SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-01-2002, 08:58   #1
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Pig or Coyote Hunting in Central Texas

Anybody around here do it? I'm thinking of taking a hunter safety class so I can attempt to hunt (never gone hunting before) not a big deer-whacking fan, but I'd like to go for wild pigs, or coyotes, just to see what it's like. If anybody around Waco/Temple/south of Dallas does, give me a yell. I'm in the midst of acquiring a .30-30 and that should do the job.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 13:06   #2
Grey Wolf
SHEEP DOG

Grainger Lake

Murph,

I have been know to chase some pigs around there but it is archery only. I believe Fort Hood allows gun pig hutns but that is a fiasco just to chase very few pigs.(ie state and post hunting lisences, Working through all the BS just to get on post, and worst of all registering you gun with the M.P. station.)

I will keep my eyes open for you. Do you want to go on public land? or are you willing to pay to hunt on someonelses land? I have seen ads for leases for pigs and such in the local Thrifty Nickle. Also might want to check with the "Outhouse" on Franklin...ph: 751-1044. These guys seem extremely nice everytime I go in there.
Hope this helps and have fun!

Later
John
Grey Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:03   #3
BuckeyePPC

Hey Murph, if you find somewhere to go, I'd like to give hogs a try also. I've been trying to find someone who can tell me how to get started and where I can go. I've seen the ads for lease land but I'd hate to get a lease in a bad area. I plan to use my SKS or Mauser for the hogs. Anyways, if you need a shooting partner, let me know, ok?
BuckeyePPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:34   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I'm going to ask around at Praco (the Outhouse guys are archeryonly and not CHL friendly) and see if someone with a lot of pigs on private land is interested (I've had a few offers to "come on out" but at the time had neither an appropriate weapon, or a license) so I'll see. I wouldn't go for a lease (too much $$ and the odds of me going out more than once or twice are kind of low... I work too much.) I know a SWAT guy here who hunts a lot (he uses a stainless Guide Gun for deer, which is a bit of overkill but he likes the .45-70) so I'll ask him to ask around.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 07-02-2002, 05:43   #5
Arbee

Murphy --- I would be interested, too. We ought to be able to find some land where they are over run with pigs and would be glad to have us clear a few out. What about a processor nearby?

These things can hurt you. I have friends who have ben treed by wild pigs...had to stay up for a few hours until they went away.

BTW - what .30-.30 are you getting?
Arbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:07   #6
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

A used Marlin 30AW with a 1-4X Weaver. $269, it's in great shape. Still owe $153.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:28   #7
Haunted Rebel
Memento Mori

Unless your hunting Texas Javilinas(sp?) take a back up gun. We've had alot of hunters killed around here by hogs.