Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 15:48   #21
Solesurvivor

Gun shop owners are like every one else. Some are decent, knowledgable people, and willing to work out a fair deal. Others are not decent, know less about guns than my daughter, and out to rip off people as much as they can. I've been to guns shops around the country. I always found the smaller shops located away from major cities to be the best. They may not have the selection, but the do have decency and stand behind their product. The bigger guys try to oversell you on your needs, and are more likely to be ***** wipes because they are only intersted in making an easy score. IE... selling a fully loaded Noveske with Beta mags, and enough accessories to choke the local SWAT team. Owners CAN be the worst of the lot. I have had one here PHX try to upsell me from a Stag AR he had on sale for $725 (only one in stock, and probably advertised to bring in customers) to a loaded LMT with a fully loaded rail,optics, lazers, etc.. for darn near $3500. When I insisted on the Stag, he told me that it actually was sold but they had not taken it off display. The rest of my visits there for my other needs, I was basically ignored. It's better to find a good reliable FFL and order your products from the net, in my opinion. I get most of my stuff on line any more, just to avoid those types of situations.
Old 02-17-2008, 17:41   #22
Cambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy96 View Post
True, lets assume that a GTer is lying and that a gun shop guy was polite friendly and professional. Thats realistic.
Big +1 on that! Most gun shops I have dealt with in New Jersey are incredibly rude and work hard to turn away customers. I will believe the customer almost every time over the gun shop "worker". The gun industry needs improved customer service, no question about it.
Old 02-17-2008, 18:09   #23
carbofan21

this is why i buy mostly over the internet, and have them transferred to a local pawn broker, who appreciates the $20 fee

there's only 1 place in vegas that i will occasionally do business with, because the owners are nice and their prices aren't too bad. but i'll only buy from the owner of the store directly, and not the 3 idiot salespeople they employ
Old 02-17-2008, 18:14   #24
1851coltnavy

Having done business with him for the last 19 years, I can only relate my personal experience with Steve, owns EDI Plus: he sells his wares at a fair price, gives good value for trades, and has gone out of his way to accomodate me when he did not have to do so.

Rarely have I been in his store when he did not have a bunch of customers, with more streaming in the door behind me. I wait my turn, get what I need, and leave satisfied. Steve may seem brutally straightforward to some, but I know him as sincere, honest, and hard-working.
Old 02-17-2008, 18:14   #25
wayne

Send a message via ICQ to wayne
bbeach,
I'm also from Nixa. I have never been to this gun shop(didn't know it was there) but this guy sounds like the same guy who owned Steve's gun shop that used to be located on 160 right before you get into Springfield. A gun shop called 417 is in the same little shopping center that Steve's used to be. It supposedly has a good rep. If this Steve is the same person, he has a reputation in this area of being a real A-hole. He is famous for always having a bunch of cronies hanging out in his store, doing nothing except bs'ing

I bought my last Glock at a place called Leven Gun Works. Its located north of SPG off of hwy 13 near Fantastic Caverns. He is a SPG cop. Its good to see someone else from Nixa on here. Take care.

Wayne
Old 02-17-2008, 18:33   #26
Sovietsky Soyuz
NRA Member

I don't know what it is about gun shops like this, but it seems that I have been in several where the people behind the counters act like you are BOTHERING them, and they are total jerks, and without exception there always seems to be a group of their "cronies" hanging around shooting the bull........but they don't seem too interested in selling anything. It is a wonder how some of them manage to stay in business....Granted, I have worked many gun shows myself, and the "tirekickers" do at times get to be quite annoying, BUT.....you never know which one of those people is walking around with a wad of money burning a hole in his/her pocket, just waiting to buy something. Sometimes you'd be surprised......therefore I think it prudent to treat all of them the way you'd want to be treated. Sometimes the "tirekicker" doesn't buy anything, but lo and behold he comes back with one of his buddies to your table and sure enough, that buddy buys something from you because you were nice enough to answer all the "dumb" questions that were asked of you by the "tirekicker". Grin and bear it, sometimes it pays off, LOL......besides, there is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to guns, especially from a novice. Sometimes you find a neophyte who is a "fence sitter" and you never know, you might just get a convert who will jump over to our side. I've seen it happen. I try to be as helpful as I can because of this. I want people to have a good impression of gunowners, Lord knows we need all the help we can get!

Sorry I got off on a tangent here, LOL......It just seems like rude treatment seems to be the norm rather than the exception nowadays when it comes to guns shops and gun show vendors...........
Old 02-17-2008, 18:49   #27
James Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solesurvivor View Post
Gun shop owners are like every one else. Some are decent, knowledgable people, and willing to work out a fair deal. Others are not decent, know less about guns than my daughter, and out to rip off people as much as they can. I've been to guns shops around the country. I always found the smaller shops located away from major cities to be the best. They may not have the selection, but the do have decency and stand behind their product. The bigger guys try to oversell you on your needs, and are more likely to be ***** wipes because they are only intersted in making an easy score. IE... selling a fully loaded Noveske with Beta mags, and enough accessories to choke the local SWAT team. Owners CAN be the worst of the lot. I have had one here PHX try to upsell me from a Stag AR he had on sale for $725 (only one in stock, and probably advertised to bring in customers) to a loaded LMT with a fully loaded rail,optics, lazers, etc.. for darn near $3500. When I insisted on the Stag, he told me that it actually was sold but they had not taken it off display. The rest of my visits there for my other needs, I was basically ignored. It's better to find a good reliable FFL and order your products from the net, in my opinion. I get most of my stuff on line any more, just to avoid those types of situations.
Which shop were you at if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-17-2008, 18:59   #28
blownhemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeach View Post

