Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:59   #1
PistolWhip
Ammo Whore

Moving to NJ? Have ?? about permit process?

This forum has been very quiet lately and I know there are people out there from NJ, so I figured I'd get a thread started to address current state laws, law changes and news about possible new proposals.

If your moving to NJ or you are not familiar with the Firearms laws here, the first thing you need to know is that the State of NJ is a registration state. Meaning that when you purchase a handgun, the make, model and serial # are registered with 3 places. The gun store that you purchased from, your local Police Department and the NJ State Police. This is only done with handguns, NOT long guns or shotguns.

In order to make a purchase of a firearm, you must first obtain a NJ State Firearms ID Card (or also known as a FID). To get that, you need to go to your local PD and file the proper paperwork. It will usually take anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks to get that back. The cost is regulated by State Statute and is currently $5.00. In most cases you need to make that payment via money order only. Call your local PD to find out how they want the payment, so as not to delay your process. The application also requires that you put down references of your character who must respond in writing to the investigating PD in order to complete the process.

Technically the statute reads that your permit applications must be processed within 30 days, but there are a lot of excuses that the PD's use to get around this and usually not because they care whether you have a gun or not. It is usually more because the process requires actions of a detective to complete and if the department does not have resources allocated specifically to FID processing (small PD don't have the man power), it unfortunately becomes a low priority under criminal investigations. Some people are not going to agree with my above statement, but it is what it is. My Police Department currently has one detective for 13 Patrol officers. You get the point. I suggest that when you fill out the application, you pick reliable references that live local to you, so that you can ensure that they respond in writing as quick as possible. That will help to avoid delays.

The FID card alone, will allow you to purchase long guns and shotguns within the State. There is no further waiting period or registration process for rifles and shotguns. MAKE SURE YOUR FID CARD IS CORRECTLY PRINTED with your current address (must be exactly the same as your drivers license). If you move, you must go to your new local PD and get the address changed or you will be turned down at the counter when trying to purchase.

If you are trying to purchase a handgun, you must further attain a pistol permit. You need a pistol permit for every handgun that you wish to purchase. You can apply for up to 3 pistol permits at a time and they are good for 90 days each. They are then renewable for a second 90 day period. The State regulated price for each pistol permit is $2 and again, the PD is required by statute to process the permit within 30 days. And again, it does not always happen that fast, but if your really wanted to fight the system you could bring the PD to court siting statute 2C:58-3(f) Good luck with that... My suggestion is to make sure that you have your applications clearly and accurately filled out, again with references that are reliable and close to you so that you can stay on top of them. My practice has always been to get 3 permits each time I apply. You can't go wrong having too many and if they expire, they expire. No big deal and no harm done, your just out $2. However even if you only intend to buy one pistol, if you later come across that deal you can't refuse, you'll have one on hand and not have to wait for the process again. YOU DO NEED TO FOLLOW THE SAME PROCESS EVEN IF YOU ARE BUYING FROM A PRIVATE OWNER! The same form needs to be filled out, but you are responsible for returning copies of the pistol permit to the local PD rather than the dealer doing it for you after purchase.

Please keep in mind that none of the above process will eliminate the need for the NICS check that the dealer will perform at the time of purchase. You will still be required to pay for that process if your buying from a State Licensed dealer. A private purchase does not require a NICS check.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:16   #2
PistolWhip
Ammo Whore

Some statutes that you should read if you intend to be a NJ resident, gun owner.

An example of a correctly written NJ State Statute within the Criminal Code (also known as "2C") would be "2C:39-3(b)."
That is defined as N.J.S. 2C chapter 39 sub chapter 3 part b.

All of New Jersey State Criminal Code 2C:39 (sub chapters 1 through 16). There are many sub chapters within that statute and all of them can be found simply by searching "2C:39" in most search engines. 2C:39 is the chapter of State Criminal code that deals with firearms laws and what constitutes criminal possession and or banned weapons.

2C:58 (1 through 16) deals with the purchase and sales of firearms. This chapter explains the process and lays out the mandated times, fees and expiration's that PD's must abide by during the application process. Most of 2C:58 is clerical definitions and does not contain actual criminal charges as applied to a resident or citizen. Still good reading though and could answer a lot of your questions about the process.
Old 03-05-2008, 13:07   #3
GRAM

Quick Question, PistoWhip...

