Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51   #1
r2d4

Please update on legislation...

I love the state of NC. I have found the cc laws here to be more on the restrictive side than were I used to live. What are the recent attepts to change this and who can I/WE call to support positive change? Example: (Carry in eating establishments that serve alcohal etc.)
Thanks in advance for this information.
r2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 20:30   #2
magpie maniac

My wife, kids, and I moved to North Carolina in 2005 and we love it, too. We'll never leave this state.

That said, our concealed carry laws could stand to be relaxed a little bit. Last term, twin State House and Senate bills were introduced to allow concealed carry in restaurants. H831 was introduced by Rep. Hilton and Rep. Steen. S1094 was introduced by Sen. Brock. It didn't make it out of committee.

The basic text of the bills are:

Quote:
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO ALLOW PERSONS WITH CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS TO PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES IN RESTAURANTS.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 14‑269.3(b) is amended by adding a new subdivision to read:
"(5) A person on the premises of an establishment that is a restaurant under G.S. 18B‑1000(2) or G.S. 18B‑1000(6) provided the person has a valid concealed handgun permit under Article 54B of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes."
SECTION 2. This act becomes effective December 1, 2007.
Let's hope it makes some progress this spring. Call your legislators.
magpie maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 00:37   #3
r2d4

I am in Catawba county not to far from Lincolnton. Who do I call? And are those the bills I need to ask them to support?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:39   #4
Glock-R1980
Captain OD

I e-mailed Hilton this week and got a response by his secretary: She stated that these bills would not be able to be re-introduced into the short session of 2008, which starts in May, but that Rep. Hilton was going to submit them again in 2009.

Why we have to wait that long is beyond me? I'm just glad we've got an elected official that is willing to introduce such legislation.
Walther P-22, AR-15 BRCM #327
Glock-R1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:57   #5
r2d4

Wow. That is a long time. I hate to think of a whole year without any movement. I will contact and support from my end. Is this a stonewall attempt?
Old 02-01-2008, 16:36   #6
RichardB
Silver Membership

Here is a link to Grass Roots NC which keeps on top of 2nd Amendment issues within our state. You should join and get on their mailing lists. http://www.grnc.org/

Richard

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 20:28   #7
Bosko

I was finally able to pin down a member of Grassroots at a recent gun show over their and NRA's inability to get legislation through Raleigh, specifically an expanded Castle Doctrine and relaxation over carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol. They confirmed what I already know, having been told so "off the record" by a member of the "Raleigh Club". The current thinking of pro 2A legislators is that it would be better to put off introducing such legislation until they know they have the votes to get it out of committee, pass it in both houses and have the Governor sign it into law. The worst thing is to introduce it without the support of the movers and shakers and lose it on an open vote. The road back is often a steeper uphill climb. There are still special interest groups, that command loyalty within the state legislature, who have still not gotten over the passage of Concealed Carry - Handgun. They watch and wait.
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote