SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2002, 14:02   #1
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

A Muzzleloader That's Good For 500 Yards!!!

Have you guys seen this new muzzleloader yet?

The manufacture is Ultimate Firearms & they are located out of Howell Michigan. (Southeastern MI)

Their new Model 500 muzzleloader was featured on Great Lakes Outdoors (MI TV program) a few weeks back.

Anyway, here are the stats on their new ML gun as Iíve read:

It uses 200 grains of Pyrodex powder in its 1-26 rifled barrel. They say itís good for up to 500 yards of hunting!

They are pushing a:

*180 grain bullet @ 3,161 fps
*200 grain bullet @ 3,004 fps
*300 grain bullet @ 2,909 fps

It seems like a real cannon to me & Iíd love to try one out. Anyone else know a thing about this?

It is currently for sale for a mere cost of $1,400!;P
Old 07-16-2002, 16:48   #2
mpol777
Feral Member

that'd be great for "primative weapons" season. it's hard to believe some muzzle loaders can still fall into that category.
Old 07-16-2002, 20:00   #3
tjpet

mpol777,

You sure said it alot nicer then I would have.

tjpet
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:23   #4
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

Quote:
Originally posted by tjpet
mpol777,

You sure said it alot nicer then I would have.

Actually, this type of muzzleloader could be a great hunting tool for us gents stuck in the "shotgun only" zones.

It's hard to beat a muzzleloader in the accuracy & range department in a muzzleloader -v- shotgun debate during the regular "gun season".

I use a flint-lock most of the time for the whitetail "muzzleloading season" here in MI... & it's not even required that I do so either!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:31   #5
RJ Schuknecht

You could use that muzzleloader in the shotgun zone where it is illegal to use a .44mag carbine.
RJ Schuknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:34   #6
mpol777
Feral Member

my dad has a TC black diamond. i didn't know what to expect the first time we took it out, but that is a damn nifty setup. i bet the boys back in the civil war wish they were shooting these. it was much more accurate than i had expected and loading was very fast.

whenever laws prohibit something (ie hunting with rifles) then technology will bring every other option up to speed. just look at the leaps made in compound bows, muzzleloaders and slug guns.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:45   #7
method

The last thing a gun company should state is that their new hunting rifle is good for 500 yard shots. I'd venture to say that about 1% of hunters are capable succesfully making a lethal hit on game at such range, using a hunting rifle under field conditions. What I want is for someone to produce smokeless powder-capable traditional front loaders. Fiberglass stocked and scope sighted stainless inlines aren't my cup of tea for muzzleloaders.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 14:08   #8
Big_Jim

I too saw that show about this new rifle. I'm glad the technology of the gunmakers is advancing but, I still don't see a need for a 500 yd muzzleloader. That kind of gun can really damage the muzzleloader seasons in Michigan and maybe some other states. I'm sure there is an application for it somewhere but I won't be running out to get one.
Big_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 13:00   #9
Glock You!

Come on guys, funny how fans of the Glock, the most innovative and advanced hangun design of its time can be so down on the technological advances in muzzleloaders. I have not seen this new gun but find it very interesting. Do they have a website?

Another great new advancement is the new muzzleloader from Savage Arms that shoots smokeless powder. No more long sessions cleaning the gun immediately after shooting it. I don't know that the ballistics are much superior to other muzzleloaders but convenience is nice.

Yes, I am in one of those states that only allow shotguns so this might make me somewhat biased but if you go out and shoot a deer every year with your .270 or .30-06 or whatever then don't whine to me about modern in-lines being unfair.;1
Glock You! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:01   #10
Gunnut 45/454

I loved to see someone shoot this!!!

200 Grains of powder? This gun has got to be built like a tank-heavy! I've shot 120gr in my .50 cal with 385gr bullets and it kicked the crap out of me. Recoil was like shooting an elephant gun and my gun is not light just under 9 lbs!!! Hey If you like getting the crap kicked out of you more power to ya!! At $1400 why bother. I agree not many hunters can hit at 500 yards including me. My personnel limit is 350 yds that's "my limit" not my guns. Beside what the challenge in killing something that doesn't even know your thier!! Ever get close enough to touch the animal your going to shoot? I have many times. Are we talking hunting or Sniping?
For you Michagin hunters a good way to get rid of this problem would be to have them change the criteria for what is a muzzle loader- say .45-54 cal 70 -120 gr charge wt's etc. PA has got it right -want to hunt the old way leave your BS inline at home- it's flintlock and round ball baby try and hit something past 150 yds with that! PA makes you be a hunter otherwise your freezer is empty;f

IE the intent of the ML season was to allow Primative methods to be used!!! Dah. I'm not a purest but I do agree with the intent. Even with all the advances with bows -you don't see or here of bow hunters shooting 150 yd shots at deer if they do there stupid!!!

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 08-09-2002 at 11:05..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote