Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:14   #1
1bamashooter

Lost my job today

Well I started a 72 hr shift this morning, everything was going good until the phone rang around 1700 hrs, I was my manager saying that as of midnight tonight we no longer have a job I work.. umm worked for a private service called Emergystat Ambulance, we have had some finantial problems but no one saw this coming. I have worked in Perry Co Alabama for 8 years I started with Perry Co EMS then Emergystat came in and took over the county 6 years ago and I've worked for them since. Care Ambulance of Alabama is taking over the county after midnight and they hired us on with them. We do not know what will happen now, the county commission is having a emergency meeting in the morning. I'm hoping Care will keep us on just as we where with E-stat, but I expect changes for the worst. I have my feelers out and I work in a gun shop and gunsmith on the side to keep the cash coming in. Maybe it will work out.

Ron
1bamashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:21   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Good luck and keep us posted.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36   #3
Stopdropnroll

Its going to take just as many medics to run the calls as it did before with several companies. I have lived through these. You will be fine, give it a week or two to unfold. Hang in there.
Stopdropnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:36   #4
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

I hope it works out for you man.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:33   #5
Stonewall621
NRA Member

Sorry about your luck. I worked for E-Stat up here in Virginia for a while and hated it.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:59   #6
fjnardo

Good luck and hope things turn out for you
fjnardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:59   #7
Sucka

That was pretty sudden. I've seen private companies fold in the past, but you could see it coming for a few months. I'm sorry to hear that.

Medics are hard to come by out here in the West, not sure how it is out where you are. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. When i worked for AMR i saw them lose a few good size medic contracts while i was there, most of the medics either got positions on another medic unit, or were absorbed into the new company. Hope the same happens to you.
Old 01-24-2008, 14:10   #8
1bamashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
That was pretty sudden. I've seen private companies fold in the past, but you could see it coming for a few months. I'm sorry to hear that.

Medics are hard to come by out here in the West, not sure how it is out where you are. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. When i worked for AMR i saw them lose a few good size medic contracts while i was there, most of the medics either got positions on another medic unit, or were absorbed into the new company. Hope the same happens to you.

We where hired by the new company Care Ambulance but there are already problems. This "take over" happened at midnight and we haven't gotten a strait answer from anybody as of yet. I have heard very bad things about Care from their regional manager of all people so that has me worried also. 2 people have been sent home because there aren't enough trucks for the crews scheduled to work or so they say. I'm scheduled to work a 72 Fri being a extra shift but I told my manager to find somebody else to work it I needed tomorrow to look for a new job. I guess we'll see.
Old 01-24-2008, 18:18   #9
Sucka

Scary situation when that's your livelihood, i really hope that works out for you.

For what it's worth, we had Care Ambulance in San Diego and they were known to be a pretty good company. They didn't have any paramedic contracts, but they did supply adequate training, good equipment and pay among other things. I'm sure that's no consolation for someone in your shoes, but there could be hope.

Keep us updated on how it all goes down, good luck my friend.
Old 01-24-2008, 18:34   #10
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
For what it's worth, we had Care Ambulance in San Diego and they were known to be a pretty good company...
"Care Ambulance" or similar derivatives with the name Care are really common in private EMS. Doubtful it is the same company from Ca to Al.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 18:39   #11
Sucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
"Care Ambulance" or similar derivatives with the name Care are really common in private EMS. Doubtful it is the same company from Ca to Al.
Well we had Rural Metro and i worked for AMR, so companies outside of one city is entirely possible. AMR alone is in something like 35+ states. It might be a different one, i don't know that for sure.
Old 01-24-2008, 21:06   #12
1bamashooter

Here is a link to Cares of Alabama website. http://www.accessontime.com/care/loc.../alabama.shtml
Old 01-24-2008, 21:46   #13
MissAmericanPie
Troop Supporter

I'm so sorry for your misfortune. I hope you either like the new company or you are able to get something much better elsewhere.

Best wishes to you.

Remember our fallen heroes and never forget why they died.
MissAmericanPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 20:45   #14
glock75

Seems like an all too common problem in EMS field. Here locally we have similar occurences every few years. A new company comes in to take the place of the bankrupt company hiring most of their employees, often at a lower pay scale in order to remain competitive.
glock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 00:28   #15
rk246
Firewalker

Seems like somehow things always seem to work out, obviously you are into helping other people, now its time for some good help for you. There is always out here in the west, I know there is a medic shortage around here. Seems AMR cannot keep enough people around.