GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:25   #101
magpie maniac

After some thought, I was able to squeeze in five more points for a weighted total of 71.4. Not bad at all for a GHB that weighs less than eighteen pounds.

Do I get bonus points for adding a small monocular?
magpie maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05   #102
Flashbang1063

I rated a 70.7 with a pack that weighs under 30lbs

The bag and contents are listed in this review thread I did http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316001

No comms....yet
No navigation.....city dweller, I know my way around very well
Shelter....just a blanket....plenty of structures for shelter

Still going to upgrade the deficiencies though. Thanks for the calculator!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Flashbang1063; 03-02-2011 at 10:06..
Flashbang1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:50   #103
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
64.1 without including shelter, since my location (urban Iraq) requires none.

85.1 corrected*

Could score better in

Hydro (another small bladder or filter)
Food (cliff bars and emergency rats really do suck taste wise)
Fire (should add a zippo or lighter to what I've got)

But other than that, I've got pretty much everything else covered in spades.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 23:45   #104
Chewy Montenegro

Whats your survival situation?

Lots of discussion about survival and how to do it, but what is everybody here preparing for? I recently started a survival bag of my own. Its a work is progress, and I just thought it would be a good idea to have something in case a horrible tornado blew through or a sleeper cell of Hajis woke up down the street.
Chewy Montenegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 23:55   #105
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy Montenegro View Post
Lots of discussion about survival and how to do it, but what is everybody here preparing for? I recently started a survival bag of my own. Its a work is progress, and I just thought it would be a good idea to have something in case a horrible tornado blew through or a sleeper cell of Hajis woke up down the street.
All kinds of things. Run of the mill outages (power, water, phone, etc), vehicle breakdowns, storms/tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, other natural disasters, man made disasters like bombs, hazmat spills, chem/bio releases or attacks, civil unrest, economic distress, war, pandemic, etc.

My current GHB, located in our vehicle, scores a 51 taken straight up. But then in Metro Atlanta in the summer shelter isn't very important, that was a big hit. A logical correction puts it a little over 60

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 06-26-2011 at 00:04..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 13:29   #106
Scratchthejeepguy

Is Ver 2.2 the latest and greatest? I don't have that neat little chart. By the way, I'm at 58.6. Need to work on it....

Edit: oops, found the neat little chart...

Last edited by Scratchthejeepguy; 07-02-2011 at 13:30..
Scratchthejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:01   #107
emt1581
Curious Member

Wow how did I miss this thread?!?!

I have to work on my bag for a few weeks first but I'll be back and give my score once I've finished.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44   #108
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I liked this one thread so well I signed up at GT just to discuss it.

I like what the OP is doing here, especially how he put size in tension against amount. That’s brilliant. In the real world there’s always these tradeoffs. Your higher score for carrying everything plus the kitchen sink is lowered when you consider the weight of the monster pack you’d have to carry, your reduced mobility, and the larger target you’d become for a robbery. Might be interesting to put amount in tension against lower weight (rather than size).

I’m evaluating a GHB for Los Angeles use, and its demands don’t really allow a high score, but that doesn’t matter, because the process made me think hard about my gear and I added/deleted several items. So this is an excellent exercise, whether or not you agree with the dimensions or weights. Hat’s off to WilyCoyote. I improved my GHB score from 45 to 54 after this exercise and found some bone-headed omissions on my part.

I’d lobby for two items to be added to the next version of the rating system. First, under defense, we need to think more broadly than knife/gun. My most important defensive items are likely going to be my N95 masks and a pair of goggles. Much more likely I’ll be struggling to see/breathe after a disaster, than stabbing & shooting people in SD. The second item that really needs to be added (under food, maybe?) is cash, in say $5 denominations. Should have $100-300 in small bills, and maybe not carried in your pack, which could be lost in a robbery. And a minor niggle, the flashlight probably better belongs under navigation (used to find your way in the dark) but I can see it being a comm device in a nasty situation.

-> Shelter: For Los Angeles GHB, doesn’t make much sense to go over 6.
-> Hydro: 6, A bucket full of 20 oz water bottles in the car, to be added to the pack as needed.
-> Food: 5, and difficult. The GHB, stored inside a cooler inside the car, can get to 120 degrees inside the cooler (!), so need either fast food rotation or truly sturdy food. As is, one modest meal in there. Hoping that’s one item you could still buy for a little while after the S hits the F, so carrying money as substitute. Otherwise, going hungry & drinking instead.
-> Fire: 6 but don’t expect there to be much need for it in Los Angeles. No Bic lighters due to high heat limitation of car storage (120 degrees is tops for a bic lighter, says so on the package).
-> Portability: A high score here is important to my situation, and best I can manage is 6. I could be walking across LA. Jansport pack with a modest profile, doesn’t look big or “tactical,” more like “library,” which is good.
Navigation: Thanks for the kick in the pants. I was only a 3, getting that up to a 6 over the next week by obtaining maps & marking routes. (What was I thinking???)
-> Durability: 7.
-> Defense: 4, and that’s all the farther I’m willing to go as a civvie in LA. Fixed blades must be worn on belt or can earn you jail time, so why would I attract that sort of negative attention to myself? This is another area where I consider a low number to be “tops” for my situation. Maybe I should add pepper spray?
-> First aid: 6 and am working to push this higher.
-> Comm: 5, carrying the popular little Sony 2AA radio, + high power 2AA LED light with strobe (200 lumen).

Total: 54.

Anyway, great exercise, makes you really think about your bag’s contents, and motivates you to achieve a higher score by adding a few items that are readily available now and will be rare & vital later. Thank you, Wily, and all the people who helped create this rating system. Great job!!!

Last edited by Bolster; 02-21-2012 at 17:49..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 17:01   #109
WilyCoyote

Glad to see you were able to make some chages for the better. One thing I thought of for when conducting route planning is to check your local law enforcement's website for crime data. Many have maps showing hot spots of certain types of crime and or gang activity. Identifying these locations on your route map as NO GO zones could help mitigate run-ins with the non-friendlies.

I see your point about changing around the scoring system to add additional factors and I like your idea about the goggles and mask. In designing the rating system I found that there was a limited amount of %age for equipment and pack contents and that each subject matter needs to be assigned a significance so it can be compared to the others with respect to usefulness. Early on the decision was made to give the heaviest weight to those articles which have the biggest impact on survival in ALL survival situations, ie shelter, water, food. With a limited amount of remaining %age to assign to other equipment I was unable to add certain nice niche items that would be very useful in some situations, like masks, cash, passports, etc. To assign a weight to every niche item would wash out the significance of more important items for OVERALL survival.

That being said, the scale was created to get people to compare and think and add and subtract until they have a BOB/GHB that is ideal for their given situation and I'm glad it helped you out. Remember that the score, as I've said before, isn't a grade of your competence, but rather an identifyer of your style.
WilyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 15:06   #110
oscarturner

Thanks for the spreadsheet!

I don't have a GHB or BOB. I decided to score my hunting bag to see how close it gets me as a GHB.

• Shelter 6 - Wool Blanket, rain poncho
  • Hydro 5 - 2 16 oz water bottles
  • Food 4 - peanut butter, power bars and jerky
  • Fire 6 - flint/mag stick, wood matches, and lighter
  • Portable 6 - High-school book bag type
  • Navigation 3 - It's a lanyard compass thank you very much.
  • Durable 3 - Torn and taped
  • Defense 6 - Gerber Multi tool, Buck 103 skinner, Ontario Air Force survival knife, Wyoming Bone/Camp saw.
  • First Aid 3 - Mine is actually a homemade hiker's kit with moleskin antiseptics and NSAIDs. I should get a negative score, because I require daily Rx and I don't have them in the bag.
  • Comms 1- I guess I get 1 for having a whistle.
Congratulations! Your score is: 47.5

I keep my hunting bag in my trunk at all times. It has a few items in it that may not be useful in an urban GHB or BOB; like scent blocker, doe scent, a safety harness and an orange cap, but it also has 40 feet of para-cord, duct tape, hand and foot warmers, 2 knife sharpeners, a mini-mag flashlight, a small lantern, an led headlamp, a mini fish tackle kit and a small jar of peanut butter.

Too much weight and overkill in some aspects (a lot of cutlery) and yet missing the very basics (like my meds!). It still seems like a good starting point. I actually need my hunting bag to be a GHB. There is so much crossover between a GHB and my hunting bag that seems like I'd end up moving things back and forth or buying duplicates that I can't afford. Maybe a better organized bag with better choices, a water filter and my meds could do double duty. I'll also never be able to keep a firearm in the bag since I work at a school and that is a no-no.
oscarturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 00:12   #111
Devans0

I have a BOV monster diesel with truck camper that is self contained and boon dock ready. I put myself at 94% with 10's in most categories. Comm is only 4, I have to do something about that. Excellent and thought provoking thread. Having been through a natural disaster, tools are important. I am thinking heavier than most, with a lot more gear.

Last edited by Devans0; 02-15-2012 at 00:17..
Devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 17:38   #112
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Suggestion:

Defense Scale #4, change that from:
Tactical Folder (Benchmade, Kershaw, etc)
to:
Tactical Folder (Quality) or Pepper Spray

...controversial? perhaps, but spray works at a farther distance than knife, and probably has a better chance with multiple attackers than a knife...plus, this would allow you to get the "redundancy" multiplier if you carry both knife and pepper, and I think getting the redundancy multiplier is deserved, if you have both. It also solves a problem for certain city dwellers who would look badly under-weaponed if knife alone was used as the yardstick.

(current score: 58.6 and still working to break 60 while still contained in a daypack.)

Last edited by Bolster; 02-21-2012 at 17:53..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:52   #113
auto-5

So after a 3 mile hike yesterday in a freaking downpour I am going to add a spare pair of sox to my BOB. I also added a roll of pre wrap and athletic tape. I think this is a pretty good idea if you know how to tape an ankle. It sure beats hiking with a twisted ankle if you can tape it on the trail.

My BOB is also my my trail bag sans gun. 65

Edit Still working on my bag and am up to a 73.4 I found some good topo maps of my area at a local camping store which bumped up my navigation and a stove I made from a tuna can and a travel sized mouth wash container full of rubbing alcohol.

Last edited by auto-5; 07-14-2012 at 13:59..
auto-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54   #114
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I should rescore mine, as it's had quite a few changes.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 15:48   #115
I Shooter

Some one needs to explain to me what a get home bag is for? I mean how far do you people work from home or are you getting away from home? When I was working,( I am retired now) I was never more than 2 hours from home. The only thing I carried in the car was water, gun, shells, lunch box with some first aid stuff and tools. When I worked out of town I took a 22' travel trailer with us, (most of the time took the wife along). I had every thing in it. Guns, tools, reloading stuff. food for at least 3months , fishing stuff and more stuff than I can think about now. If some thing went wrong when we were away from home we had our home with us. So getting back home would have been the goal but it would not have been a must.

I have a pack that I use for hunting it is full of stuff that could be called survival stuff. Same could be said for our camping packs. Now days the only time we are away from home is when we go to town to get stuff or visit one of the kids. Then there is the road trips that take in our new trailer to see some of this great country. It is a 32' and has our hunting, fishing gear and more stuff in it than I care to think about moving. It took us two days to unload the 22' when we traded it in on the 32'. Now the 32' has all the stuff from the 22' plus other stuff we have added to make life better when we do a road trip.

If for some reason we had to bug out of our house in the country and had an hour notice we would take the trailer. If we only had half an hour we would put the dogs, camping and hunting stuff in the truck and take off. That is what we did when the last storm came through here. We put the dogs and camping gear in the truck and headed away from the storm. We didn't have to use any thing out of the packs because we were back home in four hours. The house was fine and so was the trailer. Thirty miles down the road, that town got blown away, I think it was 17 killed. Very bad.

We have food stocked, water purifiers, guns, reloading stuff, generator and stuff to repair about every thing we have(small repairs). Every year we put out a garden. All of this stuff is just part of living in the country. If you don't have it you will be in trouble sooner or later.

If you live in the city I can under stand a BOB if for no other reason than to just get out of the city. In a S.H.F. event in the big cities I will pray for all of you. You are going to need gods help to get by. Things in the city are bad enough in good times. I can't think of how bad it will be in really hard times. History tells us that if is going to be very bad. Good luck to all and have a great day.
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 17:42   #116
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shooter View Post
Some one needs to explain to me what a get home bag is for? I mean how far do you people work from home or are you getting away from home? When I was working,( I am retired now) I was never more than 2 hours from home.
2 hours under what conditions?

If you had to walk...how many days?

Quote:
If some thing went wrong when we were away from home we had our home with us.
Most people do not have that as a readily available and reasonable option.

Quote:
If you live in the city I can under stand a BOB if for no other reason than to just get out of the city. In a S.H.F. event in the big cities I will pray for all of you. You are going to need gods help to get by. Things in the city are bad enough in good times. I can't think of how bad it will be in really hard times. History tells us that if is going to be very bad. Good luck to all and have a great day.
Agreed.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-29-2012 at 17:42..
Old 04-29-2012, 19:03   #117
I Shooter

Warp. The two hours from home was by driving. If things had really went wrong on any given day it would have taken a day plus to get home. Yes I can see your point that I would have needed food and shelter if some thing had happened to close down all the roads. Not very likely in a city the size of Cincinnati. We had a bomb scare on I 275 some years back and they routed us around that road, that two hour drive went to four. If we lost one of the bridges around here it would cause traffic jams and longer rides but you would still be able to drive home. One night the wife and I were going out for dinner and we got in to a traffic jam that took us six hours to get out of. I wish at that time we had more than water to drink. So now I carry a bag with some MRE's, a couple of space blankets and two quarts of water. It all so has our GPS and some other stuff in it and it goes with us no matter what we drive. I look at it as a just in case bag. Any way I still don't carry a tent or a BOB with me. I guess I just prep for what I know can go wrong. I mean short of an all out war I can get home by car or truck. You have a great day.
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 19:07   #118
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Warp. The two hours from home was by driving. If things had really went wrong on any given day it would have taken a day plus to get home. Yes I can see your point that I would have needed food and shelter if some thing had happened to close down all the roads. Not very likely in a city the size of Cincinnati. We had a bomb scare on I 275 some years back and they routed us around that road, that two hour drive went to four. If we lost one of the bridges around here it would cause traffic jams and longer rides but you would still be able to drive home. One night the wife and I were going out for dinner and we got in to a traffic jam that took us six hours to get out of.

What if there was a major incident that disrupted normal services and activity, and your vehicle became inoperable or unusable?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:52   #119
FireForged
Millenium #3936

3day camp bag.. under 25lbs (SCORE 63)

list of contents (underway)

Last edited by FireForged; 06-13-2012 at 10:15..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 13:04   #120
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
3day camp bag.. under 25lbs
How much water?