Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2008, 14:45   #1
tacticaldawg

Is joining the military a "calling"?

Talked to my buddy who went to Navy, said he felt "the calling", and signed up. On the other hand, I had an Army buddy said it's just something to do after high school, so he joined. So is it really a calling or not?
tacticaldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 15:19   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

For some people it is, for others, it's a job. You can usually tell the difference.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 15:44   #3
ArodJohns

I'm not a soldier (I got refused when I tried to enlist.....in all of the branches), but for me it is. Every day I wake up and think something to the effect of "I wish I was over there" or "I wish I were putting on a uniform today".

I can't even really explain why, it's just something that's at the very center of who I am.

Thank You. To all of the veterans, past and present. Thank you all.

Every day is exactly the same
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 16:33   #4
USMC1369

Send a message via Yahoo to USMC1369
Not in my opinion. It's a Commitment.

Old 02-14-2008, 18:21   #5
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

It wasn't a calling for me either. I went in because my family had a history of service and unlike my older brothers I simply wasn't cut out for college. I did find however that the Marines was a good fit for me. I liked the people, the way of life and the culture. I gave the USMC 20+ and they gave me basck exactly what I earned. There are two very different types in the service. Those who have seen combat and those who haven't. If you really want to know what Vets are all about drop by your local VFW in the morning to have a few cups of coffee and shoot the bull about what ever comes up. We'd love to have you and you'd be surprised how many of us don't fit the sterotype.

I like what 1369 said. For me it was more of a committment than calling.

Last edited by Marine8541; 02-14-2008 at 18:24..
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 13:19   #6
kry226

I think its a calling that comes in many different forms. Commitment, nothing else to do, etc. For me, it was a pure, unadulterated Calling from God. I was in college and suddenly couldn't sleep at night because I was thinking about joining the Army so much. After about a month of two hours of sleep per night, I got the hint. I went saw the recruiter and quit school at the end of that semester. 13 years and eight ranks later, I still love what I do and cannot imagine doing anything else...except maybe retiring, buying a ranch, building a wall around it, stockpiling guns and ammo, and waiting for the Revolution.
Niner #226
10 Ring #226
G17, G26, G20SF
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 19:16   #7
xxiv
NRA Member

Send a message via ICQ to xxiv Send a message via AIM to xxiv
My Dad was in the British Parachute Regiment, as a pathfinder/recce Para.

I felt the need to follow in his footsteps and become a Paratrooper, so I did.
Old 02-24-2008, 13:43   #8
AF-Odin

You will find all sorts of reasons that people join. Some can't find anything better to do or are looking to learn a trade/skill or earn money for college. Some are there for the bonus money--you dangle $20+k bonus money in front of a kid working at McDonalds with no health insurance and a wife and baby! Some feel the need to serve for whatever period of time. It boils down to what is it to YOU personally. For me it was a calling. I put on a uniform at 18 years old and served on active duty till I was 51. I am still working in direct support of soldiers and will continue to do so as long as I am not totally retired and even then, will still feel a dedication to the military and consider myself a military professional until I am laid to rest in the local Veterans Cemetary with my comrades who all served honorably for whatever reason. I once equated a true military professional with the priesthood, it can be a life-long calling. This is not to denigrate those good soldiers who did their 2, 3, 4 years or even 20 or 30, but still believe it to be a job. They were good soldiers too, they just had a different attitude about service to the country.
Old 02-24-2008, 20:31   #9
kickstand

Send a message via AIM to kickstand
I've been set on law enforcement for a while, so one of the reasons I joined up was to get training/experience for a career in LE, or if I decide to, I can stay in for a full career in the Army. Or a transfer to federal LE would keep me earning points in the federal system.

I've always wanted to do something that gave me a sense of making a difference. I was initially biology/pre-med in college, but realized I wasn't that excited about that kind of science, and went the criminal justice/LE route.

The bonus and college money wasn't a big reason I joined, but it's such a perk! I went to talk to a recruiter having no idea I would get compensated like that right off the bat. Even in the Reserves I got a $20,000 bonus, and I get plenty to pay the bills and more just for staying in school like I planned on anyway. But now I get the experience and pride of being in the military.

