Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:56   #1
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Yamaha Raider

Yeah, there's a few things I don't like about the looks, but I sat on one last weekend, and would really like to move up to one of these from my V-Star.

Moto Club

Awesome power, and from the reports I've seen, handles very well for a big bike.
Old 02-11-2008, 18:37   #2
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
I sat on one at the dealer. It seemed comfortable, but the pipes look stupid. It has gotten good reports from the mags, so far. They rate it higher than the Harleys (like that's a surprise).
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 18:40   #3
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

I've got a butt without a lot of padding, I thought the seat was pretty hard.

I didn't like the pipes at first, but the more I look at them, the better they get somehow.

I'm 6' and have fairly long arms, so the handlebars fit pretty well, but I think a short driver might have a tough time on long trips with the standard setup.
Old 02-12-2008, 17:51   #4
codivecop

Send a message via Yahoo to codivecop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesticidal View Post
I'm 6' and have fairly long arms, so the handlebars fit pretty well, but I think a short driver might have a tough time on long trips with the standard setup.
And just how long are these rides you speak of?????

IBA# 30472
codivecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 18:27   #5
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codivecop View Post
And just how long are these rides you speak of?????

Nothing like what you do, hard-ass...

Old 02-12-2008, 18:55   #6
codivecop

Send a message via Yahoo to codivecop

Quote:
Nothing like what you do, hard-ass...

Moto Club

Moto Club
IBA# 30472
codivecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 17:36   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Firm seats are good for long ride. You don't want sagging foam for seat cushions.
Old 02-15-2008, 17:39   #8
Halojumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Firm seats are good for long ride. You don't want sagging foam for seat cushions.

It still has to be a balance. A board is nice and firm, but you wouldn't want to ride on that very long.
Old 02-19-2008, 00:24   #9
White Buffalo
No Compromise.

They ever get the valve problem taken care of in those motors?
Old 02-19-2008, 00:29   #10
White Buffalo
No Compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halojumper View Post
They rate it higher than the Harleys (like that's a surprise).
Cool, so in 7 years, when you need to do a top end rebuild on it, it shouldn't be a problem finding parts to do it.... oh wait, that's right, they'll have already moved on to the next "greatest thing", making that bike and most parts for it obsolete. Eh, I'll pass.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:01   #11
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Looks like someone has an erection problem with Yamaha.

I've had a Harley. Still trying to get rid of the oil stain in my garage. Harley's also had some issues with cams, and have also moved on to the latest and greatest engine design.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55   #12
Halojumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Buffalo View Post
Cool, so in 7 years, when you need to do a top end rebuild on it, it shouldn't be a problem finding parts to do it.... oh wait, that's right, they'll have already moved on to the next "greatest thing", making that bike and most parts for it obsolete. Eh, I'll pass.
What you say might be true, but if you're going to be so afraid of that that you stay with outdated technology that you know will never be updated, then I suppose that's your choice. BTW, my more then ten year old Valkyrie is past that magical 7 year rebuild point and there is no sign of it needing anything other than regular scheduled maintenance. I prefer to buy a bike, based on function, not fear. YMMV
Old 02-19-2008, 14:38   #13
White Buffalo
No Compromise.

Quote:
Looks like someone has an erection problem with Yamaha.

I've had a Harley. Still trying to get rid of the oil stain in my garage. Harley's also had some issues with cams, and have also moved on to the latest and greatest engine design.
I got no problem with yamaha, except the horror stories I hear from my buddy that works at the maintenance dept. of American motorsports here in nashville. Hondas, great.... yamaha, not so much...
And just to show I'm not biased, I'll post pics of my xs650 chopper when I get home from work... The japs did an alright job copying the design from the brits, they just cheaped out in several depts of that motor, mainly electrical. And that's a trend they aven't seemed to stop.

Not a harley or nothing kind of guy, I like R1's just fine... love riding my buddys. Their star bikes are disposable though. If that fits your bill, have at it, me, I like the fact that I'm gonna be able to rebuild my motor anytime it may need it. How many 50 year old metrics (other than the brits) you see rolling around just fine, putting real miles on them? Me, not many. There's a reason for that.
Old 02-19-2008, 14:40   #14
White Buffalo
No Compromise.

Quote:
What you say might be true, but if you're going to be so afraid of that that you stay with outdated technology that you know will never be updated, then I suppose that's your choice. BTW, my more then ten year old Valkyrie is past that magical 7 year rebuild point and there is no sign of it needing anything other than regular scheduled maintenance. I prefer to buy a bike, based on function, not fear. YMMV
My motor is quite updated than what they had many years ago, small improvements is all it needs. If your happy with your Val, great (actually, best bike hondas built IMHO), but how many miles are on that odometer?
Old 02-19-2008, 14:51   #15
Halojumper

Quote:
How many 50 year old metrics (other than the brits) you see rolling around just fine, putting real miles on them? Me, not many. There's a reason for that.
You don't see too many 50 year old ones because they didn't make any real road bikes back then. But if you look at when they started making more road worthy bikes, and really look at it closely, I don't think you are going to find that the Harleys are the ones with the longevity and miles. Of course, everybody knows that one Harley guy with a million miles, but he is, by far, the exception, not the rule.
Old 02-19-2008, 14:54   #16
Halojumper

Quote:
My motor is quite updated than what they had many years ago, small improvements is all it needs. If your happy with your Val, great (actually, best bike hondas built IMHO), but how many miles are on that odometer?
It's mostly used as a commuter bike, so not all that many, really. It's just a tad short of 45k. I do know a number of Valk and Wing riders who are well into six figures, while I can't say I know any HD riders who are. That was true even back when I rode Harleys and wouldn't hang out with metric riders. Plus, around here, you don't see many Harley riders if it is below about 50 degrees. But, hey, they look and sound cool. It's all about the lifestyle...
Old 02-19-2008, 16:44   #17
White Buffalo
No Compromise.

Quote:
It's mostly used as a commuter bike, so not all that many, really. It's just a tad short of 45k. I do know a number of Valk and Wing riders who are well into six figures, while I can't say I know any HD riders who are. That was true even back when I rode Harleys and wouldn't hang out with metric riders. Plus, around here, you don't see many Harley riders if it is below about 50 degrees. But, hey, they look and sound cool. It's all about the lifestyle...
go take a look around your local 1% bar/clubhouse and take a look at the mileage on some of those bikes. Might change your view a bit.
Old 02-19-2008, 16:52   #18
Halojumper

Quote:
go take a look around your local 1% bar/clubhouse and take a look at the mileage on some of those bikes. Might change your view a bit.
There's a reason they are called 1%ers. They are a small, and relatively insignificant, segment of the biking population.
Old 02-19-2008, 17:02   #19
White Buffalo
No Compromise.

Quote:
There's a reason they are called 1%ers. They are a small, and relatively insignificant, segment of the biking population.
not gonna get into an internet arguement with a stranger about clubs and their importance, or your viewed lack there of, but they put the miles on their harley's, regardless of weather, that you say people don't... Ride what you like man, really. Safe travels to you and yours.
Old 02-19-2008, 17:11   #20
Halojumper

Quote:
not gonna get into an internet arguement with a stranger about clubs and their importance, or your viewed lack there of, but they put the miles on their harley's, regardless of weather, that you say people don't... Ride what you like man, really. Safe travels to you and yours.
As I said earlier, I said most don't. When I said insignificant, I meant statistically. I still contend that you can't generalize about any group based on 1% of them. As far as social insignificance, that's a whole other discussion.