Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:58   #1
DoubleEagle

I need some advice

Greetings fellow brothers. I am a 32 degree master mason and what some may call a (DUES) paying member. I was raised in 97 and my last visit to lodge was in 98. I'm 32 now and I would like to get back into a lodge. But I feel ashamed that I haven't been in a lodge for so long.

Being a mason means a lot to me. I am a 4 gen mason in my family and eastern star on the womens side. The one thing I will never forget is when i was raised they let my dad raise me. So in the back of my head some stupid thing keeps saying they will be mad that i've been gone so long, Sounds stupid I know but I worry alot.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:29   #2
JayPap
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEagle View Post
Greetings fellow brothers. I am a 32 degree master mason and what some may call a (DUES) paying member. I was raised in 97 and my last visit to lodge was in 98. I'm 32 now and I would like to get back into a lodge. But I feel ashamed that I haven't been in a lodge for so long.

Being a mason means a lot to me. I am a 4 gen mason in my family and eastern star on the womens side. The one thing I will never forget is when i was raised they let my dad raise me. So in the back of my head some stupid thing keeps saying they will be mad that i've been gone so long, Sounds stupid I know but I worry alot.
Don't worry go back and introduce yourself, I don't know of a Lodge who wouldn't appreciate guys coming back and getting involved.

I heard a guy ask a DD if he knew of a Lodge that needed a good ritualist. The response was all my Lodges need good ritualists and good members.

Go back slowly, take your time and make new friends, someone there probably knows your Father since he is a Past Master.
Old 02-16-2008, 13:47   #3
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

My brother - you are a Brother regardless of your attendance. We have about 220 listed as members in our lodge, but only about 50-60 that attend stated meeting regularly.

Worry not, we would be happy to see a Brother who has been out for some time. Remember you EA work - about your preparation. Apparently it is still the same for you. Most lodges would welcom with open arms a young man to contribute and grow old in the lodge.

Welcome home.
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 16:57   #4
mmsig229

some lodges hold a "Rusty Nail" degree once in awhile. This is when the LEO will review dues guards, sign, etc for inactive members. Believe me, your lodge would love to have you attend again. Even if you have just been paying your dues, you've still helped with your money which is used for various Masonic charities.
mmsig229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 18:54   #5
MarcoPolo

As one of our elder PM's says when either prospective members or members who haven't been in a bit show up...

"Come on in the house! Good to see you back!"

Help a Shriner Help a Child

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 23:47   #6
machinisttx

Go for it. Remember the EA lecture? "Your attendance is earnestly solicited, but it is not meant that this should interfere with....."

I honestly don't know half the members of my lodge, but I'd be happy to welcome them back after their absence.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Thomas Jefferson (1781)
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 15:41   #7
JasonMM

I myself wasn't out as long as you were, but I was inactive for about 6-8 months, for work reasons, and i too was ashamed. But when i did start showing back up, everyone welcomed me with open arms and were happy to see me back. I sure it would be the same for yourself.
Old 03-04-2008, 14:22   #8
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:

Do NOT fall into the trap of this type of thinking. I have heard this before, and it is more common than you might imagine.

Brother, I assure you that your Lodge will welcome you back with open arms. I am unaware of any jurisdiction where Masonry can afford to "be mad" at a brother who returns to communications.

You may not realize it, but attendance breeds attendance. If you have one person standing alone staring up, no one will give him much of a second glance. But, if you have 10 people in a group staring at something, pretty soon you have a crowd. The same works with fraternities. The bigger the group, the more interest the group generates. Old friendships will be re-kindled. New ones forged. Soon, you will realize the zeal that made Masonry an important part of your life years ago.

Besides all these reasons, you can then contact Brethren such as yourself who have fallen out of the habit of attending.