Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:00   #1
ciwsguy

Store-bought ammo

Bought a couple of boxes of 9mm Luger, 100 round Winchester bulk pack from a local Meijer store a couple of weeks back. Just opened it to load up and head to the range, and noticed there were a couple of Winchester .38 special rounds on top of the 9mm rounds. The local Meijer store has their live ammo on the shelf where anybody can come along and pick up a box to buy, the convenience of which I like, as I don't have to go get someone to open a locked cabinet. The downside of having ammo on an open store shelf is that someone can come along and open it, tamper with it, or steal a few rounds by slipping into their pocket as there is no store associate typically in the sporting goods dept. The bulk packs are easy pickings as none of the boxes are sealed.

I called the store and talked to customer service who said that is their corporate policy to make it customer friendly. That may be BS as the Meijer stores in Michigan have live ammo locked up behind a glass door (that may be a state specific requirement). I appreciate easy access from a convenience perspective, but I find it comical that the air-soft guns and air-soft ammo are now locked up behind a glass door cabinet, but the live ammo is just sitting there where anybody can mess with it. The ammo boxes are not taped shut, so anyone can easily open them.

Well obviously you can't put a .38 SP round into a 9mm semi-auto magazine, but it got me thinking that someone could have easily mixed some .380 ACP into the 9mm ammo box and if the user weren't looking closely, inadvertently use .380 in a 9mm X 19 gun. Don't know if a .380 would even chamber in my Glock or Walther 9mm, but if it could, that scenario could potentailly be dangerous for the user, don't you think?

Well, before any of you high and mighty hand-loaders (and you know who you are) key in to the "Dangers" of store bought ammo - don't even go there. That's not the intent of this post. My intent is for those of us don't want to mess with loading their own ammo and use store-bought ammo, you might want to take a closer look at what you bought before loading & shooting it. There may have been some smart-a-- domestic terrorist that stuck an intentionally overloaded round into your store bought ammo with intent to do harm to its user. That may be a stretch of my imagination, but it is a possibility.

ciwsguy

Last edited by ciwsguy; 01-21-2008 at 15:15.. Reason: corrected 9mm X 18 to 9mm X19
ciwsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59   #2
Blaker

I didn't know Meijer sold ammo...is it cheaper than Wally World?
Blaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 14:03   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Well obviously you can't put a .38 SP round into a 9mm semi-auto magazine, but it got me thinking that someone could have easily mixed some .380 ACP into the 9mm ammo box and if the user weren't looking closely, inadvertently use .380 in a 9mm X 18 gun. Don't know if a .380 would even chamber in my Glock or Walther 9mm, but if it could, that scenario could potentailly be dangerous for the user, don't you think?
Not really. It would just malfunction. If you put in something more powerful (which usually won't fit) it could be dangerous, but putting in a lower powered round of about the right caliber wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 01-21-2008, 15:13   #4
ciwsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
I didn't know Meijer sold ammo...is it cheaper than Wally World?
No. About the same on 9mm & 38/357, 45ACP, etc.
Old 01-21-2008, 16:37   #5
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

Send a message via AIM to domzilla9 Send a message via Yahoo to domzilla9
In my opinion, the chances of buying ammo that is defective or just plain crappy are exponentially larger than the chances of buying ammo that was booby-trapped by a terrorist.
Old 01-21-2008, 19:50   #6
ciwsguy

I agree Dom. Like I said, it was a stretch. Still found it troubling that ammo boxes could be tampered with and there may not be 100 rounds in that bulk pack if someone has pilfered some of them.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:37   #7
Uncle Mark
Bitter American

I don't buy much factory ammo because I'm one of "those guys" who reload but I still do once in awhile. That is a very good point, though, of someone tampering with a box of ammo. It wouldn't be too difficult for me to load up a few rounds containing double or triple charges of Bullseye which would have very dire consequences for anyone shooting it. I don't think it would be out of line for you to mention this to the store manager and maybe the inconvenience of having to wait for a clerk to get a box for you would be minor, indeed. Just my .02 worth.

Maybe this thread should be posted in the General Non-Glocking forum for more exposure.

Last edited by Uncle Mark; 01-22-2008 at 12:39.. Reason: added a thought
Uncle Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 17:12   #8
ciwsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mark View Post
I don't buy much factory ammo because I'm one of "those guys" who reload but I still do once in awhile. That is a very good point, though, of someone tampering with a box of ammo. It wouldn't be too difficult for me to load up a few rounds containing double or triple charges of Bullseye which would have very dire consequences for anyone shooting it. I don't think it would be out of line for you to mention this to the store manager and maybe the inconvenience of having to wait for a clerk to get a box for you would be minor, indeed. Just my .02 worth.

Maybe this thread should be posted in the General Non-Glocking forum for more exposure.
I did talk to the Mgr and suggested that they at least tape up those boxes so someone can't tamper with it. I'll keep an eye out during future purchases.