The worst part about this for Steve and EDI Plus Gun Shop is that my neighbor that accompanied me, his wife works for a competing gun shop across town and she now knows the way in which we were treated. Do you think she'll ever recommend someone go to his shop? The kicker is that I work for one of the two largest outdoor retailers in the Country (I'm sure if you shop at either of them and you put two and two together with the location you can figure out which one!) and unfortunately for Steve and EDI I come into contact with more than my fare share of hunters, shooters and outdoor enthusiasts and therefore will have the opportunity to tell this story to many a potential customer.

I've gotta ask. You say your buddy's wife works for a gunshop? Why didn't you just go there? Surely you'd get a better deal and better service in a shop where you know the people that work there.

Then you mention you work for a large outdoors retailer. Do you sell guns there? if so why would you go to another shop?

Poor treatment in gun stores is not unheard of but your story needs a little more explaining I think.
Old 02-17-2008, 19:16   #29
aaronrkelly

I suspect Steve MAY have knew your neighbors wife worked at the other gun store and you were casing his place.

Not condoning his behavior, just shedding some light on a possible reason.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe
Old 02-17-2008, 19:25   #30
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGE View Post
So a complete stranger tells you that your wife is cheating on you. Do you....

A. Pimp slap the stranger

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

All of the above???
Old 02-17-2008, 19:29   #31
Zodiac
NRA Member

Listen, give up the grief!!!! If the gun shop owner was a salesman, he would be selling cars, where he would be making a hell of a lot more money! He probably is "in charge" because his dad is out for lunch! So instead of getting pi__ed off, work him. Learn what makes him be your friend (this could be your hang up) work him to be your friend and get that gun at a great deal! Take your emotions out of the purchase and you will have the upper hand to get what you want!

OR

Maybe he just sized you up right and you were there to just jerk him off!!!

What do you think???????
Old 02-17-2008, 20:26   #32
moccw
NRA Member

what a prick, you shouldnt be treated like that, especially if you are a customer looking to purchase somthing. I live in MO but up farther north, right by Columbia. I hope you can find a better gun shop, I wouldnt ever go back to that one!!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 20:44   #33
1slo10

I would but go early when they first open maby his friends want be there and deal with him one on one then I would buy a new handgun a p22 mag and then say well if you would have not acted like that the other day I would have bought it then or maby more later on but I will never shop here again if I'm going to be treated like Sh**. with poor customer service.
Old 02-17-2008, 20:59   #34
Glk2021

I thought the only jerks were in the Bullet Stop in Wichita. That place is just as bad or worst. I used to go there for years but after the current owner bought it, it has gone down hill. The people that work there are rude at best. I spent 20 minutes in there looking at guns in the cases and reloading supplies and the "help" saw me but never asked to help or even cared I was there. I've spent alot of money in that place but never again. The last time I bought a gun from them, they could have cared less. When I finally got someone to wait on me and told them I wanted to buy a gun the reply was," let's see if you can pass a background check", then after it went through he says, "how many more can we sell you". I paid my money and left, never to return. They are not good for the gun industry and salesman there not. I know several people that justed to be long time customers that will never return as well. Good thing Gander Mountian came to town.
Old 02-17-2008, 21:14   #35
ArodJohns

Quote:

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

Been there, done that. I even have the T-shirt.

I gathered more info, and then promptly vacated the side of the state to avoid any violent out bursts.

Every day is exactly the same
Old 02-17-2008, 21:27   #36
4095fanatic

I posted on my Missouri board, I'll see if I can get some answers.
Old 02-17-2008, 21:35   #37
gladiator

I bet you never see the Anti-Gun people like the Brady Bunch act like this STEVE fellow , this is an example why us gunowners are losing an the anti-Gun people are winning because they stick together and there are no steve's around the Brady Bunch.
Old 02-17-2008, 21:38   #38
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Rude slobs in a gunshop? No kiddin....
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Old 02-17-2008, 21:41   #39
bbeach
Kstateskier

hey Blownhemi

hey blownhemi

My buddys wife's shop isn't open on Saturdays and he didn't have any Walther stuff. I wasn't in the gun shop to buy a Walther - as I had just bought a P22 Friday evening. I was merely looking for extra magazines but knew from the phone call that Steve didn't have them in stock. Really we just wanted to check out his store and see what he had since it was close to our homes and we could shop there when we needed things - ammo -etc.

Yes I work for a large outdoor retailer (Well I work for their corporate office) but in this particular case they were overpriced on the P22 and they didn't have any accessories or extra magazines either.

Hope that explains my situation better.

And AaronKelly there's really no way Steve could have known my neighbor or put him together with his wife from the competing gun store. And even if he did we weren't in there being threatening. I was honestly in there seeing what he had for future purchases.

This evening I spoke with a coworker who's lived in the Springfield area all his life and he knew Steve right off the bat and has also had similar dealings with him and his rudeness.
Old 02-17-2008, 21:43   #40
sparky241

Quote:

B. Shoot your wife

C. Gather more info

D all of the above J/k

Closed Thread