I'm only signed at this point, I don't leave for basic/AIT until the middle of May. I'm really excited about it.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:12   #10
Glolt20-91

I enlisted in the Navy to serve our country, never was a fleet sailor and wore fatigues most of the enlistment. In true swabby fashion, we set an adjacent hill on fire at Camp Pendleton during a night fire practice.

I don't have the words to describe the feelings of pride, honor and humility to have served with a great group of guys in Vietnam. Every night was like watching intense lightening in a thunderstorm; sometimes Coast Guard cutters would do some effective I&I fire with their five inch guns.

Came home, went into law enforcement and later joined a National Guard unit and received some specialized training.

For me every generation of our family has served in the military since the Revolutionary War, so it was natural for me to enlist out of high school. My father was 101st Airborne in WWII and he and some of his buddies gave me a crash course in 'military science'.

Kry226, bought a ranch and it's a dream come true, all kinds of wild critters, animals too.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07   #11
md2lgyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticaldawg View Post
Talked to my buddy who went to Navy, said he felt "the calling", and signed up. On the other hand, I had an Army buddy said it's just something to do after high school, so he joined. So is it really a calling or not?
It was for me, sorta. I had pretty much decided to join the Navy when the draft board "came calling." Ended up retiring with 24 years.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:03   #12
g.c54

A few days into basic training you will be able to easly tell who felt the calling, and who is just there for somthing to do after highschool
g.c54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:55   #13
NoBody Glock

I felt the "calling" 22 years ago and am still serving. I've moved my family seven times, been deployed 36 times, and have fought in four combat "actions." I wouldn't put my life on-the-line or do this to my family for a "job" or just a paycheck.

You do it because you love our country and want to protect/defend our Constitution. God Bless America.
NoBody Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:05   #14
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.c54 View Post
A few days into basic training you will be able to easly tell who felt the calling, and who is just there for somthing to do after highschool

In 20+ years I saw just as many “true believers” peter out at boot and in the Fleet as anyone else. I had to option out some of the most gung ho guys there were because they simply didn’t have what it takes. Where someone gets their motivation isn’t nearly as important as having motivation.
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 20:25   #15
nexlegio

For me, I believe it is a calling. Since I was young I have felt the calling. with this in mind, next year I will be enrolled in a 4-year ROTC program at UF and after college, I will be an officer in the Army.
nexlegio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 20:19   #16
the iceman
CLM Number 276
Proud Veteran

I really thought it was a calling but after 6 years I felt like the call was gone and it was time to pursue the next step in life.

No regrets though, no regrets!
Old 04-30-2008, 20:22   #17
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Yep, every time a sick killer screams, "Jihad!", he's begging for you to button up, ship out, and bust his kneecaps with a small caliber shotgun. He's calling you from the bottom of his soul for you to come and put him out of his misery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17   #18
11P&Y

It is a calling if you answer the phone when the recruiter gives you a call. I joined because it was something i always wanted to do. Not a calling, but just something i could tell my grandkids i did.

Oh and the money is not worth it when your getting shot at or huddled down in a bunker during Iraqi mortar fire practice on your FOB. I have been shot at many times and had the pleasure of firing back. In 2005 a Mortar took out the living trailer two away from mine and it killed a few people, including a kid in a trailer next to mine. I can tell you first hand, my 18,000 dollar signing bonus is not worth the risk but i am here and having fun sometimes doing some stuff that nobody in the States will EVER be able to say they did......legally.

That said, i am not a staunch hater of the Army, but it is not for everyone, you got to have something wrong with you to love this stuff over here. I love it, but miss my family.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:27   #19
11P&Y

HEY ICEMAN... How did you get the NATO Metal??
Old 05-01-2008, 14:00   #20
bluegrassboy

At first for me it was a Job and definitely a commitment...but over time it sure does grow on you, I've got 18 years so far and I'll likely stay longer than 20 before I retire........might say it gets in your blood.......

Now it's easy for me..I'm single with no Children....I don't see how folks with young families do it these days with all the deployments....many of my best friends have been through divorce.....

for the last poster....My NATO Medal came from Bosnia...

Last edited by bluegrassboy; 05-01-2008 at 14:04..
bluegrassboy is offline   Reply With Quote