TV lately about Masonry which are misleading. Her only real concern should be the time required at first while going through the degrees. After you're raised, most lodges only meet twice a month for a couple of hours in the evening. She should he happy that you want to join a fraternity who's tenants are brotherly love, relief, and truth. If she has further concerns, she can IM me.
The author WB Chris Hodapp is from the Indianapolis area, quite the Brother. I enjoy chatting with him and reading his publications and writings
.40 S&W Club #2629/TT #29/FF #29/OAF #2629 (shudder)/XD Club #2629/Freemasons Lodge #178
CaptDoug04 is offline   Reply With Quote