I am going to be moving to NJ in about 6 months for a job and will be bringing some longguns/handguns with me. I'm all read up on NJ's gun laws and none of my stuff is on the prohibited list. I've also read how to transport my firearms legally into the state as well.

My question, as I understand registration of all firearms brought into the state, given they were purchased legally in my home state, is voluntary. I read this here:

http://64.23.13.102/nj/weaponlaws/5.html

"Registration of any firearm is strictly voluntary. As long as the firearm was purchased lawfully, it is legal to possess in New Jersey."

^ Is this true? Is the above in parentheses true?

Aside from that website, I've been having trouble finding another "likewise" answer to that question.

Thanks a bunch, GRAM.
GRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 19:12   #4
PistolWhip
Ammo Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAM View Post
I am going to be moving to NJ in about 6 months for a job and will be bringing some longguns/handguns with me. I'm all read up on NJ's gun laws and none of my stuff is on the prohibited list. I've also read how to transport my firearms legally into the state as well.

My question, as I understand registration of all firearms brought into the state, given they were purchased legally in my home state, is voluntary. I read this here:

http://64.23.13.102/nj/weaponlaws/5.html

"Registration of any firearm is strictly voluntary. As long as the firearm was purchased lawfully, it is legal to possess in New Jersey."

^ Is this true? Is the above in parentheses true?

Aside from that website, I've been having trouble finding another "likewise" answer to that question.

Thanks a bunch, GRAM.

I've read the statutes thoroughly and have found nothing that backs up the claim on that web site. That doesnt mean that's it's not true, because I have not found anything that would lead me to believe the contrary either.
I WILL find a definitive answer for you however in the meantime, I would check with the Chief of Police in the town you intend to move to about at least getting a firearms ID card. You may be able to fill out the paperwork and at least get the ball rolling on that while you await your move. I will almost guarantee that while you may not need to register your handguns, you will absolutely need a Firearms ID card to legally carry any gun to and from the range.

It takes a few months to get that back, so if the Chief will allow you to at least get that moving along, you will be one step ahead of the game when you actually get here.

Where are you moving to anyway? If your local to me, I can at least give the heads up on some good places to shoot and some good local gun shops.
Old 03-05-2008, 20:02   #5
PistolWhip
Ammo Whore

Legal owners of handguns moving into New Jersey -- mentally ill or not -- face none of this careful scrutiny. Once they arrive in New Jersey, they are not even required to register their handguns with the authorities, according to a state police firearms investigator, Detective Sgt. John Sherrard. If their job requires them to carry a loaded handgun, they must get a permit that requires a mental health check. But new residents, regardless of their mental health history, who come with a handgun bought legally in another state can keep the weapon legally at home without obtaining a permit or any kind of background check, Sergeant Sherrard said.

Looks like as long as you have firearms that are legal in this state (which most handguns are) you are good to go. Rifles and shotguns are not registered in NJ so as long as your not bringing in anything that the state lists on the band weapon list, your good to go. You can no longer register anything that NJ considers an "assault weapon," so I would suggest that if you have any, leave them with a relative your home state, sell them, or be very careful about your storage and use of them in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59   #6
GRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolWhip View Post
Where are you moving to anyway? If your local to me, I can at least give the heads up on some good places to shoot and some good local gun shops.
PistolWhip, thank you so very much for going the extra mile to find this out for me. Great to know I don't have to register anything, but like you said it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling on the Firearms ID card.

I'll be moving to Newark, and I have found a few good ranges up there.

http://www.anjrpc.org/cherry_ridge.htm

http://www.scfgpa.org/

http://www.obrpc.org/

Any other suggestions would be great.

Another question, I have a FL CCW and, of course, I know that's not valid in NJ. But, say, I want to get a new handgun, but don't want to go through the hassle of buying one in NJ. With my FL CCW I can drive over to PA and purchase a new handgun; would that then still be legal to bring the handgun back to my home in NJ? I would expect it still falls under "if it was bought legal in another state" type deal.

Thanks again, PistolWhip.
GRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 13:52   #7
Coney Island 1

Gram, I have lived here for the past 15 years. All I can say is the gun laws stink. It is basically a very blue state, all the politicians want to do is to keep putting more and more gun laws that do nothing to stop the criminals, but hinder the law abiding gun owner from the 2nd ammendment. Otherwise it is great in the summer all the beaches are nice!!