Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:44   #1
Mickey

Cops with CCW

I am a full time Officer.I acquired an Ohio CCW Permit years ago just before President Bush signed H.B.218 into Law.This was the Bill that allows Police Officer's to Carry Off Duty anywhere in the Country.
My theory when I applied for the Permit was recipriocity with other states.An Officer carrying out of State at that time was not guaranteed any special Perks if stopped by an out of state agency(Professional Courtesy, as it is called).Ohio's Permit at that time covered approximately 7-8 other states.
Anyhow , here is my question.My Ohio Permit expires in 3 months.Is there any advantages in reapplying for Ohio's Permit?
Mickey

P.S. I am often asked what I think about people carrying guns with a permit.I tell them that Ohio was long overdue.The bad guys always carry.Anywhere and anytime.Why should any Officer be concerned with someone willing to go through a backround check, and training in order to responsibly carry a Firearm.
The best comeback I heard recently about people with CCW permits was this,"Why do you carry a gun?"" Because carrying a Cop would be to heavy."
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:04   #2
ok47s

you are good to go in all 50 states under h.b.218,you don't need a ccw.Just keep your badge and i.d. card with you. A retiree needs to make sure he's authorized to carry on his i.d. Medical retirement could be a problem. Be careful in Kalifonia.Some agency's WILL! confiscate on the spot,the standard answer is if you don't like it,sue us.We do as we please.
ok47s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:16   #3
Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
My Ohio Permit expires in 3 months.Is there any advantages in reapplying for Ohio's Permit?
Mickey
."
Mickey, thank you for your service and also for having gotten your CHL.

YES, please renew your CHL. You've stated your positive attitude towards those who carry. I thank you for that. But, also, we need strength in numbers. If we have a large drop off in numbers over the next couple years, we lose the credibility with the Legislature that we have now with over 106,000 licensees. If the numbers drop off, it gives fuel to the anti's that "see, the public majority doesn't see a need for concealed carry". So please, if for no other reason, help us keep our numbers up. $55 is a small price to pay to help us civilians fight to keep our gun rights.
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor/Ohio CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42   #4
Dean

A friend wrote:
"You are good to go in all 50 states under h.b.218,you don't need a ccw.Just keep your badge and i.d. card with you."

Don't do that. Renew your CHL. Have a concealed handgun license for all the states you travel in wherever possible.

THE REASON is that your CHL is a personal license to carry a weapon, while your shield and ID card must always involve your employer - your department. There are thousands of missing shields and ID cards, just from the NYPD. What is likely to happen if you claim the right to carry on your shield in a far flung state is that the agency making the stop may CALL YOUR HOME AGENCY to verify your identification.

There are MANY circumstances in which you don't always want to identify yourself as a police officer when travelling away from home. I won't list them here because they might be provocative to some. Suffice to say, "It's good to have your own armed citizen's license to carry a pistol. "
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:27   #5
Hask12

The real reason to renew is so that the number of CCW license holders continues to go up. The last thing we want to see is people not renewing their license and giving the anti's any type of reason to get CCW revoked.
Hask12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 23:01   #6
Captain Rehab

Another reason to renew your CCW permit:

If for some reason you are brought up on disiplinary charges at work, your privileges under HR 218 are null and void.
Old 02-04-2008, 23:38   #7
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Rehab View Post
Another reason to renew your CCW permit:

If for some reason you are brought up on disiplinary charges at work, your privileges under HR 218 are null and void.
That is exactly why I have a CCW. Still able to carry if I get fired, suspended, etc.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43   #8
gtmtnbiker98

I am also a commissioned peace officer; however, my status is that of a Special Officer. I also have a CHL for the sole purpose of being able to carry what I want without regard to departmental policy. I enjoy the privilege of carrying on two fronts, that of a peace officer and that of a CHL holder. I'm a firm supporter of Ohio CHL and believe that everybody should have the right to carry so long as they are licensed.
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote